What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SPIT Senior Product Improvement Technician :D

Well, atleast I have my aspirations and dreams still, and am plenty content with all this screwing around, so it all works as it should.

I made some more components for the jig today, but not much else.

CF Macklin Jig 2016-06-18 001.jpg

Flew a few rockets. Holy crap it was hot.

Highlight was my Mobius carrying Ventris on an AT G138. Very quick trip to 2000'.

Video: [video]https://youtu.be/0C4Tzvtpv-4[/video]

Flew a few rockets. Holy crap it was hot.

Highlight was my Mobius carrying Ventris on an AT G138. Very quick trip to 2000'.

Video: [video]https://youtu.be/0C4Tzvtpv-4[/video]

Did you see any of those Gila Monsters?

My Son is leaving for a weak long paintball thing tomorrow, so I'm up late tonight making some composite armor panels for him to take to camp.
They will definitely absorb a paintball, but I measured his arms like a Tailor would, and made them accordingly to deflect the debris of impacts away from his Head/Neck area.
They may be worthless, and/or he may forget I even made them when he gets to camp, but if he uses them and they are kick-ass, then that's ok too.:)
They are made of foam and fiberglass, so it's not like they will be heavy, and from experience I can tell you that if a piece of protective gear is heavy or uncomfortable, you tend not to use it.

If they stand up to a week of running, gunning and jumping, and falling out of the occasional tree, the method I used to make them might be worth using on a fin can.

Arm Armor 2016-06-19 001.jpg

Last edited:
His first excuse was something about a busted nosecone... Whatever. -I supplied both rockets this time.

And then I got to thinking - it is Sunday, and Fathers day, <sigh>

I let him win.

Twice.

Next month - Demon 54 Drag Race @ Bong.

DSCN0597a.jpg

DSCN0598a.jpg

Next month - Demon 54 Drag Race @ Bong.

Be careful on that. Today we had the demon sport drag race at Bong. Out of 3 participants, I was the only one that used the agreed upon motor (G53-FJ).

Tim the Wildman- put in a G138
CZTeacherman- Tried to "out Tim Tim" and put in a H163WT.

I lost the race, but at least I can look at myself in the mirror and know that I'm the only one that fought a fair fight :)

I'd painted the ASP in Colonial Red years ago, and applied the kit's first decals. I stopped after the first couple, resigning in disgust. The kit's decals were oddly thick and unwieldy.

So, she's sat 'til this afternoon when I chipped and sanded the decals off, roughed the paint overall, and shot a coat of semi-gloss white. She's a Blank Canvas, again, ready for a coat of 2 X Real Orange, upon which, Sandman's Fresh Blue & White Decals r'gonna POP, Extra-Hard!

Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 9.23.33 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-06-19 at 9.23.44 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-06-19 at 9.24.00 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-06-19 at 9.24.08 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Placed an order for a few Estes rockets for my Secret Santa recipient !

First time ordering direct through Estes :) Hopefully one day they'll start shipping to Australia, too.

Had my kids over on the weekend. Got them all hooked up on the FPV I'm building into a rocket. They got a tour of the yard from the comfort of the couch! I have all the parts save for the low voltage alarm for the batteries.

As it stands, I've figured I can build the camera into a length of BT60 if I stack everything on top of each other - might be good for a test run before I go for something bigger :)

Krusty

I spent much of yesterday working on finishing the parts for the mid-power pad bank for URRG, and got to test-assemble everything late in the day. It got dark before I was done, so I wasn't able to get a good picture:
27758521686_f7cbc09421_b.jpg

Two mini-button rails, one micro-button rail, plus 1/4" & 3/16" rods, on fully adjustable and slide-able bases. And I managed to get the fins epoxied onto my 2.6" Orbital Interceptor before going to bed:
27717677621_8ef91d1dfa_b.jpg

Lots of trimming and sanding to get the wings to come up fairly flush with the tubes, while angling down at the same time. Lots of shavings and sand dust on the floor...

Built an Estes Savage two stage in about two hours. Then started on an Estes Ascender, it will also be a two stage rocket.
Also helped my wife Sharon fix a couple of pem nuts that came loose on her Gizmo XL. She flew it twice at LDRS, once on an M1790 Skidmark and also on an M2000 Redline.

Sounds kind of fun. I wonder if that is a full to job. Chief Screw Around with Stuff Officer - no, that doesn't spell anything.

Actually, if I recall, it's a program where literally every employee gets an hour a week to just kind of mess with their products to try to come up with something...

Received an awesome package of rockets and parts.
They will be put to good use.
Also made more parts for my Macklin Fin Jig, and re-rolled the tube I did this morning with daylight to make it better, plus the smaller tube for the flutter-by. I need to make a light as possible 13mm to 18mm adapter now so I can actually watch this bird flutter by a couple of times before it flutters bye-bye off in the distance. The OR file for this thing will be a learning experience, and I'll disregard all of it's data in favor of observable real life flight characteristics, flying it first on 13mm stuff with an adapter.
Also went to the hardware store to re-up on Nitrile Gloves, Respirator Cartridges and CA.

Flutter Bye-Bye CF 2016-06-20 004.jpg

Absolutely PERFECT Dry Fit!!!

Flutter Bye-Bye CF 2016-06-20 005.jpgFlutter Bye-Bye CF 2016-06-20 006.jpgFlutter Bye-Bye CF 2016-06-20 007.JPG

The Balsa fin is just for mock-up, as the actual is paper, FG and CF..

Last edited:
Actually, if I recall, it's a program where literally every employee gets an hour a week to just kind of mess with their products to try to come up with something...

Try to come up with?
I wonder what they do with the employees that can't come up with something?
An Hour? I could come up with something like 50-60 ideas in an hour, and that is why I am so slow to complete my projects. My mind is thinking of so many ways to use one single item, and I have all of these little experiments that turn into nothing going on, but I spend serious time with them, and every now and then, I come up with something like using CA to do CF, and it changes my world and available skill sets entirely. The rubberized Gorilla Brand CA is really a champ for this. If I did it without proper safety equipment I'de probably die.
I've even taken up using a fan outside to blow the fumes away even though I'm all geared up. Folks that drive past and see me in my yard making composite parts must think I'm crazy or making something illegal.
In between all that experimenting, I'm researching stuff like ways to make things on the Internet, or doing real life things like caring for my Elderly Diabetic Dog and Six Cats, My Son and my Elderly but Non-Diabetic Mom.

Something is all wrong with my computer now. Will try to check in from somewhere else tomorrow.:(

Last edited:
I spent much of yesterday working on finishing the parts for the mid-power pad bank for URRG, and got to test-assemble everything late in the day. It got dark before I was done, so I wasn't able to get a good picture:
27758521686_f7cbc09421_b.jpg

Two mini-button rails, one micro-button rail, plus 1/4" & 3/16" rods, on fully adjustable and slide-able bases. And I managed to get the fins epoxied onto my 2.6" Orbital Interceptor before going to bed:

Lots of trimming and sanding to get the wings to come up fairly flush with the tubes, while angling down at the same time. Lots of shavings and sand dust on the floor...

How about some closeups of the two rail pad in the foreground? Thanks!

How about some closeups of the two rail pad in the foreground? Thanks!

I'll see what I can do later on. I'm still waiting on some hardware to attach the legs properly.

Last night I got the legs epoxied together, then was able to do the epoxy fillets on the Orbital Interceptor's fins. With any luck, I'll be able to get a coat of primer on it tonight...

Interesting. Those look like the Solar Warrior 2-part fins, flipped upside-down:

IMG_0478.jpg

(that's my 2-tube double-solar-warrior I call "Twin Sun"

It does look similar, though Estes has done that sort of thing a bit over the years. The Centuri Laser-X does something similar as well. This is the rocket that I'm upscaling; it first showed up in the catalog for 1981:

attachment.php

My own clone:

image-img3152jpg-600-055715103304568.jpg

It does look similar, though Estes has done that sort of thing a bit over the years. The Centuri Laser-X does something similar as well. This is the rocket that I'm upscaling; it first showed up in the catalog for 1981:

My own clone:

image-img3152jpg-600-055715103304568.jpg

Very sharp looking!!

Today was busy...

I built a plywood box for our upscale Dragonfly (56"x32"x64").
I did the last two external fin fillets, one of which I messed up and will need to touch up.
I Bought a couple of RC plugs from the local hobby store to connect our altimeters to the switches.
I stopped by Mike Fisher's place to get some rail buttons, check out the motor hardware, and talk about the upcoming launch.
I bought a 32GB microSD card for our onboard camera at Best Buy.
I went to Home Depot. I was going to get some stuff for our automatic watering system (rocketry-related because my wife said we're not going to the launch if her flowers aren't getting watered), a pair of wire-strippers (can't find my old ones), and some heat-shrink tubing. I ended up driving home with a new 5x8 utility trailer. The wife thought the giant box on top of the Subaru was sketchy, so...

There were also swim lessons and new tire shopping in there somewhere.

Today was busy...

Finally made it to the point where I can do dry-fit mock up of nearly all the parts for my Macklin Fin Jig.:)
I want everything tweaked proper before I go putting the sides on.
I can fit the aluminum angles last.

Dry Fit Macklin Jig 2016-06-21 003.jpg

Back