What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coated several av-bay bulk plates with thin epoxy with no additives using a used Amazon gift card for a bit of scorch resistance. We'll see if it works later.

Started building the Fin Gusset Glassing Jig to make perfect TLP style fiberglass Fin Gussets for the 2.6" Sparrow AIM-7F.:)
It will be more of a press than a jig, but it will get the job done, holding the correct angle on the crease while the glass sets up.:)
Few more things to do to it, but I'm liking how it is turning out. It is large enough to do the gussets for three Sparrow missiles at a time.

Sparrow Gusset Glassing Press 2016-04-21 007.jpgSparrow Gusset Glassing Press 2016-04-21 008.jpg

Last edited:
I fitted an old Pelican case that I had laying around to hold my new Jolly Logic hardware:

26559142445_8ee81e9948_b.jpg

Sanding..... Sanding.... My PML Nimbus..... Sanding and more Sanding!! So many projects, so little time!IMG_0836.jpgIMG_0837.jpgIMG_0838.jpgIMG_0840.jpgIMG_0839.jpg

Wrote a little Perl script to generate templates for launch lug holes in paper transitions. That turned out to be quite a little geometry problem! I *think* I got it right, will find out when I try to cut one...

Re-assembled my Polecat Aerospace Goblin 5.5" nose cone/alt bay.

Dug out my L2 study guide for next month's launch(es)...LUNAR's monthly (in MAY?!) and TCC's Dairy Aire Annual. Heard that CTI is running a bit behind on deliveries in the aftermath of the fire. Thoughts and prayers to Jeroen and others injured in the fire.

Great day in the mail! Now do I do them or have someone else do it. hmmm. I sure dorked up the Eggtimer Wifi Switch a few months back!
Great Mail.jpg

That was quite a haul. I though I had a big delivery day with a new Hakko soldering station and some Pyrogen being delivered. I am officially jealous, sir.

I have a Hakko also. .. still trying to figure out the best tip for the eGG stuff ..

I have dorked up a few eGGs also.. now i can handle them without breaking them.

Was quite the shock at the last launch when i went to connect to my Quantums..and my wifi showed 6 wifi eGGs broadcasting. . Imagine how many will be at LDRS !

Wayco is winning eGGloft Altitude with his TX being utilized in recovery 28k ft plus

Kenny

Wasn't today, but it was yesterday, I ordered the vinyl for the 5.5" Cherokee-D from Mark at Stickershock23. The only change made to the original Estes decals other than size was to change the D-Power decal to a 98mm-Power. I just couldn't bring myself to call it a Cherokee-M.

I have a Hakko also. .. still trying to figure out the best tip for the eGG stuff ..

I have dorked up a few eGGs also.. now i can handle them without breaking them.

Was quite the shock at the last launch when i went to connect to my Quantums..and my wifi showed 6 wifi eGGs broadcasting. . Imagine how many will be at LDRS !

Wayco is winning eGGloft Altitude with his TX being utilized in recovery 28k ft plus

Kenny

I dorked one up too, but mine was when the nose cone it was traveling in experienced a sudden deceleration in pursuit of subterranean exploration (5 AGL to 7000 AGL to -4 AGL...all in about 30 seconds). Hopefully my soldering will not produce similar results. Conner did mine before, and he did well, but this is something I need to get better at.

What is your current best thinking on best tip? I ordered an additional 7 tip assortment with the station, so I have options.

Finally received this book:):

Scale Space modelling Book 2016-04-22 001.jpg

Also got more work done on my Fiberglass Angle Press from the previous post.
It's uncharted waters for me on that one, so I had to think about how to proceed for most of the day before accomplishing any building of the thing.
Sadly, I also had to play "Real Life" for a little while and do some things and chores, so I did not make much progress.

Last edited:
Finally clear coated my 3" Punisher that I got last Airfest. I have flown the HED nose cone on another rocket but I just finished the booster section today.
When the sun shines though that cherry red airframe, it's a thing of beauty.

GEDC0158.jpg

Continued refining my MMX Screw On Retainer. At this scale it is silly to work with tape.
I also stole the recovery gear from the TT so I can fly it tomorrow.

MMX Retainer Tail Cone! 2016-04-22 001.jpgMMX Retainer Tail Cone! 2016-04-22 004.jpgMMX Retainer Tail Cone! 2016-04-22 005.jpgMMX Retainer Tail Cone! 2016-04-22 006.jpg

Got the first coat of gloss paint on the Partizon and the final gloss coats on the MDRM. Now waiting on my decals from Mark at Stickershock to finish up the MDRM. I think I'm going to go for my Level 1 with the MDRM next month.

I finished sanding the edges of our last fin. I was finally able to dry-fit the fin can. It will fit through a 32" door, but just barely....

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I deleted the video because It was too embarrassing, but today I tried to fly my scratch built MMX rocket, but forgot to remove the small piece of masking tape that held it firm to the rod while I carried it outside to launch. :facepalm::facepalm:
It was a successful static test anyway.

The good news, neither the rocket or the pad were damaged, and my augmented MMX ignitor worked as well as ever.
The bad news, I feel like a total idiot, and since I was taking a Video, I got to re-live the feeling of being an idiot again and again.
I probably should have just posted my failure here to entertain everyone, but I'de like to forget about it.

I deleted the video because It was too embarrassing, but today I tried to fly my scratch built MMX rocket, but forgot to remove the small piece of masking tape that held it firm to the rod while I carried it outside to launch. :facepalm::facepalm:
It was a successful static test anyway.

The good news, neither the rocket or the pad were damaged, and my augmented MMX ignitor worked as well as ever.
The bad news, I feel like a total idiot, and since I was taking a Video, I got to re-live the feeling of being an idiot again and again.
I probably should have just posted my failure here to entertain everyone, but I'de like to forget about it.

Always have an extra motor with you. Flying some vintage motors, you get chuffers than bounce on the rod / rail a while before finally taking off etc. Static tests from dirty launch rods sticking rockets. All fun stuff to watch.

Oh my!!!

That is a thing of beauty!!!:clap:

Thanks! It is pretty - the wife didn't even complain about it sitting on her table.

I was disappointed to see this is a fin can and not a finned spool. Should still be quite nice when finished.

That would be kind of cool - a 98mm spool with fins! However, we'll be going the boring route and sticking it in the aft end of a rocket....

Whats really amusing is, I know how big this thing is going to be from following the build thread and those pictures don't really give much of an impression of just how big that fin can is....

I probably should have put a pop can in the picture for scale. ;)

Back