What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hosting another "build party" tonight in advance of our local low power launch. The Estes kit sale isn't helping. I think we'll likely finish off 15-20 kits tonight. Just in time to paint and fly next week.

Dismantled a crashed PML Quasar (not mine) to be able to get to the fins... scrapped off the old epoxy, and used Citrus paint stripper to remove the old paint job... fins are now the only surviving part to be used on a new 54mm rocket build for my 38mm hybrid motors.

Also worked some on my avionics for my 4" Black Dahlia rocket.

Last night, I finished cutting out the fins for the BT70-upscale of an Estes Teros that I'm planning. I got all done and was trying to figure out why they seemed flimsier than I'd have guessed, and realized I cut them from 3/32" basswood instead of the 1/8" I intended. So, I started over. The new 1/8" basswood fins are much stiffer, of course. Now I have to figure out how to make use of a set of 4 large but thin fins. Maybe I can cut them down to make a smaller rocket or something...

Took advantege of free shipping at Estes and ordered both the Sahara and Scion.

Build party last night finished 5 new rockets. Need to get them all painted so they can take to the skies a week from today.

Received my Estes 4th of July shipment. Scratching my head over the MIRV. Lots of foam and plastic, you will probably never see this on JimZ's plan list. Reminds me of a CATO, lots of pieces falling from the sky for recovery. Warning - Only enamel paint allowed!

Second coat of primer on scratch ATD, first project involving cardstock. Had REAL fun with 0.050" cardstock.

Second coat of primer on scratch ATD, first project involving cardstock. Had REAL fun with 0.050" cardstock.

FYI - what I've done was used a pizza roller to crease the cardstock. I tried scoring it with an Xacto first, but the card splits and it doesn't look good. The pizza roller is pointed enough to make a defined crease, but dull enough to compact the paper and not cut it. Once it was pre-creased, it folded into position well.

Helped my son finish his Fliskits thing-a-ma-jig and played around with future+simple green for a gloss coat. Completed my commemorative edition Aerobee-Hi.

Glued launch lugs to Estes V2 and planned the checkered pattern for the middle part.

1436498331237.jpg

Painted the build party rockets. My 4 year old daughter did a fantastic job on her pink/black with blue polka dot ones. She painted it all by herself with a brush, then did the fades all by herself with the spray can. Color me impressed. Hopefully, these will see first flights here next week.
CIMG4214.jpg

Prepped a few for Saturday. Myself and some of the DARS folks are trekking to Hearne, TX to join the Tripoli Houston launch. Looking forward to it very much.

3" Fav'rit 2B on a J500G
2.6" PAC-3 on an H115DM
2.6" Cherokee-I on a J570W

The Cherokee-I is trying to earn a name change. It sims to 6400 ft and Mach 1.06.

Yep, this was a blatant cross post from another thread, but it's the first rocket activity I've had in 3 months so I'm excited about it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 7
Prepped a few for Saturday. Myself and some of the DARS folks are trekking to Hearne, TX to join the Tripoli Houston launch. Looking forward to it very much.

3" Fav'rit 2B on a J500G
2.6" PAC-3 on an H115DM
2.6" Cherokee-I on a J570W

The Cherokee-I is trying to earn a name change. It sims to 6400 ft and Mach 1.06.

Yep, this was a blatant cross post from another thread, but it's the first rocket activity I've had in 3 months so I'm excited about it.

Would you be interested in sharing a .ork or .rkt file with the community for your Fav'rit 2B? Thats a beautiful scratcher.

Last edited:
Last night, I finished sanding my PS2 Argent and started the painting. Then I went on to cutting the body tubes for my Teros BT70 upscale, and marked/cut the fin slots. I also started the motor mount. This one should come together pretty quick.

FYI - what I've done was used a pizza roller to crease the cardstock. I tried scoring it with an Xacto first, but the card splits and it doesn't look good. The pizza roller is pointed enough to make a defined crease, but dull enough to compact the paper and not cut it. Once it was pre-creased, it folded into position well.
Rick, great minds think alike! ;)
I tried the pizza cutter but apparently was not putting enough pressure or have to get a better cutter as it did not work. I couldn't even dent the cardstock!

It takes me six passes with light pressure to cut through the card stock so I sliced (three passes), put the cuts on the outside of the fold, then set the seam with CA. A little FnF and the ducts came out great. I will have a build thread on this shortly, I need one more sanding and then red paint will start to flow.
Thanks
Bob

Attachments

• 20150709_080134.jpg
    20150709_080134.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Maybe it just had to be suitably dull. I had make multiple passes over the fold, and pushed pretty hard. I experimented with a scrap part first. But the pizza cutter itself did not cut the cardstock, only compressed it.

Second coat of Banner Red on ATD. Went flying today, a hair on the windy side. Every thing worked well but the Alien Invader did not have a good day, parachute in kit is too small! The parachute should be at least 15", not the 12" it comes with. Going to replace the pod and sticks, and fly it naked until I get the chute size right.

Launched 7 times with FVR. Got my wife to pack chutes and prep engines. Now she's hooked

I buttoned up my eGGfinder LCD remounting and reinforcement. Also sent some pics of my eGGfinder TRS mounted to the sled to local buddies.

Had a nice mini test of the devices with my android phone and the eGG GPS was dead on..my phone one was not as accurate..which was kinda weird..need to reboot and try again. Before we had the button mounted to the lcd board..now with the externally mounted button am getting familiar with the lcd and its menu functions.

Kenny

1436673250875.jpg

1436673270478.jpg

Did internal fillets and installed rear centering ring and engine retainer on my upscale Teros.

WP_003422.jpg

I spent the rest of the day out in the yard, though last night I also finished painting my PS2 Argent. Not that you can really tell in this crappy photo, but the color is Rustoleum Champagne Mist:

WP_003420.jpg

Last edited:
My son launched his Fliskits Thing-a-ma-jig which flew perfectly and deployed perfectly. ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1436676735.495361.jpg
He started the build on the fourth and made the right call with his patriotic paint scheme. I launched my first two stager, the Taser Twin, and stage one came back to the ground I good form. Never saw stage two again. Somewhere in the asteroid belt I think. It was fast and fun.

Went to my Mom's house and retrieved my 24mm Minimum Diameter rocket and my LPR launch pad/rail.
I was lonely without my rockets so I figured it would be good to have at least one here to fly if the mood strikes me.

.my phone one was not as accurate..which was kinda weird..
Kenny
Just remember one thing. Cell phones do not have a GPS receiver. It is a calculated location based on proximity and signal strength of cell phone towers. For an accurate location you need a real GPS receiver IE Garmin, TomTom, etc.

If you have to call Emergency Services ... always take the dashboard GPS as gospel!
Thanks, Bob

Back