What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prepped 5 rockets with my kid for tomorrow's launch. Leah decided to use stock stickers on her Patriot even with the custom paint job. I'm going to take a photo of her tomorrow holding this rocket. Some years from now she might appreciate the irony :=)

The sewer pipe rocket (I297SK for tomorrow's maiden) went together surprisingly fast. I poured the first glue on Wednesday, and this morning it was ready to fly.

Ari.

IMG_3503.JPG

Prepped 5 rockets with my kid for tomorrow's launch. Leah decided to use stock stickers on her Patriot even with the custom paint job. I'm going to take a photo of her tomorrow holding this rocket. Some years from now she might appreciate the irony :=)

The sewer pipe rocket (I297SK for tomorrow's maiden) went together surprisingly fast. I poured the first glue on Wednesday, and this morning it was ready to fly.

Ari.

That Patriot looks great. Tell Leah that she did a wonderful job on it.

Also, what did you use as a nose cone on the sewer pipe rocket? The Vulcan just looks awesome... as usual :)

Recieved some more Ebay March Madness,its for my B-Day,I quit smoking, its a deal I cant refuse,purchases I
talked me-self into buying.
When the lady at the PO handed me the 2 boxes,she said "This is becoming a regular thing."
I said "I have my moments."
I think thats 4 boxes ,6 rockets in about a week.
HOWEVER>>>> I shipped a box out today me-self.
I plan on applying some pigment to some paper tubing and balsa later today.
Wanted to launch some,but,wind whipping and I got asked to look at a house later this eve that my sister is looking to buy.
So, between the two,that puts the boots to launching.

arrow.jpg

Ah, the Canadian Arrow from the X Prize. That baby has kitbashing potential.

Around here, the boxes came to me :D instead of me coming to them. Estes Xarconian and Quest Cobalt. Xarconian because I'd been thinking about it for a time and BeerorKid's "Borky Xarconian cruiser build" thread was inspiring. And the Cobalt, actually, mostly for the stickers - already have a Cobalt partly built and want more of the radioactive sticker decals for another project. Happy to see Xarc has waterslide decals, been using them on plastic models for forty-five years and they work well and zen for me.
Have an idea for when time to fillet the 2nd body tube for Xarconian comes - have some brass strips from K&S metal wich are on hand for model train ad plastic model projects - tape one of the 1/8 to 1/4 inch width ones to the body tube to guide the knife; ain't no way I can cut laser straight freehand.

Wait a minute - What was that?!?!? "been using them on plastic models for forty-five years" "forty-five years"? :y:
Oh Lordy why do I feel old all of a sudden?

Got a little painting done: red on the nose cone and tube fins of the Four Square, red on the front of the Solar Sailer clone, another coat of white primer on the SA14 Archer and the Trident I and black primer on the Alien8

100_1938a.jpg

100_1939a.jpg

Oh no!!!!!!

Agreed. Can the local elec co halp?

Ari.

Those are awesome looking.

Got a little painting done: red on the nose cone and tube fins of the Four Square, red on the front of the Solar Sailer clone, another coat of white primer on the SA14 Archer and the Trident I and black primer on the Alien8

You have some sweet looking rockets there. Nicely done

WAITED ALL MORN FOR THE MAIL CARRIER

:)

IMAG3359 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Chirpy thing, BT-50 - BT-60 centering rings, BT-60 Baffles, and 24mm retainers from www.rocketarium.com

IMAG3360 by beerorkid, on Flickr

2 Bertha BT-60 Bertha nosecones and 2 BT-60 black pointy nosecones, BT-50 and BT-60 tubes, and a new 24mm AT RMS case to replace the one I lost from hobbylinc

IMAG3361 by beerorkid, on Flickr

6 sheets of light 1/8 ply from Balsa machining for some fin making in the future

IMAG3362 by beerorkid, on Flickr

and now that I have nosecones I am gonna build a Baby Bertha stock. I need to burn through some C6-5 engines. Might throw a baffle in there, but meh

IMG959549 by beerorkid, on Flickr

My bro's kid built the Der Red Max I got him for xmax and we plan on launching tomorrow. It is going to be a great day for sure. Love the colors he did on it.

Ah, the Canadian Arrow from the X Prize. That baby has kitbashing potential.

Around here, the boxes came to me :D instead of me coming to them. Estes Xarconian and Quest Cobalt. Xarconian because I'd been thinking about it for a time and BeerorKid's "Borky Xarconian cruiser build" thread was inspiring. And the Cobalt, actually, mostly for the stickers - already have a Cobalt partly built and want more of the radioactive sticker decals for another project. Happy to see Xarc has waterslide decals, been using them on plastic models for forty-five years and they work well and zen for me.
Have an idea for when time to fillet the 2nd body tube for Xarconian comes - have some brass strips from K&S metal wich are on hand for model train ad plastic model projects - tape one of the 1/8 to 1/4 inch width ones to the body tube to guide the knife; ain't no way I can cut laser straight freehand.

Wait a minute - What was that?!?!? "been using them on plastic models for forty-five years" "forty-five years"? :y:
Oh Lordy why do I feel old all of a sudden?

The Xarconian was fun. I kinda wish I would of done the decals right, but it is neat to see in flight. I bet you know, but a piece of 90 degree aluminum would of been great to use to get a good cut if I had known that for the tubes you half.

I plan on flying the rebuilt bird tomorrow on a C6-3

Waiting to hear what happens. My Xarc will be totally freelance paint job.
"And now for something completely different", as one man once said:
On an impulse whim picked up these to be passengers in that. Looked like they'd be narrow enough to fit in clear tube section which is payload bay. They are. Note tube next to one on right in the proverbial seafoam green.

IMG_3460_50_zps28e903ff.jpg

Waiting to hear what happens. My Xarc will be totally freelance paint job.
"And now for something completely different", as one man once said:
On an impulse whim picked up these to be passengers in that. Looked like they'd be narrow enough to fit in clear tube section which is payload bay. They are. Note tube next to one on right in the proverbial seafoam green.

IMG_3460_50_zps28e903ff.jpg

Barbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.......

Awesome

Went to my first club launch with LUNAR at Snow Ranch. Saw my first high power launches --- AWESOME!!! It was very cool to see that many rocket enthusiasts!

I had a lot of fun. I got to see a lot of launches, and there were a couple of vendors there with a lot more selection than I am used to in my semi-local hobby shop. There were lots of kits to check out, and lots of motors that I've only seen online. I got a few single-use motors to try in my Leviathan once I build it --- F26 and G40. Got some E20's to try in the Executioner (again, once I build it). Also picked up some kevlar and a swivel.

Went to my first club launch with LUNAR at Snow Ranch. Saw my first high power launches --- AWESOME!!! It was very cool to see that many rocket enthusiasts!
<snip>
got a few single-use motors to try in my Leviathan once I build it --- F26 and G40. Got some E20's to try in the Executioner (again, once I build it). Also picked up some kevlar and a swivel.

And so it begins... :lol:

I went to a small launch today with a local club here on the coast. Located on a Natl Guard camp, it afforded a reasonably large area for low and mid power rockets. Little breezy today but I got off 5 good flights on 3 E-9s, a F-27, and a G-40. Nice folks and a lot closer than the 3 hrs to Fresno

Cut out some Balsa fins to laminate with 6oz glass and make a 38mm fincan. We'll see how it goes.

Primed all of the Victoria Grade School rockets, my youngest son's Vagabond. and shot some chrome onto a Polaris I built with the Cub Scout Pack. (Sorry about the quality of the Polaris image, it is very shiny though... :grin:)

VGS12.jpgVagabond.jpgPolaris.jpg

Attended the Radical Rocketeers launch here in NJ. Cloudless skies meant lots of cool flights. I even managed to get my 10'+ long E super roc to fly to just shy of 1000 feet and survive. Also witnessed a successful Level 1 flight and administered a successful Level 2 written test. A fun day of rocketry capped off with a sunburn. :)

Jim Z

I sprayed some lpr projects I've been working on. But the best thing is my 10 yr old found me and said, "I want to build a kit. Can we go through your box?". Heck ya! He really wanted to do the Estes Intercepter E or Alway's Saturn... "Sorry bub, those are Dad's". He settled for an Estes Renegade (which I bought just for the assortment of nose cones). So I helped him modify the kit for reloads, and we built the motor mount.

I started painting the Curvilinear I've been working on. Next up on the list is the Astron Sprint XL kit I got.

Looks like I'm finally getting the urge back to work on rocket kits again.

I never really lost the rocket building urge completely. Just been busy with work and my RC boats.:wink:

Launched some test flights at my school so I can launch with my classes next week. Field isn't big so I stuck to a Fliskits Whatchamacallit on a 1/4A and a 1/2A and Estes Viking on a 1/2A. All three flights were perfect and my daughters had a great time.

Watched Leah fly her Patriot twice, and flew my Sewer Pipe once. On an I297SK it went to 1,820' and recovered safely even though the main came out a little early.

Leah recovered her Patriot by herself both times, which makes me a proud rocket father.

Rocketgeek--the "nose cone" is so many ABS pipe reducer adapters with short lengths of pipe holding them together, and a pipe cap on the ultimate (smallest) one. Except for the MMT and CRs, the entire thing is from a plumbing supply store.

Ari.

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

Well, started with cleaning up the 3" motormount to take the MAW/7600 case gracefully. Checked the already loaded I-200's for the airstarts, (they've been loaded with the closures loosed for about 2 years, hope they're OK), mounted the electronics in this, and also prepped a 3" diameter rocket, with a cluster of 3 AT H-165's. Both rockets will go at the next ROC launch next Saturday.

Phil L.

Attended a meeting of my Local NAR Section, which this month took place at the Museum of Flight.
Took my L2 written test and scored 100%

Now I guess I should get back to working on my L2 rocket and complete the job!

Thank you Dale Ch. for this photo of the sewer pipe on I297 today.

Ari.

IMG_6636sm.jpg

I had a lot of fun. I got to see a lot of launches, and there were a couple of vendors there with a lot more selection than I am used to in my semi-local hobby shop. There were lots of kits to check out, and lots of motors that I've only seen online. I got a few single-use motors to try in my Leviathan once I build it --- F26 and G40. Got some E20's to try in the Executioner (again, once I build it). Also picked up some kevlar and a swivel.

I was there at Snow Ranch as well. Have to tell you it wasn't as well attended as most gatherings due to the early morning rain.

At Bay Area Rocketry, I picked up two motor tube hard points for recovery, two BIG swivels, two packs of long Q2G2 igniters for dual deploy, an I200W reload for my Crayon, and a G138T reload for my Steppin' Razor. Money going up in smoke!

Due to spending too much time at the vendors' tents, I didn't get in on the crayon drag race. As it was there were five crayons going up at once and mine would have been the sixth. Maybe we should make the crayon drag race a regular thing? Ended up launching my crayon on an H165R and picked up some horrible rod whip but no harm done. I'm going to add some rail buttons and not use the launch lugs anymore.

Saw Robert Belknap and his family, and Ari and Leah. The high point of the day was getting a high five...well, a low five, from Leah. View attachment 124787

Back