What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Began working on a home made launch pad for my mean machine launch in a week. The last time I tried to launch it on estes porta pad, it was so top heavy it tipped over :facepalm:

Launched my Estes Prospector on my last B6-4.

Edit: added pic.

Attachments

• SDC15953.jpg
    SDC15953.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Built the last of these little buggers. Eight, at about fifteen minutes, each...

image-548882570.jpg

Finished sewing some nomex pads for Juan, then made a couple more for Sharon's Squat and my Rip-Roar. Another coat of primer on the Squat and it's close to being ready for color. Got a flame mask from Mark at Stickershock. This will be my first attempt at painting over a mask, can't be too hard, right?

Finally finished painting my K&S Flash 2 stager! Then went and replaced the MT3G timer that I had in the booster stage with a Gwiz LC Dlx, wow, that is a SNUG fit. Took a few hours to work how to get all the wiring and 2 batteries into the AV sled, one battery will be outside, in the interstage coupler, safe!! It's amazing how well the K&S AV sleds pack stuff into this airframe (38mm).

DSCF0230_resize.jpg

DSCF0231_resize.jpg

Built the last of these little buggers. Eight, at about fifteen minutes, each...

Ah! I'm familiar with that arrangement! I've a 1/144th Mercury Redstone paper model with the same stringer and skin design! :cool:

Ah! I'm familiar with that arrangement! I've a 1/144th Mercury Redstone paper model with the same stringer and skin design! :cool:

Hindsight being that glorious thing that it is, I figured out to use the double-glue method on the last one. :facepalm:

-Kevin

Hindsight being that glorious thing that it is, I figured out to use the double-glue method on the last one. :facepalm:

-Kevin

There was one luxury to the paper model, I didn't have to worry about it flying. I suspect that these would be far more painstaking than mine were. Good luck with the rest of the build! Look forward to seeing the end product!

Weather-wise, today would have been a perfect day to fly, but I'm under the weather at the moment. Instead I decided to finish a few long overdue projects:

005-14_zps55c46c1e.jpg

Estes Citation Patriot. 18mm engine, pretty much for use only on small fields. Decals are homemade inkjet, so there's no real gold around the eagle. Just a kind of goldish-tan.

006-16_zps35ab3197.jpg

Estes Astron Drifter. This has actually been finished forever, but I only decided on the decals yesterday. The wrap decal is one that I bought from Thrustline Aerospace years ago. The vintage Estes logo was printed off over at YORS and I've been looking for something to use it on. Being that this was an Astron-period clone, I found the minimalist look rather fitting.:cool:

010-7_zps273537ab.jpg

Estes Courier clone. The nose cone came with a lot of other cones and parts that I got from Ebay a couple of years ago. I wasn't too wild about how it came out initially, but the decals really add something to the finished product. I shouldn't have too much trouble spotting this one when it flies.:rolleyes:

In addition to these, I also got my FSI Hercules clone fixed and ready for camo paint, the Holverson Tangent ready for paint, the payload section of the Astron Farside X and the FSI Dart clone filled & finished, and brought the Estes Stinger (K-53 version) upstairs to decide on a paint scheme. So far I'm having little luck.:facepalm:

Got the altimeter bay for the WARPed Kraken finished, also got the RV cleaned and ready for its service, this is going to be my rocketmobile this year, tent camping in the cold desert with rain and snow... nah, too old for that now.

Had an awesome Saturday flying rockets with one of the local Jersey clubs, GSSS. Flew the Super Alpha I built yesterday on B's and C's. Flew the Blue Ninja on C11, D12 and then an E9. A nice Spring day for flying finally.

Also received packages from Apogee and Semroc. Started building an E Super Roc for our club's contest next weekend.

Easter eggs. Lead egg sinkers coated with epoxy clay, well hidden in the nose of my rocket. Timing unintentional but perhaps subliminal.

Looks like a pretty good vacuum on the fins. Did you do something cool to seal it or just bunch it up as best you could and rely on the volume from the vacuum pump to beat the leaks? I ask because my pump can't keep up with much more than a big pinhole, so I haven't tried doing anything that won't fit in a bag completely.

Sandy.

And one after the other, Bertha, Red Max, Mosquito, and Saturn V, etc, they all went straight up as needles and landed practically right back on the pad. After losing so many in the trees last year, it was a perfect start. I even caught most of them.

What a difference a day makes. My Mega Mosquito time delay seemed to take forever to deploy, and by that time it was screaming down like a rock and it was too much for the parachute which shredded. Luckily there was enough drag that it didn't completely explode on impact. The Red Max parachute did not even leave the tube because my recovery wadding was jammed too tight, but luckily the nose cone popped off and it landed damage-free. I then tested my Dr Zooch Saturn V (that had flown perfectly on a B) with a C engine, which made its flight entirely eratic before finally slamming into the ground and actually sticking like a lawn dart. Lastly, the Vector Force, that my daughter spray painted pink instead of orange, started going up straight and then got a "nudge" from the wind toward the one side of the field that had trees on it. And there it perched in a tall pine, about 50' up.

Picked up one of these for $30.00 shipped.
I kinda just happened upon the auction.
It had about 25 minutes left and there had been no bids.
I bid the min and won it.
This is one Ive always wanted to get but didnt want to pay the big dollar.
$30 shipped works for me.

Canadian Arrow.jpg

Lost my Estes Partizon on a G40 today in a wheat field, just need to get out there before it is harvested...musta not packed the chute right, no deployment...:(

Mixed a couple of batches of Klass Kote epoxy primer for the Great Easter Primering: BOMARC (bottom half), Renegade D+, Mars Snooper body tubes assembly, 3" Aerobee lower tunnels. Installed X-Plane 10 on the new Mac (OK not strictly rocket related, but pretty close). Hacked OpenRocket a bit to see how to put in complete custom parts databases.

Fiberglassed a tube.

TA

Attachments

• 2013-03-31 17.07.24.jpg
    2013-03-31 17.07.24.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 12
Built a new rocket with my kid to replace the Alpha we crashed on Friday. Leah is learning about safely handling tools. (Ignore the party hat--she'd been to a birthday party earlier today). Her favorite part of building a rocket though is spray-painting. She wants a rocket with all the colors of the rainbow!

Ari.

IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

Went to spray white on a few rockets, popped the cap off and started to spray...didn't seem quite right. Looked at the can and there was white paint all over the top of the can. It had appearantly sprayed after the top was put on. The paint was thinner than normal, I had a few runs. Good thing today's payday. I need 6 cans of varying colors to do the rockets I have. I have a yellow that's more of a yellow/green, kinda disgusting, really.

I also got out orders for parts and motors from Uncle Mike and Hobby Link, about $150 worth total. One of my favorite things after the first of the month is going to the mailbox. Sort of a mini-Christmas :smile:

Latest posts

Back