What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Realized I have several rockets ready for primer...and not enough primer. Then realized that I'm going to have to find some more rockets to build when those are complete. Did a lot of small finishing on several rockets that I had yet to complete after a 6 month hiatus.

I may end up with 2 builds in parallel, but I am using the kitchen to build and space in this apartment is getting rare with one kid and too many hobbies :)

Plus, I am forcing myself to go slow to enjoy this new activity. I have a tendency to burn through new hobbies at a fast rate and I want to give time for the model rocketry feeling to sink in. Building is SO relaxing and fun, designing is obsessive, and flying just downright addictive. Don't want to loose the fun factor :)

Watch videos of Japanese apartments, they are masters of space utilization. They can put 5 rooms of stuff into 2 ;) And who says I race through any build? The one that needs primer I started talking about a month ago and it was about a week ago I started getting parts out for the BT80 and BT70 rockets. The BT80 rocket has kinda taken over, it's at the fin stage now. The BT70 one can wait as I decide what to do with it, short fat ogive nosecones don't lend themselves to too many designs so I'll just keep looking at the cone on 18" of SEMROC tubing and wait for inspiration to strike :)

Finished the Blackbrant Vb

IMG_0557.jpg

I also organized my range box and my motor box for this week-end launch.

WOW! That is absolutely amazing. You must have very steady hands to build something so tiny.

Some days I think I'm all thumbs!! Seriously, though, it's a great challenge and a lot of fun!! I got the engine block glued in and the launch lugs on last night - photos over the weekend !!

Krusty

Finished the Open Rocket file on my Blackhawk 54 and did sims with the J430 and K160 I want to fly it on at Airfest. Updated the O.R. files on "Rapiditty", "Jughead" and "Blackstar". Did sims on motors for them too. Printed them all out and laminated them to include in my log book. Started assembling stuff to pack into the new trailer, we might start that project today, the temp. is down to 69* this morning, coolest it's been since May. With the Monsoons in full swing, our temps. are similar to Argonia, Kansas, even the humidity is close to the same. Good training for the launch in ONE WEEK!

52 minutes for ship an order WTF Gary is simple the fastest

gt_zpsff38d3a8.jpg

Decided to go to the DARS High Power Launch tomorrow. Made preparations for my first ever Dual Deployment.

Previously did ground testing of the ejection charges. But, tomorrow validates it all...

Had first meeting about joint payload project. The game is on! Our first payload will contain an accelerometer, gyroscope, barometer for an estimated 30 grams.

Did a full inspection of my Shape Shifter Jr. Other then finding a few burrs left from drilling the vent holes (which I sanded away), everything seems more then ready for the Level 1 flight! T-minus 7 days!:)

I received my Spherachute LT's.

They're amazingly compact: they have thinner, zero-porosity fabric than normal Spherachutes so the gores (and the seams especially) take up a lot less room, and they have fewer shroud lines (and fewer seams) and no bridle versus Fruity Chutes. The 96" one doesn't seem any larger than the 60" Fruity Iris Ultra used last year for Bare Necessities.

Tried to work on my Fliskits UFFO and found that there was something wrong, so I emailed Jim.

Launched rockets!

Flew my Big Bertha on a B6-4:
14824729260_75c5407da4_b.jpg

Flew My Alpha III twice both times on A8-3's:
14824658839_07d31be0a8_b.jpg

15011373415_8e5d3ec473_b.jpg

14824876357_3d8307777a_b.jpg

And last but not least I flew my Patriot on a B6-4:
15008310121_b08586ba5b_b.jpg

15011392845_e7673803a9_b.jpg

I brought other rockets, but it was a little breezy so I only flew the ones that stayed reasonably low.

I decided to try to launch a bunch of my gliders today at the baseball diamonds West of town. There seemed to be enough space, all was green, and I had an hour before sunset. Lighting wasn't the best, but I stood with the back to the sun, and launched the Emonds Deltie (pod-assist) for the first time, on a 1/2A3-2T. It went well. Then I did it on an A3-4T and boy did that Deltie soar high. I had an audience for the lazy circles all the way down. Then I found the streamer had been ripped off, the ejection wadding was found, and the Delite recovered at the same time. After a two minute walk around, I found the singed Pod booster, the business end peeled back and burned, but the launch lug and pod "hook" are intact. Deltie Pod Burned 002.jpgAny suggestions on how to repair it? I've laid it on a white paper napkin for contrast in the photo. I think I might try a plastic construction streamer next.Deltie Pod Burned 001.jpg To be clear, the nose cone did eject, and tied on with a strand of kevlar, it's fine...painted a combination of red, purple, orange and white for visibility...it may LOOK burned, but it's not.(It was an experiment in process.) It was the other end of the tube that received the Tiny motor that slid up too far (no stop ring) that peeled and burned.

Attachments

• Deltie Pod Burned 002.jpg
    Deltie Pod Burned 002.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Today I cut the fin slots in my night launch rocket tube. Now I can start on the mmt and LED stuffer tube.

Foamed daughters Mega Der Red Max clone fins . Next up some fiberglass and get the MMT started. Will try Fudds 1/2 inch kevlar tape for the bridal.

Also the Chris from Chris Rocket Supplies called to confirm my address ..shipping is imminent!

Kenny

1408843618472.jpg

1408843630950.jpg

1408843642335.jpg

Flew rockets (9 am - 5 pm at the field). Good day, hot day. Below are two of our flights, TLP Krypton on an E28 and Fav'rit 2 B (scratch) on an I357T. Unfortunately I kept screwing up the timing of my camera today and missed my Cherokee-I on an I285R...it was spectacular, but you will have to take my word for it.

Also helped out RAHagan with his Jr L1, and loaded up some of our fleet for a father and his three kids who were visiting and didn't have rockets. The kids got a tutorial on how to load and prep a rocket, and each got to push the button and recover a rocket.

Also, big thanks to Ted Macklin (tmacklin here) who again brought out his Baby Ruthinator and flew it with a candy bar payload for my son to chase down. He ran around a 1/4 mile to get that candy bar. Thanks again for braving the heat, Ted.

Krypton 10.jpg

Favrit 2B 7.jpg

Baby Ruthinator 9.jpg

Yeah I'm still here, I've just been really busy lately. Today I finished sanding the final primer coat on my scratch level 2 cert rocket, which I have been working on slowly since January.

IMAG1049.jpg

Told my mom the cost if the motor for my L2 cert next weekend (CTI K740). She got really mad I spent that much. Flew a couple small rockets at the CMASS lower power launch today. Also picked up the three motors I will launch next weekend with MMMSC.

Successfully flew my Madcow Torrent for the first time, and as a result achieved my Jr. Lv. 1 Certification!

Built some big a$$ fins...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1408846171.057550.jpg
    ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1408846171.057550.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 25
Told my mom the cost if the motor for my L2 cert next weekend (CTI K740). She got really mad I spent that much. Flew a couple small rockets at the CMASS lower power launch today. Also picked up the three motors I will launch next weekend with MMMSC.

Yeah I cant do one at every launch either...but it rocks - cStar for the win !

Kenny

LOL better not tell her how much it costs for a L3 motor!!

Krusty

Latest posts

Back