What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Figured out why the RDY lead on my eggfinder doesn't work... Solder bridge on two of the pads of the GPS module....
Oh well, I am figuring out if one of our neighbors has a solder wick and bulb that I can borrow... :)

You might not even need that. Try dragging your iron through the bridge between the pads. Often times this is enough to break the bridge. (assuming there is room between the pads to do so. I haven't built an egg timer so I'm not sure what the spacing looks like.)

I don't have any good shots of the GPS module, this is as close as I got when I put mine together:
006.jpg

It is the toughest surface mount component I have ever done. Definitely need a tiny soldering pencil to achieve good joints.

Like I said before, good luck! I hope you didn't fry the module.....

You don't want to use a too small tip ; the idea with small parts is to put some tin on the soldering tip and then you apply the tip to the part you want to solder , if the tip is too small it will not hold well the tin, I use a 1,2 mm screwdriver tip. The eggfinder come with a board with tin already apply to the board so it's very easy to solder. Get a solder station with temp regulated, it cost less than $ 100 on eBay.

You might not even need that. Try dragging your iron through the bridge between the pads. Often times this is enough to break the bridge. (assuming there is room between the pads to do so. I haven't built an egg timer so I'm not sure what the spacing looks like.)

+1 great advise it more than likely do it :)

I don't have any good shots of the GPS module, this is as close as I got when I put mine together:
006.jpg

It is the toughest surface mount component I have ever done. Definitely need a tiny soldering pencil to achieve good joints.

Like I said before, good luck! I hope you didn't fry the module.....
Wayne, what's with the kevlar in the picture? Maybe a picture from the other side of the bulkhead? Thanks.

Wayne, what's with the kevlar in the picture? Maybe a picture from the other side of the bulkhead? Thanks.

That's my non metallic anchor point. 1/2" flat braided kevlar "Y" harness wrapped around a hardwood dowel:
008.jpg

It's probably overkill, but what I had on hand. I documented this mod. in the "Eggfinder" thread here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...st-GPS-RF-Tracking-System&p=698560#post698560

To improve signal strength, I tried to keep anything made of metal away from the antenna. The antenna in the picture is a 5 DB "rubber duckie" antenna that I got off Ebay. Significantly improved the range on the ground when I removed all metal around the area and added the antenna.
This is a 5" filament wound N/C from my 5" Jart that weighs in at 2 lbs. 10 oz. so maybe not too much overkill. The rocket weighs 14 lbs. with a 75mm MMT.

I fantasized (and did a little computation) about future ultra-high-performance flights that may or may not happen next year.

IMG_20140425_153048 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Krusty stickered and future finished

all hail GORLAXIA IV

I am kinda worried that those fins are not attached enough so I used one of those 5 min epoxy tubes with the self mixing syringe extensions to reinforce the connection.

Soldered up my Rx eggfinder, still working on that #$%^& solder joint on my GPS module... :rant:

in preparation for tomorrows launch @Bong I: built two motors, prepped 3 rockets, packed CA and a soft blow hammer into the range box...:).
Rex

That's my non metallic anchor point. 1/2" flat braided kevlar "Y" harness wrapped around a hardwood dowel:
008.jpg

It's probably overkill, but what I had on hand. I documented this mod. in the "Eggfinder" thread here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...st-GPS-RF-Tracking-System&p=698560#post698560

To improve signal strength, I tried to keep anything made of metal away from the antenna. The antenna in the picture is a 5 DB "rubber duckie" antenna that I got off Ebay. Significantly improved the range on the ground when I removed all metal around the area and added the antenna.
This is a 5" filament wound N/C from my 5" Jart that weighs in at 2 lbs. 10 oz. so maybe not too much overkill. The rocket weighs 14 lbs. with a 75mm MMT.

Thought that might be what it was. Hadn't considered the metal being near the rubber duckie...excellent solution!

Thanks for the pix.

Built an I-245G to launch "Fav'rit 2 B" tomorrow. This will be my first "I" and first DD flight. F2B flew on an H242 for my L1 last month with the same RRC3 controlling apogee and firing DD ignitors but no charges as a test.

Will also be flying a 29mm MD rocket I call "Single Use" on an F42-8 (OR saya about 3200 ft), still goingup when the streamers pop. We'll see if I get it back. I have two 8x24" mylar streamers on it, so I should see it.

Lastly I preped my just Stickershocked Madcow 2.6" PAC-3 for launch tomorrow. It will be getting a G80. it is set up to accommodate a cable cutter, but I sealed my magnetic switch in F2B before I drilled the holes in my pAC-3's sled for it. Therefore, that will wait, and I'll be firing the PAC-3 dumb tomorrow.

Hopefully thewind stays manageable, and I get to fly all these.

image.jpg

drilled my darkstar jr 2 stage upgrade inner stage coupler switch band vent holes too big , wasn't thinking drilled 1/4" per book to big kit lol , will spend afternoon filling holes with rocketpoxy and re drilling 5/32"

The Honest John looks great. I need to get back to finishing mine up. I see that I'm going to have to make some bands for the airframe. They add a lot to the looks. Did Mark do the decals for you?

Yes, thanks for thrust motors. Mark did do the decals. As you suggested, I believe they are a bit oversized and with the raised rings, you actually have to cut one of them down. In hindsight, I'd probably not go down to a 3" equivalent, but maybe 3.25" or 3.5".

I slotted and cut the booster tubes to length. Test fitting the parts together and it is starting to look like something.

N-H Test Fit of Tubes.jpg

I managed to ruin a BT-80 tube. I was slotting it almost full length when I realized that I slotted the launch lug marking. :^(

Latest posts

Back