What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glued the fins on my Super Big Bertha, started work on my ASP 29mm D Region Tomahawk, and ordered a few Quantum Eggtimers. I decided to try out one of the builders that Cris has listed, and am eager to see how they do!

Went shopping, bought snacks/drinks for tomorrow. Decided I'd fly my tube fin rocket. Decided it needed a coat of paint. The paint is still very sticky after several hours sitting inside (warmer than garage). I don't care. I'm flying it.
Tomorrow is the Argonia Cup Challenge. Tripoli Oklahoma has been mentoring two teams this year, Univ. of Okla., and Southwest Okla. State. Univ. Good Luck! to both teams! I'm excited, probably won't sleep tonight.

Finished the New Way Letter Go. This was a prototype but soon to be released. You have a choice of 3-6 letters to use for fins.

Attachments

• New Way Letter Go.jpg
    New Way Letter Go.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Filleted the fins of my Big Burtha with Timber Mate (similar to CWF), mostly just to give it a go and see if I could get a really nice unibody look. This was on top of the structural PVA fillets. Went ok, though I'm pretty sure the filler will crack on the first firm landing.

I did my first finger trapping in emma kites 550lb Kevlar and made my first soft shackle. I used the overhand knot method. Surprised myself and it came out well.
Also 3d printed stands for 2 rockets.

Baby steps, but at least moving forward.

Got a few hours sleep (was not pounced upon by the cat while asleep , which helped). Got up, packed a few things, and shuffled off to Argonia. The day started out cold and cloudy. When we got there (~10:30), they had done one team launch, but then shut the range down because the cloud deck was too low. It finally cleared off enough, and the range was opened. Normally, I'd be running all over - taking pictures and visiting. Today was a lot more low-key.

The rules for this year are new. Instead of landing on a target, this year's competition was about carrying the most golf balls to the highest altitude, in a two stage rocket. This last part, staging a high power rocket, is not trivial; no CHAD staging.

The unofficial results:
#1 SWOSU
#2 Purdue
#3 OSU

There was an amazing amount of engineering excellence on display today! It was a privileged to work with the two Okla. college teams we advised.

crop.jpg

This was last weekend but I got dragged into the local sports store by my brother and saw this, is it an use as a BP substitute for rocketry?View attachment 636672
I've used it for salutes in a small BP cannon. I've heard of it being used for ejection charges. The name is based on it being 77.7% as powerful as BP. In salutes, it requires lots of tight wadding to produce a good bang. I'm sure that you would want no free space when it's used for ejection charges.
Jim

Recoved from our Friday thru Saturday "Birds of a Feather" two day launch. As always the night launch is my favorite part of any multiday event. PXL_20240323_013729725.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

Last edited:
@terryg Your night photography is amazing !
The sunset shot is mine. The others are by our amazing club photographer Steve Fraser.
Search:

sararocketry facebook

For pictures of the rest of this launch and other amazing photos of past launches! He sets up at the south end of our range every launch.

I've used it for salutes in a small BP cannon. I've heard of it being used for ejection charges. The name is based on it being 77.7% as powerful as BP. In salutes, it requires lots of tight wadding to produce a good bang. I'm sure that you would want no free space when it's used for ejection charges.
Jim
So I’m turning rockery into guns? :headspinning:

Went out with the TARC team. They did 8 launches, I did 2. They got two scored flights in, one good and one kinda lousy. It’ll all come down to the third flight. My flights were all good but I had it easy since I wasn’t trying to hit an altitude or time window.

Organised last week’s shipments and did a quick stocktake.

Might have to clear out a few things… The ‘Mal’s vintage kits’ tubs (5) are getting a bit out of hand.

Decided to actually build someone else’s kit for variety. Not something I do a lot of; this will be two in five years.

Pulled together some files for the Cricut, mostly rocket related. Can you say. “Checkerboard roll pattern”?

Back