What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not today but yesterday:

Applied the last of the wraps to my Estes Saturn V. The very top one came out a little wonky, but with some filling it will look fine unless you look up-close.

Strolled into a random Hobbytown I found in Monroe, NC and found a great selection of Estes, some AT motors/kits AND a lone LOC 3.9" nosecone and airframe... The owner and worker definitely weren't very versed in rocketry as they said they couldnt find anyone to sell the stuff to and that it doesn't fit any rocket kit they knew of. Heh heh. The worker kid even said someone told him you could only order these parts from a "real missile company"....whew boy.

But I explained to them that these were fairly common components and that I was currently working on a rocket that needed that *exact* nosecone (LOC Ultimate), he offered the airframe and cone for half off! Can't turn that down!

I also picked up some epoxy with them and put in a substantial AP order with Sirius rocketry... Getting ready for the Freedom launch in Orangeburg!

But I explained to them that these were fairly common components and that I was currently working on a rocket that needed that *exact* nosecone (LOC Ultimate), he offered the airframe and cone for half off! Can't turn that down!
I need to build a standaed size Ultimate for F15's :) Now I'm limited to 4 in the 4-29SS :)

Had another great launch with SEVRA today. I finally got around to flying my 2-year old Minie-Magg on a CTI J355 Red Lightning and my Extreme WildMan on a CTI L910 C-Star. Both flights went well. The Minie-Magg has G-10 fins and a 54mm motor mount. It is also dual deploy with the added payload section.

Minie-Magg CTI J355 Red Lightning.jpgExtreme WildMan CTI L910 C-Star.jpg

Last edited:
Had another great launch with SEVRA today. I finally got around to flying my 2-year old Minie-Magg on a CTI J355 Red Lightning and my Extreme WildMan on a CTO L910 C-Star. Both flights went well. The Minie-Magg has G-10 fins and a 54mm motor mount. It is also dual deploy with the added payload section.

View attachment 140436View attachment 140437

Those MiniMags really take to modifying. Even be made dual deploy without too much trouble or expense. On sale at Hobby Linc, too. Maybe next month...

Those MiniMags really take to modifying. Even be made dual deploy without too much trouble or expense. On sale at Hobby Linc, too. Maybe next month...

Buy the nose cone and build everything else from scratch. I have yet to see a Minie-Magg kit with usable fins. They always are warped because of the way they are packed in the bag next to the nose cone. I'm building a new version with G-10 fins, a FWFG airframe, and a 98mm motor mount ... maybe for Red Glare XVI. It should allow for a CTI M6400 or N1800. :surprised:

Last edited:
shot some primer on my Piranha finally, and started working on my Estes Phoenix. Hope to have Phoenix complete by the time Freedom Launch rolls around. Going to take my time so I can get it right. No engine hook, block, or lugs....buttons going on this thing.

Yes, the TRA mentoring program is a great idea. Now if I could only get my daughter to study for the test...

My son and I put wood filler on fins and started some sanding. BTW, the replacement tube (with fin slots) arrived today from Quest.

Under the TRA mentoring program.

Alex

Alex, Ya should have just said this ---> :p
Ya don't have to answer to nobody here! :)
Congrats dude. I just did my first two months ago, and K360 (barely a K)

Obligatory What I did today:

Added the SIG rubber actuators to my Rose-A-Rock blades
Finished the Quest HIGH-Q by sanding the fins, adding a tad of nose weight, and finishing the recovery harness.

Came back from my HPR vacation and burned 8,112 Ns in half a day.

K185.JPG

Assembled the paint stand I made out of PVC and painted the Sustainer for the Behemoth Bertha 75. It will get the decals mid week.

Behemoth Bertha 75 on Paint Stand.jpg

Cleaning up the workshop a bit and also tacking the fins on my 3" Super Neon 3XL...

Super_Neon_3XL-03.jpg

Dual deploy, 38mm Motor Mount.

Flew my first K motor. :grin:

Alex

with a Jr. Lev 1 ?

Under the TRA mentoring program.

Alex

Alex, Ya should have just said this ---> :p
Ya don't have to answer to nobody here! :)
Congrats dude. I just did my first two months ago, and K360 (barely a K)

I would also like to vouch for Alex skill and knowledge as a rocketeer. He's got a lot of guys beat twice his age when it comes to rocket smarts, an asset to our club. I'm glad TRA thinks so too.

TA

Oh I painted rockets today.

I would also like to vouch for Alex skill and knowledge as a rocketeer. He's got a lot of guys beat twice his age when it comes to rocket smarts, an asset to our club. I'm glad TRA thinks so too.

TA

Oh I painted rockets today.

I know Alex know what he is doing, I simply ask because I tough he pass is level jr. 2 certification, in Canada the CAR allow Jr of 16+ to pass their lev 3 ( TRA 2)

"CAR Junior HPR Certification ..................

Ages 14 to 16 - Junior member can certify CAR Level 1 and 2. ( H and I )

Ages 16 to 18 - Junior member can certify CAR Level 1, 2 and 3. ( H-L )

When the member turns 18, they must re-fly 1 rocket at the HIGHEST certification level achieved, selecting, building and installing the motor themselves, and if this flight is successful then they are given full certification at this level as a Senior CAR member."

Last edited:
I know Alex know what he is doing, I simply ask because I tough he pass is level jr. 2 certification, in Canada the CAR allow Jr of 16+ to pass their lev 3 ( TRA 2)

"CAR Junior HPR Certification ..................

Ages 14 to 16 - Junior member can certify CAR Level 1 and 2. ( H and I )

Ages 16 to 18 - Junior member can certify CAR Level 1, 2 and 3. ( H-L )

When the member turns 18, they must re-fly 1 rocket at the HIGHEST certification level achieved, selecting, building and installing the motor themselves, and if this flight is successful then they are given full certification at this level as a Senior CAR member."

Ah, man they are tough on you brothers to the north.

TA

pyro tested darkstar jr ,

2 coats of primer and 2 coats of black gloss so far .. night is young ;)

Worked on the Rose-A-Roc. Thread updated.
Put a guide coat of primer on the High-Q... not gonna get away with not filling the spirals... drats... oh well.

Back