What Became Of The Launch Pad TALOS???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread is blowing my mind. I will have to step out for some clean air. Great work guys.

I thought this thread was going to be about wishing for a new TLP kit and here I see it turns into a very pivotal discussion.

I made my Fin Templates for my Sustainer and Booster today, and started an OR Sim.
On the Sim, I'm just using an Estes PNC-80BB for now, and am simply omiting the Wings entirely, rather than try to figure out how to make Pivoting Vanes.
I'll also be glassing the rest of the Tubes for the Sustainer later tonight. Couplers have been cut to size to assemble the Passive Vane Section into the tubes, and the Sustainer Body sans Fins/Vanes should be complete by tomorrow.

Yeah what's up with that? Why'de you change your user Name?

When I joined this forum, every name I chose was either taken or rejected for some reason...

So I spelled my name backwards and it took...

But I like this name better...

Looks great...

Problem with a leaf blower for testing-- the air isn't "clean"... it's going to be SO turbulent that I don't know how much use it'll be outside of just seeing if the fins point into the breeze...

At least your truck mounted wind tunnel idea had the virtue of getting into "clean air" so long as it's far enough away from the body of the vehicle itself...

Later! OL JR :)

I wonder if a wind tunnel could be made using a leaf blower...

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/measuring-wind-in-a-vertical-wind-tunnel.302845/

There is a way to clean up the air, but that may a whole other project...

This vane is almost ready for testing...

IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

This thread is blowing my mind. I will have to step out for some clean air. Great work guys.

I thought this thread was going to be about wishing for a new TLP kit and here I see it turns into a very pivotal discussion.

Nice pun! Excellent! OL JR :)

Here's my Sustainer Section dry fitted with Nose Cone. It's raining today, so I don't think I'll be able to sand the excess glass, but there's no hurry. Still lots of details to work out.
4.85oz. so far.

Talos Sustainer 001.jpgTalos Sustainer 003.jpg

All you have to do is model the portion of the fin that is in front of the pivot section as the actual fin on the openrocket sim and leave off the rest....that's how I did mine

I made my Fin Templates for my Sustainer and Booster today, and started an OR Sim.
On the Sim, I'm just using an Estes PNC-80BB for now, and am simply omiting the Wings entirely, rather than try to figure out how to make Pivoting Vanes.

All you have to do is model the portion of the fin that is in front of the pivot section as the actual fin on the openrocket sim and leave off the rest....that's how I did mine

Thanks!!!:)

TALOSORFILE 001.jpg

TALOSORFILE 002.jpg

Last edited:
I think when it is all said and done, I am leaning toward this paint scheme:

View attachment 249591

I like that one, hadn't seen it before...

I don't like the green, red, yellow... (looks like a cheap toy)

I was torn between the all white version and the blue trainer with shark mouth...

Now I'm not sure...

Do you have any more pictures of different color schemes...

These things just oooze sex like a North American P-51 or a Chevrolet Corvette...

I have not done anything with my Talos for a couple of days because I have a lot of other stuff going on, so I've just been tinkerin' with small Rockets. The Talos requires undivided attention, and I just don't have it in me right now. I still have not even decided on a suitable material to make my fins and wings from.
Next Month I should be able to get some work done.

OK... here's what I got for you Dave...

The trick was to create an "Inner tube" and then move it ahead of the Body Tube using the "Position Relative to" tool. I tried using fins to fake it. OR peaks at 8 fins, and I had figured I'd need about 8K fins (at .001" wide each) to do the job. Adding the pitot tubes shouldn't be too hard. Launch lugs attached to a phantom tube, then positioned ahead of it (Fins might also work for this purpose (or tube fins for that matter)).

Talos Experiment.jpg

Talos Experiment.jpg

The outer taper as me beat though. I don't know how to insert a transition inside another like that.

Attachments

• Talos Experiment..ork
    1.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
OK... here's what I got for you Dave...

The trick was to create an "Inner tube" and then move it ahead of the Body Tube using the "Position Relative to" tool. I tried using fins to fake it. OR peaks at 8 fins, and I had figured I'd need about 8K fins (at .001" wide each) to do the job. Adding the pitot tubes shouldn't be too hard. Launch lugs attached to a phantom tube, then positioned ahead of it (Fins might also work for this purpose (or tube fins for that matter)).

View attachment 250625

View attachment 250630

The outer taper as me beat though. I don't know how to insert a transition inside another like that.

Thanks for having a go at it K'. I was thinking that you would be able to just chop up the V2 Tail Cone, which is what I made the Nose Cone out of.
I'll be finishing up the Nose Cone sometime this month.

Thanks for having a go at it K'. I was thinking that you would be able to just chop up the V2 Tail Cone, which is what I made the Nose Cone out of.
I'll be finishing up the Nose Cone sometime this month.

Not a problem TR,

Those were just experiments. Typically I need to be either in the presence of the original item, or as in the case of the Cineroc nosecone (when I did it) have a detailed dimensional drawing. Since I don't have either for the Talos, I just threw something together as a test of concept.

Good Luck on the Project!
Jim

Hey Top,

The preliminary test of the first vane was positive...

I have a few more things to consider and test before moving forward with this design...

Here are some more pictures of my Talos...

Building has slowed to a snails pace...

I have the sustainer section body tubes cut and I cut the nosecone as well...

May try to make the rear sustainer fins over the weekend...

Need to place an order with BMS for the booster body tube and some other items...

IMG_1770.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1776.jpg

The going is slow here too.
Glad to see you starting your Cone!
I cut my section of 3" Coupler from BMS last night. It is not going to work. On the Real Deal, the Booster is only 2" wider than the Sustainer.
Going from 2.6 to even a Coupler section of 3" just looks silly when you compare it to the Pictures of the actual Missile.

TALOSBOOSTER 001.jpgTALOSBOOSTER 003.jpg

When I stick a Rule up against the computer screen on this Pic', which happens to be my "Desktop Backround", you can't actually notice the difference in Diameters.

js640_andrey_talos_02.jpg

Thusly, I believe I may simply take a BT-80 Tube, and slice it longetudinally, then slide it ontop of another BT-80, then fill the Gap and Glass the whole mess for added Diameter.
This will serve a dual purpose. Aside from increasing the Diameter by a closer approximate percentage, it will also allow me to use a BT-80 Coupler to attach the Booster to the Sustainer, rather than having to use the Centering Rings that should be here tomorrow from BMS. :facepalm:

I just went and revised my Openrocket Sim, and even with "Automatic" and everything else I tried, it wants to cry in its Koolaid with a warning about "Discontinuity in Body Diameter".
I used a Coupler to join the sections and whatnot, so it is not as if it thinks the two are not securely joined.
I realize after doing a Search here and reading about "Discontinuity in Body Diameter", that I'll just have to live with it always having a "Warning", and simply disregard said warning, but it is quite irksome.:mad:
Can't wait til' I can afford RockSim.

;
Thusly, I believe I may simply take a BT-80 Tube, and slice it longetudinally, then slide it ontop of another BT-80, then fill the Gap and Glass the whole mess for added Diameter.
This will serve a dual purpose. Aside from increasing the Diameter by a closer approximate percentage, it will also allow me to use a BT-80 Coupler to attach the Booster to the Sustainer, rather than having to use the Centering Rings that should be here tomorrow from BMS. :facepalm:

I think you're right and that is a sweet idea for the booster...

You just saved me a bunch of money on my BMS order...;)

Last edited:
Is mixing BT-80 with LOC 2.56" tube (thicker) or LOC 64mm motor mount (thicker yet) enough of a lip? All are same ID.

Is mixing BT-80 with LOC 2.56" tube (thicker) or LOC 64mm motor mount (thicker yet) enough of a lip? All are same ID.

Kevin, that's a good Idea.
I went and took some pics' of the Sustainer coupled to my LOC Viper III, and then of it coupled to some of the Heavy Wall BT-80 that you gave me recently, which I assume was BMS, because I'm using it for a BT-80 AIM-120 AMRAAM, and needed just a couple more inches, so I ordered some BMS Heavy Wall Tube and it was perfect.
I think that will work, but perhaps with a layer of 110# Cardstock or that and the Glass.

Pic for Cave 002.jpgPic for Cave 003.jpg

I don't have any 64mm LOC to compare. I wish I could find a close up Photo of the section of the Missile where it is coupled.
I'm going to settle for "Close enough" in the end, as this will be my first Talos, not my only Talos.:)
If the Design flies well, then when I get L1 Certified there will be no reason not to do it in a much larger version.:wink:

Back