West Systems Fillers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidtmp

Reaction score
I have some 206 hardener, and the 105 resin. What do you guys use for a filler on West Systems? It looks like the 406 Colloidal Silica is probably what I would use. Looked at the 405, but that looks like more for wood to wood. The 403 Micro Fibers could be a possibility. I want to thicken it up to use for fillets on either wood/paper joints, but also my Piranha which is all fiberglass. What do you guys use(that has used West Systems).

Last edited:
I've used 406, which is great for structural fillets. Also 407 for fairings and fillets that I know I'll be doing a lot of sanding on. I tried 404, but it's pretty heavy so I use it mainly to bond hardware, and that's a pretty small proportion of what I do (in rocketry, at least.)

406 is the best all round filler, IMO.

Cool, thanks guys! That's the direction I was leaning in too.

406 is all I use also. It add strength and limited effect on sandibility.

I have some 406 hardener, and the 105 resin. What do you guys use for a filler on West Systems? It looks like the 406 Colloidal Silica is probably what I would use. Looked at the 405, but that looks like more for wood to wood. The 403 Micro Fibers could be a possibility. I want to thicken it up to use for fillets on either wood/paper joints, but also my Piranha which is all fiberglass. What do you guys use(that has used West Systems).

Should that be 206 hardener?

If you have not already done so, visit the west systems website for additional technical information.

406 is a good general purpose filler. Make your fillets neat because it will not sand easily.

Should that be 206 hardener?

Um, yeah...fixed the original......11pm isn't a good time to post, especially after looking at West Systems web site with all the numbers. :)
And I'm planning on trying out CJ's method with the pvc pipe to shape. We'll see how that goes.

I have some 206 hardener, and the 105 resin. What do you guys use for a filler on West Systems? It looks like the 406 Colloidal Silica is probably what I would use. Looked at the 405, but that looks like more for wood to wood. The 403 Micro Fibers could be a possibility. I want to thicken it up to use for fillets on either wood/paper joints, but also my Piranha which is all fiberglass. What do you guys use(that has used West Systems).

When I make fillets, I usually use a heaping spoonful of both 404 High Density and 406 Colloidal Silica for each squirt of 105/206 epoxy/hardener. Mix well and apply. I used to use the 406 Silica by itself, but I found that adding 404 High Density Filler to the mix made the blend smoother and creamier and easier to shape with the back of a spoon while still retaining the "no run, no drip" properties that the Silica gives it. Also, when I pull up the tape after applying the fillets, the edges seem to "lay down" better for a smoother finish and less finish work and sanding later.

I use the 406 to thicken US Composites laminating resin to make gel coats.

For fillets, I put masking tape on either side to mark the limits of the fillet. I use a very liquid resin and let it flow up to the tape. Once it has set up enough that it won't flow much any longer, I pull the tape off. The fillets turn out very smooth and require no shaping and almost no sanding and there is no resin on the BT or fins where it doesn't belong.

Back