• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Welding Nylon Strap

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought it would be a good idea to weld this strap with a soldering iron. I tested it by securing the CR atop a heavy mailing tube. I tied a 12 lb dead blow hammer to the strap and dropped it about 5'. I did this half a dozen times. I also hammered with the hammer against the connection. The strap held and showed no signs of failing. I've had a lot of negative feedback on FB rocket groups about this method. I guess the question is does the hammer drop equate to actual ejection of the Apogee Zephyr nosecone. And what is an RSO gonna think about it. Obviously, there are tried and true methods for this attachment, but I had a thought. Dang things that pop into yer head from nowhere.

Attachments

• IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    608.7 KB · Views: 0
The Apogee Zephyr Nose Cone, per rocksim from Apogee, weighs .5 lb.
A decent range for safety is 50G to 100G on the shock cord (above about 100g, is extreme and you would have other damage).
Therefore a reasonable force on the shock cord would be (.5 * 50G) = 25 lbf, to a max (.5*100G)=50lbf

Your drop of 12lb from 5 feet results in a velocity of about 5.5m/s and results in a force of about 66lbf. (Impact duration of .1)

I think the problem you have with an RSO, or even from a TLAR perspective is the method. It is not repeatable, nor reliable. It is also unclear what the repeated forces will do to the "melt bond" (fatigue failure), nor is it clear what the melt bond has done to the strength of the shock cord.

You'll get a material change through heating that's unpredictable joint to joint. Temperature, pressure applied and time applied for. Also Nylon absorbs a lot of moisture and unless you control the humidity, the moisture will affect that weld. You could test it, and the next time it could break. There's no easy way to inspect the joint to determine if it will hold up this time.
With a sewn joint, you know the thread properties, can visually inspect the thread joint and have good confidence in the result.
Even with a knot, the properties of the strength reduction/ or not( pun ) are known (within a range)(usually). Most of the time.

Last edited:
Everywhere you've heated the nylon, you've created a weak point. Repeated drops against it are just stressing those points, as well as doing who knows what to your "welds".

Until this is done multiple times and tested to the point of failure, you don't know what the strength of this is, or how long it will last.

A good climbing knot, on the other hand, is well quantified and you know what you're getting.

I wouldn't do this. It's too unpredictable. A lot of the goal of recovery is to improve predictability.

-Kevin

Back