Ways Of the Wood Filler

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cody Webster

Reaction score
How are you using your wood filler? I have been thinning it down with some water and adding wood glue, if I use too much wood glue its quite the pain to sand. Whats the common consensus with this stuff? Mix with only water? Add glue? How do you use wood filler?

Just add a little water at a time until it's about the consistency of peanut butter. For fillets, get a make a ball on your finger then run from the top to bottom of fin smoothing out the stuff as you go. Put a little water on your finger and repeat until it's perfectly smooth then sand. For wood grain in fins, I like to first put a little on my finger and smear it on the deep spots, then put some on the edge of a Spackle spreader (any flat stiff and thin object will do) and run down the entire fin. Start sanding with 200 up to 400, and you're good to go. Is there anything specific you want to know?

Last edited:
How are you using your wood filler? I have been thinning it down with some water and adding wood glue, if I use too much wood glue its quite the pain to sand. Whats the common consensus with this stuff? Mix with only water? Add glue? How do you use wood filler?

Depends on which brand you are using, if its Elmers Carpenters Wood Filler then nothing more than water is needed, and it sands easily. Other brands may use chemicals to sand and are a #$tch to sand, or just a pain to sand like Elmers Carpenters Wood Filler Max (yuck).

I am using Elmers Carpenters wood Filler. I will try it without the glue, I just didnt know if it would cause any problems using it straight.

I am using Elmers Carpenters wood Filler. I will try it without the glue, I just didnt know if it would cause any problems using it straight.

Elmers glue tends to be tough to sand, as it gets gummy from the friction of sanding.

Wood glue sands ok. However, I never heard of mixing it with CWF, not sure what benefit that brings.

Anyway, I'm switching to papering whenever possible. I never really got *great* results with CWF without going through multiple coat and sand cycles, which is tedious.

I'll still use CWF for filling my spirals, though.

Wood glue sands ok. However, I never heard of mixing it with CWF, not sure what benefit that brings.

Anyway, I'm switching to papering whenever possible. I never really got *great* results with CWF without going through multiple coat and sand cycles, which is tedious.

I'll still use CWF for filling my spirals, though.
I read a post some time ago, and this guy was using some wood glue in his cwf. It binds everything together a little better, and allows the cwf to be sanded thinner without sanding thru it. I usually never need additional coats of cwf using this method. If you get too much glue in the mix its difficult to sand, not because it gums up but tho, just because its more binded. Im actually surprised noones heard of mixing the wood glue in with the cwf.

I read a post some time ago, and this guy was using some wood glue in his cwf. It binds everything together a little better, and allows the cwf to be sanded thinner without sanding thru it. I usually never need additional coats of cwf using this method. If you get too much glue in the mix its difficult to sand, not because it gums up but tho, just because its more binded. Im actually surprised noones heard of mixing the wood glue in with the cwf.

Its a plausible reason for using glue to thin the CWF, not that I have ever had difficulty with CWF.

Ill give it a shot with no glue since thats seams to be the standard practice. I do like it thinned down a bit with water, not to the point that its watary, but to a pancake batter consistancy and apply it with a paint brush.

I never just fill spirals, I coat the whole body tube and sand it down. I like a glassy smooth finish. I spend a lot of time on body work, I believe it shows in the final product. I cringe everytime I see globby un-even fillets or shoddy body work, not that theres anything wrong with it but Im an ocd airbrusher, painter, and body work guy.

Back