Warren Zevon, Hall of Fame?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skaffgeorge2

Reaction score
Anyone here voting for Warren to get selected for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? I for one will vote all day, every day.One of the finest songwriters ever, he ranks right up there with all the greats.This man's music has been the soundtrack for my life from the very beginning.I really don't know where I would be without him.If you ask me if he doesn't get in then the Hall has no credibility left whatsoever.

The Hall, for all it's more absurd inclusions and exclusions, hasn't had ever had much credibility.
That's certainly been true up to this point, what with George Michael and Cyndy Lauper being ahead of him, as well as some of the other more obscure and absurd inductions that I 've seen in the past. But I believe that if anyone ever did deserve to get into the Hall it has to be Warren.And I sure I'm not alone in that.

Anyone here voting for Warren to get selected for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? I for one will vote all day, every day.One of the finest songwriters ever, he ranks right up there with all the greats.This man's music has been the soundtrack for my life from the very beginning.I really don't know where I would be without him.If you ask me if he doesn't get in then the Hall has no credibility left whatsoever.

"Werewolves of London" and "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner", just to name a few good songs by Zevon.

"Werewolves of London" and "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner", just to name a few good songs by Zevon.
My favorite is Desperados Under the Eaves,which Warren wrote about his battle with alcoholism.Anyone who has ever struggled with it can sympathize with the haunting imagery of the lyrics in this song.

Definitely a classic.
I may be showing my age here but the first time I heard Warren was at a Black Sabbath show in Philadelphia in August of 75.Lawyers,Guns and Money was playing over the PA when we were coming in, and it immediately got stuck in my craw.I set out to find as much as I could about him.And that started a love affair with his music that has endured right up till the present day.

The first album I heard was his self-titled one - 1976. I think I really fell under his spell then. It's *amazing* to see the people backing him up on this album. I think his mainstream popularity took off with "Werewolves" (Excitable Boy - 1978). There were a lot of great tracks besides this on the album. Hated to hear of his death. He certainly deserves Hall of Fame recognition.

The first album I heard was his self-titled one - 1976. I think I really fell under his spell then. It's *amazing* to see the people backing him up on this album. I think his mainstream popularity took off with "Werewolves" (Excitable Boy - 1978). There were a lot of great tracks besides this on the album. Hated to hear of his death. He certainly deserves Hall of Fame recognition.
He really does, no doubt.His was the kind of talent that only comes around once in a lifetime.Always loved his logo, a skull smoking a cigarette.One of the cruel ironies of his passing was that even though he was a heavy smoker, the cancer that took him isn't related to smoking.It does make one think about things a bit more than usual.

Excitable boy they all say... And that one about the hockey player, that's good too. Most of his songs are stellar. Definitely HOF guy IMHO.
Oh yeah. Hit Somebody(The Hockey Song), his sense of humor came through like gangbusters on this one.There are so many others, such as Mohammed's Radio, Accidentally Like a Martyr,and my personal favorite, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Back