Visiting Germany for 3 weeks - Any tips?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mayo and fries always are outstanding w/schnitzel and I second the note of hitting the small Gasthof's.

Tickets booked for July (my plans changed) - can't wait. Decided I'd hitch a train to Zermatt Switzerland for a nice summer day on the slopes. I haven't gone skiing in a while now so this would be a great opportunity to sharpen my skills and absorb some of the beautiful scenery along the Matterhorn.

Last edited:
I haven't gone anywhere in a while so I've decided to visit Germany for my summer vacation to visit some of my family in Hamburg along with the chance to see the beautiful alps. The cities I am planning to see are of course Hamburg, then a short train ride to Berlin and possibly (if my wallet goes deep enough) Munich

Has anyone been to these places and what places do you recommend seeing?

Thanks!

In Hamburg-https://www.miniatur-wunderland.com

Plan on most of a day.

Berlin- there is so much history to see: check point Charlie, Berlin Wall, also the zoo is one of the worlds best.

If you make it to Munich, go to Marien Platz. You can see the famous glockenspiel there. Dachau is not far from Munich as well. Also visit the haufbrauhouse(order ein dunkle Beir) and if you go on a Friday night, go early, they fill up quickly.

Plenty to do in Berlin...worked there for about a half a year....

More museums per capita since they needed two of everything.
The Stasimuseum is not to be missed - but brush up on your German.
You can see a V-1 in the Museum of Technology.

Of course Brandenberg Gate....a short day trip to Potsdam and the nightlife at Potsdamer Platz

Berlin probably has museums about anything you can think of, and a few things you wouldn't think of. Among the latter are a computer games museum and a currywurst museum.

If you're going to the Museum of Technology, be prepared to spend the whole day they. Ditto if you're going to Potsdam - I spent a whole day wandering around Sanssouci park seeing the various palaces and other buildings there.

As for Hamburg, I believe there is a U-boat on display.

I don't know the cities you listed so consider this generic German info. I worked for a German company based near Frankfurt for almost thirty years and got to go over there several times a year. So...

1- Drink the wine!! The Germans make AMAZING Rieslings and Gruner Veltiners and... well just a ton of them. Some of the finest white wines in the world. And it always seemed to me they kept the best of each vintage domestic and did not export it. The wine there is incredible and affordable. Rieslings, especially, are available in a full range of sweetness from very dry (Kabinett) to aperitif dessert wines (Icewein), so sort out what you might want and give it a go.

2- Eat the food!! My long standing joke is all German food is "well done pork in a thick brown sauce" which is often strictly true but MAN can they do good things with this basic idea. My all time favorite German meal is "schweinshaxe" which is a roasted pork shank with the usual sides (sauerkraut or schnitzel). It. Is. To die for. Here's a droolworthy photo

Finished-Schweinshaxe.jpg

3- Have some beer!! It is true about that German beer purity law - you can drink a ton of it and not wake up with a hangover the next day. I'm not much of a beer drinker but this stuff is the best.

I hope you have a great time!

Latest posts

Back