The Last World War II U-Boat Commander Has Died

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
The Last World War II U-Boat Commander Has Died at 105

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/06/24/last-world-war-ii-u-boat-commander-has-died-105.html

Four months after the Pearl Harbor attacks, Kapitanleutnant Reinhard Hardegen decided that Americans should see for themselves what war with Adolf Hitler's Germany was going to look like.

He began with Florida sunbathers. On April 11, 1942, Hardegen's submarine, U-123, torpedoed the tanker SS Gulfamerica off Jacksonville. He maneuvered U-123 around the flaming wreck and surfaced between the SS Gulfamerica and the beach. He sank it with U-123's deck gun.

Hardegen later wrote in his log: "All the vacationers had seen an impressive special performance at [President Franklin D.] Roosevelt's expense. A burning tanker, artillery fire, the silhouette of a U-boat -- how often had that been seen in America?"

Hardegen was one of the few "Unterseeboot" commanders to survive the war. Most did not, as the U.S. turned to the convoy system and sonar to devastate the "wolfpacks" and keep open the supply lines to Britain.

He claimed he was never a Nazi.

"I did my duty for my country, not for Hitler," he reportedly said.

He was believed to be the last surviving U-boat commander when he died on June 9 at age 105.
Christian Weber, president of the state parliament in Bremen, Hardegen's hometown, confirmed the death to local media, but did not provide the circumstances.

Hardegen's bravado off the Jacksonville coast nearly cost him his boat and his life, according to the bestseller "Operation Drumbeat: The Dramatic True Story of Germany's First U-Boat Attacks Along the American Coast in World War II," by historian Michael Gannon.

The roads to the beach became jammed with people eager to see the cruel spectacle. Nineteen crew members of the SS Gulfamerica had been killed, and beachgoers scrambled into rowboats to rescue survivors.

Hardegen lingered too long and was forced to crash dive to the bottom at a depth of only 66 feet to avoid approaching U.S. patrol aircraft.

The destroyer Dahlgren dropped a pattern of six depth charges, heavily damaging U-123. Hardegen ordered the crew into escape gear and prepared to abandon his boat, but he froze in fear as he was about to open the conning tower hatch.

The Dahlgren did not keep up the attack. U-123 had survived. Hardegen later told Gannon, "only because I was too scared was I not captured."

Upon his return to Germany, Hardegen was awarded oak leaves to his Knight's Cross and, along with Erich Topp, another of Germany's "aces of the deep" U-boat commanders, had dinner with Hitler. Hardegen reportedly claimed he told Hitler that he was neglecting the submarine service and focusing too much attention on the Eastern Front.

Hitler was infuriated and ordered Gen. Alfred Jodl, chief of the operations staff, to issue Hardegen a reprimand.

"The Führer has a right to hear the truth, and I have a duty to speak it," Hardegen responded, according to accounts.

Later, as a korvettenkapitan, Hardegen was in charge of training units. Near the end of the war, he was made a battalion commander of a ground unit.

When the war ended, he was jailed by the British when he was mistaken for an SS officer with the same last name. He returned to Germany, took up golf, and became a successful businessman for an oil company. Ironically, he had dealings with Texaco, whose ships he sank in World War II.

Hardegen came to the U.S. following the publication of "Operation Drumbeat."

He told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that, "now I sink putts, not ships."

Hardegen and U-123 were credited with sinking 22 ships, a total of more than 115,000 gross register tons, in two war patrols off the East Coast as part of Operation Drumbeat.The operation was the plan of Admiral Karl Dönitz, commander of the Germany's submarine service, to disrupt allied shipping and demoralize the American homefront.

On his first war patrol in January 1942, Hardegen surfaced at night in U-123 in the mouth of New York Harbor. The U.S. had yet to begin ordering blackouts along the coast.

He and his crew could see the lights of the Wonder Wheel, the big ferris wheel at Coney Island. They could see the Manhattan skyline aglow. The sights were familiar to Hardegen. As a cadet in 1933, he had visited the city and went to the top of the Empire State building.

The U-123 could not find any targets in the harbor but later attacked shipping off Long Island.
"I cannot describe the feeling in words," Hardegen later wrote in a memoir of his venture into New York harbor, "but it was unbelievably beautiful and great."

"We were the first to be here," he wrote, "and for the first time in this war a German soldier looked out upon the coast of the U.S.A."

Hmm.
One time it occurred to me that at the point when WW2 ended 100 years ago, I'll be 82.

I honor the man who from accounts seemed like a good person, but also grieve for the families of the people he killed. In war we are made to do horrible things. May he rest in peace.

Last year I visited the German Naval Memorial in Laboe Germany. It was quite sobering to see all of the ships (lives) lost. U-995 is there and was able to walk through it. Also made the trip to Bremerhaven to see U-2540 which was a late war U-boat. It was very interesting to see the difference that a few years made in the size and design of the U-boats. It is sad to see these soldiers pass, it does not matter the side they fought on, it is a generation that will be missed.

...It is sad to see these soldiers pass, it does not matter the side they fought on, it is a generation that will be missed.

I think it does matter which side they fought on. I believe an honorable man can not fight for a dishonorable cause. The Nuremberg trials made it very clear that following orders is not a sufficient defense for immoral actions. Will we one day honor the suicide bombers of Isis and the Taliban because they died doing what they believed was the right thing?

I am not trying to pick on you, but make people think about the people they say are deserving of honor.

True, but it is important to understand that not everyone is in the “know” about the evils of the government. A country boy from Bavaria may not have even known they were gasing folks in concentration camps. People fight for their country. Being a Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Marine is an honorable calling. Mistakes are made and they often do not have you clear hindsight to second guess history.

I think it does matter which side they fought on. I believe an honorable man can not fight for a dishonorable cause. The Nuremberg trials made it very clear that following orders is not a sufficient defense for immoral actions. Will we one day honor the suicide bombers of Isis and the Taliban because they died doing what they believed was the right thing?

I am not trying to pick on you, but make people think about the people they say are deserving of honor.

Define dishonourable cause.

I would consider many American military adventures in the last half century to be deeply dishonourable. So would a lot of the soldiers who fought in them. Your opinion may be different.

Remember that the young men who fight these wars are often there because it’s one of the only ways to improve their economic circumstances - or in the case of Vietnam (and also 1940 Germany) - because they were involuntarily drafted.

When your choice is to fight, or face a court - or a firing squad, what would you do?

Had family on both side, USN and Wehrmacht. One fought the Japanese in the pacific, USS Stingray SS-186 was a machinist and forward torpedoman. The other on the eastern front against the Russians, as Sanitäter (medic). They did not talk much but when they did the histories given were sometimes funny, sometimes serious, and on occasion dark. They both served their countries, performed their duties and survived. When they died, pieces of history died with them... Reinhard Hardegen the U-boot commander was 105 when he died, and with it another chapter of history closes.

The intent of my post was to make people think about who they are honoring. I think too many people want to show respect to an old adversary as "that war" (insert the conflict of your choice) was a long time ago and therefore we should forgive and forget. Forgive, yes. Forget, never.

I will not personally honor this U-boat captain as he fought for Adolf Hitler. I will not denigrate him either as I don't know what he personally knew about the horrors committed by that regime. I am sure many of the soldiers who fought for Germany thought their cause was righteous and even honorable, but we now know it wasn't.

For the record, I am a six year veteran of the U.S. Air Force. So is my wife. We were in when there were no wars being fought. The list of my relatives and in-laws who are veterans is extensive; my only brother, my father, her father, both her brothers, her only sister, at least two of my three uncles, etc. And as previously discussed, I worked for a Nazi when I was in the Air Force.

Back