Viking 1 and QJets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skaffgeorge2

Reaction score
Once I get it built I'm thinking of flying my FSI Viking 1 on QJet C18's or D16's, will this particular model withstand the thrust of these motors?The 18 mm conversion mount I have uses paper centering rings so I'm wondering if it will hold up. It was built to handle the high thrust and acceleration of FSI D18 motors so I think it will probably hold up.It would be really cool if I could find some D18's for it but that's proven out to be a fruitless search.Thoughts on this anyone?

I think you’ll be OK. People flying composites in rockets designed for black powder is a common occurrence. I’ve flown AeroTech F52C in my Star Orbiter designed for E16s and F15s, with no more ill effects than either of these motors.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it until you start approaching 80N average thrust, which is the limit for model rockets. This works out to Type F motors and larger.

You got it.I'm actually more worried about losing sight of the thing because it's not a big heavy rocket.Plan on doin it in florescent orange and black to help with visibility.What kind of altitude do you think I can expect with this?

You got it.I'm actually more worried about losing sight of the thing because it's not a big heavy rocket.Plan on doin it in florescent orange and black to help with visibility.What kind of altitude do you think I can expect with this?
If you are in fact worried about losing it, there are A and B Q-Jets. Estes motors will also work.

Start small and up the impulse if you’re feeling confident. The rule of thumb I use is to double the recovery distance, since you’re roughly doubling your total impulse by advancing a motor class.

You can also adjust your recovery system. More than likely you’ll only need a streamer. You can also “reef” a parachute, tape the lines together so it doesn’t quite open all the way.

With tube fins though, you’ll have a bit of drag to hold the thing down. What is the body tube diameter of that kit? Approximate empty weight?

I think you’ll be OK. People flying composites in rockets designed for black powder is a common occurrence. I’ve flown AeroTech F52C in my Star Orbiter designed for E16s and F15s, with no more ill effects than either of these motors.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it until you start approaching 80N average thrust, which is the limit for model rockets. This works out to Type F motors and larger.
I think it'll be fine.I just hope I get it back cause it's such a cool design.It came sealed in the original package so I think it was a first line original.It had the original Colorado address printed on it but that was crossed out and the Missouri address was printed below it.Also have the Viking 2 so I'm gonna have a couple of nice ones to take up to Potter, NY in September.Thinking about getting a Star Orbiter for my first mid power kit.

If you are in fact worried about losing it, there are A and B Q-Jets. Estes motors will also work.

Start small and up the impulse if you’re feeling confident. The rule of thumb I use is to double the recovery distance, since you’re roughly doubling your total impulse by advancing a motor class.

You can also adjust your recovery system. More than likely you’ll only need a streamer. You can also “reef” a parachute, tape the lines together so it doesn’t quite open all the way.

With tube fins though, you’ll have a bit of drag to hold the thing down. What is the body tube diameter of that kit? Approximate empty weight?
The tube diameter is 21mm, it used the FSI 21MM motors.I'm not at home right now so I can't check the empty weight.I was hoping to find the closest motor to the 21mm D18, so I'm thinking the D16 is really gonna get this thing up there, mainly because it's fairly light, even with the extra drag from the tube stabilizers.

I think it'll be fine.I just hope I get it back cause it's such a cool design.It came sealed in the original package so I think it was a first line original.It had the original Colorado address printed on it but that was crossed out and the Missouri address was printed below it.Also have the Viking 2 so I'm gonna have a couple of nice ones to take up to Potter, NY in September.Thinking about getting a Star Orbiter for my first mid power kit.
The Star Orbiter is nice. It assembles like a regular Estes kit and performs like one too, it’s just long enough to attract some attention at the range.

If I were to venture into MPR for the first time again though, I might look at this. Big body, lightweight tube, clear payload bay. C-F motors, but under 800 ft on a CTI E22.

IMG_9312.jpeg

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket-Kits/Skill-Level-2-Model-Rocket-Kits/Rising-Star
A bit expensive, but versatile.

The tube diameter is 21mm, it used the FSI 21MM motors.I'm not at home right now so I can't check the empty weight.I was hoping to find the closest motor to the 21mm D18, so I'm thinking the D16 is really gonna get this thing up there, mainly because it's fairly light, even with the extra drag from the tube stabilizers.

In this case you’re probably looking at somewhere between something like an Estes Wizard (18mm tube) and an Estes Generic E2X (24mm tube). Maybe 1700 on that D?

Why not run a simulation on ThrustCurve when you get the dry weight? Set drag to a little above average for the tube fins.

https://www.thrustcurve.org/motors/guide.html

Back