Vent hole tool

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a 1/16" bit chucked up in my drill for vent holes. :horse: What would the point be of using hole punches?

I have the squeeze type. Works quite well. After two or three punches you must clear the center of the punch tube or it will not make a clean hole. For each hole make sure there is no foreign material on the cutting edge of the punch tube. A dab of thin CA on the hole and lightly sand.

Mike

I use a 1/16" bit chucked up in my drill for vent holes. :horse: What would the point be of using hole punches?
A hole punch could leave the edges cleaner which could reduce the turbulence of the air as it passes the hole at higher velocities. When I make holes in cardboard I usually drill an undersized hole, soak in CA, then drill again to the finished size (I usually go to 1/8). Then I smooth the body tube with light sanding.

i was thinking it would make cleaner holes. drilling at least for me has added a raised edge to have to rework until smooth. i also think the inside would be smoother and not feather, which should make it have less turbulence for electronics.

Yes I have that exact tool and it works great and has a nice variety of sizes of holes. Also works to make holes in balsa, plastic (good for chutes, put your tape or disc on put a piece of card stock behind it, and punch away), and I have heard it even works on leather!

Here is what I use.
Lyman Flash hole deburing tool.jpg Also after the first round of drilling I use CA, then drill again. Some final sanding, inside and out and here's the results.
vent hole 3 sixtenths finished diameter.jpg The hole on the left is the vent. Finished diameter is 3/16".
The other is on the top centering ring for the rail button.
The tool is for hand loadng ammo. It deburs the flash hole.
I made the purchase online from MidwayUSA although I think Sportsmans WH has them also.

JP

Last edited:
For small tubes I use a dental pick that I straightened out. I have a 1/16" hole punch too, but it doesn't have a long reach.

kj

Back