vacuum pumps

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfrybry

Reaction score
What vacuum pumps are you using for your laminating and composite work? Do I need to spend $500 to $800 or more on a pump? I would appreciate feedback on ideal pump specs such as size, pressure, volume, etc. from people that have been there done that. I don't want to be replacing or upgrading as I progress. I am currently working on a 54mm min. dia. level 2 project and I am thinking of cutting my teeth on some fin lamination and tip to tip. Thanks. Bryan

I use an inexpensive Robinair 15150 VacuMaster 1.5 CFM Vacuum. I don't use it the same way most people use it though. I built a rig based on the Joe Woodworker design https://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/EVS/concept.htm

The biggest advantage for me is that is it much quieter. Of course the other advantages are that instead of running continuously for hours it cycles for 2 min and shuts down for 15 min or longer depending on how sealed the vac-bag is. So wear and electricity is a fraction of running it continuously.

Another vote for the Joe Woodworker web site. Even if you don't go with any of his products, there is a lot of information on the site. Knowing how they work and what each part does will help you decide what your need's are a bit better.

I too have a Robinair pump, but it's 3cfm. I also do vacuforming, so at least 3cfm is needed to pull down a part quickly before the plastic firms up again. You can get used Robinair vacuum pumps on EBay, usually for less than $150.

Unless they've changed since I bought mine, the pumps use an acme fitting. You'll need an acme-to-NPT fitting to connect it to most of the fittings that you'll be using. I paid way too much at a nearby supply house for mine because they only sold to dealers. You'll also have to shop around for a good price on the vacuum pump fluid.

Back