• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found USR Swarm kit or specs/plans for one

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Kemker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to recover my lost youth. [grin]

I'd like a USR Swarm (unbuilt or partially-completed) kit. Failing that, I'd love it if someone could measure theirs and provide me with specs to recreate one for myself. (@Lawndart ? Dale?)

I’ve got one. NIB. Happy to pass along measurements but good luck getting the oddball cone and body tubes. It’s 6” and I don’t think anyone offers compatible parts.

I’ve got one. NIB. Happy to pass along measurements but good luck getting the oddball cone and body tubes. It’s 6” and I don’t think anyone offers compatible parts.
If you post measurements, I will desing a 3D printed version.

Since I'm using Blue Tube for the main airframe, I'll probably stick with all Blue Tube for the rest. At least it's better than the carpet cores that Jerry used. [grin]

The best way would be to print it in multiple parts and glue it together. Any features you want added to the nose cone?
HED capability. I'd like to be able to have the parachute in the nosecone, along with the altimeter. At apogee, the nose pops off and a streamer comes out. At 300 AGL (or maybe 500) the 'chute deploys. Unless I decide to JLCR it.

I need to find a source for someone to cut those fins for me, now. This is going to be a long project.

Have you tried emailing Jerry and asking him if he still has kits available? I have bought a few different versions of the Swarm from him in the past 12-24 months.

Here is his email: [email protected]

Mr Jerry, he dead sir. 😕
I wanted to hit "like" on this because I've made the same Conrad reference many times in my life without ever running across anyone else who did, but I didn't want to give anyone the false impression I was grave dancing.

Edit to add: now that I think about it, was it Conrad?

Edit again: Conrad by way of Eliot. I finally twigged on it.

Last edited:
Well, I guess now it would not be an issue to post his designs online. I have a bunch of his kits, including a Swarm, sitting around either built or in storage. May take me a while, but I will dig them out and post up the specs, photos, etc. I guess I can start a thread in the HPR section once I get around to it.

I am about 1/4 way through the design? I may adjust the nose cone to hold a tracker.

I am about 1/4 way through the design? I may adjust the nose cone to hold a tracker.
It's going to be very similar to a LOC Goblin/FiberMax nosecone in shape and proportions.

(Dang. I just finished off my cup of coffee. Have to make more.)

For a 3D printed version, I'm wondering about using spackle/CWF/Glazing Putty to smooth out the ridges. Maybe even silica-filled epoxy.

It's going to be very similar to a LOC Goblin/FiberMax nosecone in shape and proportions.

(Dang. I just finished off my cup of coffee. Have to make more.)

For a 3D printed version, I'm wondering about using spackle/CWF/Glazing Putty to smooth out the ridges. Maybe even silica-filled epoxy.
That would work. It will probably take be a week to design. I am toying with making spacers for the tubes

I wanted to hit "like" on this because I've made the same Conrad reference many times in my life without ever running across anyone else who did, but I didn't want to give anyone the false impression I was grave dancing.

Edit to add: now that I think about it, was it Conrad?

Edit again: Conrad by way of Eliot. I finally twigged on it.
Hell yeah. Conrad. But I got it from Hunter Thompson/Timothy Leary.

Consider upping the thickness of the fins. Prone to warping.
How much of that was due to the cheap plywood Jerry used? After all, the original had what coud charitably be described as "carpet tube" airframe!.

Will probably glass them, now that I have a vacuum pump, the vacuum bagging connector, and the rest of the materials to vacuum-bag them. Since I have two extra fins, I have a bit of leeway, in case I make a mistake.

Back