Using Aerogloss balsa filler procedures (safety)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketManDan

Reaction score
I just wanted to get some feed back on how many of you out there use this according to the directions...

To what extent is "Well Ventilated" I used this product before, but it's something I don't use exclusively, because of the fumes. When I do use it I'm out in the garage and I always have the door open so there is air, but you can obviously still smell the fumes. I don't have a respiratory, but would think it would be a good thing to have if using this product exclusively. I think it is safe to say that all of us practice safety first, but maybe the directions should be more specific. I looked on the jar I had last night and it said nothing of having lung protection, but when I looked on a hobby website it mentions the following

https://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?I=LXAU64&P=8

Shouldn't this be on the directions of the jar too, not unless I misread them or perhaps I have an older jar? Not sure? Could someone check theirs if it's handy? I'm pretty sure I misread the jar, but it would probably be a good idea if Midwest included this in the product description on their website.

I went ahead and emailed MidWest to have them clarify both "Well Ventilated" and also what type of "Lung Protection" they recommend.

I usually use FnF or skin the fins with copy paper. I think I may just start building all my rockets with wood glue (Only using CA and Epoxy IF ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY) and staying away from all the toxic chemicals.

I know a lot of you guys out there are hard core Aero Gloss users... what procedures do you use?

Last edited:
Hehe, I've been know to apply it in a small room with no open windows. Probably why I tend to forget things a lot.

Seriously though it is nasty stuff and the warnings should be heeded, probably not good for your lungs, sinuses, eyeballs etc.

Hehe, I've been know to apply it in a small room with no open windows. Probably why I tend to forget things a lot.

Seriously though it is nasty stuff and the warnings should be heeded, probably not good for your lungs, sinuses, eyeballs etc.

Do you have a bottle handy to see what it says on it? Honestly I feel the the product produces nice results. There's a lot less sanding then other products and for me sometimes I like trying new things to see how it works, but it does produce a nasty odor/fumes.

Small room no open windows? Hmmm is that the same as "huffing" spray paint in a paper bag?

Do you have a bottle handy to see what it says on it? Honestly I feel the the product produces nice results. There's a lot less sanding then other products and for me sometimes I like trying new things to see how it works, but it does produce a nasty odor/fumes.

Small room no open windows? Hmmm is that the same as "huffing" spray paint in a paper bag?

I use it a lot for my models and prefer it to other techniques. In my last house I used it in the basement workshop, windows open if it was warm out, otherwise not. I have bad asthma and it's never bothered me at all although my daughters complain about the smell (which is why I can't use it on the dining room table).

I like the way it smells, it reminds me of younger days building rockets and model airplanes.

Not quite the same as huffing from a bag but I do occasionally feel "effects".

The jar does have a warning about breathing vapors and says to "open windows and doors or use other means to insure fresh air entry during applicaton and drying"

It also has a warning against intentional missuse by concentrating and inhaling the product. May be harmful to health or fatal.

Weather permitting I will use a window fan to exhaust fumes. The wife gets upset by the fumes, I try not to piss her off. I know there are some folks who won't use the stuff without a chemical respirator. As a life long smoker I'm not too worried that my occasional use of products like this will kill me.

It does make for a very nice plastic like finish but I only use it on LPRs. It's just too expensive (for me) to use on bigger fins.

So it doesn't actually say anything about using lung protection? This is the balsa filler coat. I'm sure the warning labels are all the same as far as warnings on their other products. I'm just curious why one site states it and the site (MidWest) who makes the product doesn't?

I'm asking because I want to know how harmful is really is? Is an open window all you need? If I continue to use the product I just want to be cautious and use it accordingly

I do agree you do feel the effects when using it YES it reminds me when I was younger I used the same product from time to time on my rockets.

I have a can right in front of me, basically says if you experience eye watering ,headache, or dizziness, then you should increase fresh air, use respiratory protection or leave the area. Nothing mentioned that you have to use a respirator. It says repeated and prolonged overexposure can lead to brain and nervous system damage. Also keep away from heat, sparks and flame.

I've never used it indoors, I go out side and apply it and let it dry before bringing the item back in the house. It has a good smell, but nothing I want in the house concentrated.

I have a can right in front of me, basically says if you experience eye watering ,headache, or dizziness, then you should increase fresh air, use respiratory protection or leave the area. Nothing mentioned that you have to use a respirator. It says repeated and prolonged overexposure can lead to brain and nervous system damage. Also keep away from heat, sparks and flame.

I've never used it indoors, I go out side and apply it and let it dry before bringing the item back in the house. It has a good smell, but nothing I want in the house concentrated.

Interesting hmmm? I also noticed on Hobbylinc's website that it doesn't contain lead, but that would be expected to be found in the older spray paints of younger days

https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/mid/mid70-4.htm

If you want the specifics, go to msds.com and search on "butyrate dope". Registration is free, and you can see the specifics of what its effects can be.

-Kevin

I like the smell of Sig Sanding Sealer, Testors Red Model glue, Krylon Spray paint and Squadron Putty. I also completely understood what Jessica Savage was saying on that news update back in the day. Yep, they don't call it dope fer nothin' so use it wisely.

Common sense is the main thing when using anything with volatile ingredients. If you feel goofy you've been overexposed. You don't want to long of skin contact with them either. They can be absorbed thru the skin. Also a high concentration of fumes in your work area can lead to a fire or worse.

Common sense is the main thing when using anything with volatile ingredients. If you feel goofy you've been overexposed. You don't want to long of skin contact with them either. They can be absorbed thru the skin. Also a high concentration of fumes in your work area can lead to a fire or worse.

I always wear gloves when working with it and then wash my hands well after I am done....

I do all my painting and sanding sealer work out of doors. Doesn't get much more ventilated than that.

That's an excellent point. I have a folding table and I am going to do the same thing...just for added measure of safety, Just off topic can anyone recommend a good respiratory for painting...I was considering something from 3M

Sorry for being late to the party on Balsa Filler dope...Great Stuff!

I've used Pactra now Midwest Balsa Filler dope since the late 60's. Generally without a respirator, unless I had one on for other painting purposes.

When I lived in an appartment the material was applied at the dinning room table. In the house in the closed basement or upstairs in the living room.
The Better 2/3rds doesn't like the smell, as I do but she puts up with it We generally have ceiling fans on so ventilation is not a problem. Can't remember the last time I go "Light headed" while using Filler dope.

Recently had full health work up, NO lung,liver,kidney or brain damage seen anywhere beyond my normal mal-adjusted self.
Always take labe warnings seriously but common sense is the KEY word. I truely believe we "modern people" overthink & over react to everything these days. LEAD, Mercury and Germs are not to be feared, rather respected and used with care.

Balsa filler dope is some FINE material for brush on filling. I usually perfer cheapy Primer balsa filling these days but when away from my booths balsa filler it my second choice.

Can also second Pat B's recommendation of the 3m respirator & filter cartridges...excellant protection & value.

Last edited:
To run off on a tangent, I have used the Aerogloss filler in the past I perfer
the Minwax Laquer Sanding Sealer better. Faster filling performance and so
far, I have not had any top coat incompatibilities.

As far as respirators I do not use one, I have a fairly large shop and alway
have the door cracked open when painting even in winter. I also often have
a fan on low (no dust issues in the finishes yet.)

To run off on a tangent, I have used the Aerogloss filler in the past I perfer
the Minwax Laquer Sanding Sealer better. Faster filling performance and so
far, I have not had any top coat incompatibilities.

As far as respirators I do not use one, I have a fairly large shop and alway
have the door cracked open when painting even in winter. I also often have
a fan on low (no dust issues in the finishes yet.)

Ron

You just reminded me of something? I have a couple of those heavy duty floor fans that I can use in my shop. They can also be mounted up on the wall, but probably not necessary. I might start using them.

Back