another spray paint thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjphoenix

Reaction score
I've read various threads here about spray paint, usually talking about Rustoleum or Krylon. I stumbled across this video on youtube of how to get a good paint job. In the video he is using Duplicolor primer and paint. But the secret as he mentions in the video is the use of a catalyzing clearcoat. I've seen this clearcoat mentioned in other videos and seems to be a good product if you want a really slick paint job. I've watched a channel related to painting guitars and he talks about the same material. There are downsides to the catalyzing clearcoat- you have to use good safety equipment and once activated the stuff only lasts a few days in the can. I don' think this would be a good method for LPR unless you want to really go crazy with it, but for an expensive highpower rocket that you want a really good paint job on it might be worth the trouble and expense. And I'll repeat the caution to not use the catalyzed clear unless you have the proper protection equipment.
My father owned an auto body shop when I was growing up but not much of it rubbed off on me. That was a long time ago and the paint technologies used back then are not the same as what is used now, clear coat was just starting to be used back then and there were problems with it.

Back