US Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you familiar with the story of the scorpion and frog?
Eh?...no. I take no sides in this; I just made some observations as a disinterested bystander and an active member of YORF. I have read some of the background of the 10+ year old feud, but I am not about to jump into something that played out well before I reactivated myself in the hobby and which I never had any part in. The incessant back and forth bickering and ranting that I encountered at RP awhile back, some of which was contributed by JJ, is a big reason why I haven't visited there much following the first few months after I joined that forum. So I have seen negatives as well as positives.

The scorpion walks up to the frog and says, "let me ride your back to get to the other side of the pond." The frog say, "no chance! You'll just sting me." "No I won't says the scorpion. If I did that we'd both drown." The frog things about it for a moment, realizes the scorpion would be committing suicide, and agrees. Sure enough, half way across the pond the scorpion stings the frog. "Why did you do it," says the frog as paralysis sets in, "now well both die." The scorpion shrugs and says, "it's my nature."

Eh?...no. I take no sides in this; I just made some observations as a disinterested bystander and an active member of YORF. I have read some of the background of the 10+ year old feud, but I am not about to jump into something that played out well before I reactivated myself in the hobby and which I never had any part in. The incessant back and forth bickering and ranting that I encountered at RP awhile back, some of which was contributed by JJ, is a big reason why I haven't visited there much following the first few months after I joined that forum. So I have seen negatives as well as positives.

I guess like Pete Rose there is no hope for rehabilitation in this lifetime. Poor Pete, just sits at the mall all day signing merchandise. There are sins that are unforgivable from the all powerful regulating bodies and any sign of weakness only usurps the core of that power. Law and order must prevail, keep up the good work men.

Ah, the old sin and redemption argument. Are you sure you can tell the difference between someone who can be honest with themselves and self delusion?

I guess like Pete Rose there is no hope for rehabilitation in this lifetime. Poor Pete, just sits at the mall all day signing merchandise. There are sins that are unforgivable from the all powerful regulating bodies and any sign of weakness only usurps the core of that power. Law and order must prevail, keep up the good work men.

Look at it this way; “how many flagrant violations do you get before being thrown out of the game for good”? I know it’s a subjective call, but sometimes those in charge have to make that call, out of concern for the well being of the game/organization. Sadly I see a parallel…:(

Fred

Did you miss this post?

If he sends motors to NAR S & T shipped properly with the proper paperwork and if the motors pass certification testing then they'll be certified. He is aware of this.

He has been given avenues of redemption and refuses to go that way.

From what I have seen of the available US Rockets kits;
Most are of old stock that have some weird discoloring of the white glassine body tubes.

JD

I have no experience with US Rockets, with the Tripoli Rocketry Association or with any of the history that has been mentioned. I did participate in threads on RP a few years ago into which several people, including but by no means limited to this person, dumped truckloads of bile and rancor. But here are a few more timely observations. The individual that is being discussed has been a member of YORF for at least a couple of years now. In that time, he has made numerous useful and insightful posts and has been an all-around positive contributor to discussions. He does not post very frequently there, but he does chime in from time to time. He seems to have a pretty deep knowledge of model rocketry history. I do not recall seeing any ranting or divisiveness in those posts. As others have mentioned, he has reactivated his rocket kit business and US Rockets kits are now available from several vendors as well as from the manufacturer himself. From what I can tell, he has made no mention of and he does not appear to be at all interested in selling hobby rocket motors to the public. He keeps the old USR rocket motor pages on his web site seemingly as a sort of a memento, maybe even as part of a résumé of sorts. My take on the motor pages is that since he pays the rent on the site, he can put up anything he wants on it.

Rehabilitation takes an interest in changing the behavior, as well as accepting responsibility for your actions.

I've yet to see either one.

-Kevin

...and Dave is getting piled on a bit. It's best if we just let the two individuals involved discuss it without any of us fanning the proverbial flames.

Thanks!

-Kevin
But piling on and fanning flames is okay in this thread, right?

- Rich

But piling on and fanning flames is okay in this thread, right?

- Rich

I don't envy Kevin's position one bit in this forum. No matter what he does or says in this situation is going to be WRONG to someone somewhere on the internet.

:bangpan:

OK, as a somewhat newbie BAR with out a complete knowledge of past events I will join in with the crowd and have some fun on this one. If it keeps on walking and talking like a Duck, it must be a Duck and is therefore made of wood and therefore floats and therefore it must be a witch, BURN HIM! All my US Rockets stuff was acquired second hand anyway. Time to go out to the farm and try out a few of those old US Rocket motors left in the box. If all goes well I might try out his V2 on an insta-ship, like Dirty Harry says: "Feeling lucky today PUNK!":bangbang:

Sorry Pete Rose, you are SOL too!:(

Hey Troj,

funny ain't it? Just the mention of JI & the thread count sky rockets.
This was going on when I became a BAR back in 2002. Probably will forever.

By the way did you ever have the non-pleasure of meeting J I?

I did,but we won't even go there, as they say on TV " a character":rolleyes:

I never met the guy, but have seen many of his motors fly back in the late 80s early 90s. Overall, he was disliked by a large part of the rocketry community.

My observations from then (I was only a teenager at the time) were that the motors had a higher failure rate than AeroTech or Vulcan. Mostly with long delay / no ejection issues (altimeters solve those problems).

I will say his sparkies (the poorly named 'FireStarter' propellant), were the first sparkies I've seen and were very cool when they worked (I estimate a little over 50% of those I seen worked).

If you fly any old motors, I'd imagine you are willing to take a risk with the rocket (just from age alone they can CATO).

That is what all those old, dinged up and overflown/repaired rockets are for. Give them a chance to go out in a blaze of glory and to provide at least one more moment of excitement. Never put an old second or third hand motor in anything nice. From this last batch of dubious motors I have almost completely destroyed my old port-pad with static tests, and have 2 TLP kits with the hind ends blown off, but what a lot of good clean fun! And that is just with the Estes and AT leftovers.

As a newbie I bought a Banshee off Ebay real cheap, wow, my first 29mm bird, but made the mistake of putting the US Rockets Banshee decal on my rainbow colored paint job that included the color neon Pink! Walking up to the pad I wondered if maybe I had forgot to shower - a quick pit smell - no that wasn't it. Was my fly unzipped? - no that wasn't it either, no toilet paper stuck to my shoe, nose was clean, gosh what could be wrong? A pinkish US Rocket! That is what was wrong!

Yes, this will go on forever. Is Sheri's Hot site still up?:y: Move on, nothing to see here folks! I'm still flying the Redstone, but everyone loves that one so I guess it won't get one of those yellow cased USR H motors. Ahhh, Jerry and Sheri, the good ole days, but that is what it takes to get the jaded public off the couch and back on to the forums.:D:pop:

In the single use motor w/ motor ejection world, I would agree. The rockets with some dings are cheap / disposable. Nothing to lose as long as you are safe. I'd think more on it before risking a reload casing or altimeter.

I remember my brother and I got a box of old Revanna Rocket Research motors for $1 each. E thrugh H motors. Some were not even labeled. They were a lot of fun. Too bad they are all long gone.

I'd say the old SU motors might be good collectors items. My 2 cents.

I remember my brother and I got a box of old Revanna Rocket Research motors for $1 each. E thrugh H motors. Some were not even labeled. They were a lot of fun. Too bad they are all long gone.

I'd say the old SU motors might be good collectors items. My 2 cents.

My L-1 Cert motor was a single use US Rockets H-160. Great motor---if I remember, the cost was $19.95 from our local vender. If the motor was still available and DOT legally shippable, would still be using them---easy to ignite---most excellent in a cluster.
(See yellow motor case resting on fin)

https://www.mdra-archive.org/photos/orls/WFRED.JPG

Fred

Last edited:
The SU motors that US Rockets / Dynamic systems ( or whoever actually produced them) were great when they worked as intended.
Many years ago, a club member flew a 54mm I 20 or something to that affect.
It was in a 3-4" rocket, might have been an EZ-I 65 ( not sure). It cleared the launch rod and did a few cartwheels before it hit the ground.

I almost forgot that; it was a Fire Starter SU and did hold up to it's name and start a small grass fire.

JD

Latest posts

Back