URRF II

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I think I know what happened. From the ground, I had no idea if the rocket had deployed or not. We tracked it all the way up thanks to the 2.5" long smoke grain, but never saw a disruption in smoke trail or any puffs of smoke from either apogee deployment charge. This had me concerned, as I thought both altimeters had failed.

Well, upon researching the data, it appears that the non-vertical flight lead to one of the two altimeters sensing apogee while the rocket was still traveling approximately 540 mph. 1/4" tubular kevlar really doesn't stand a chance in that application, and based on how much of the kevlar is left it appears to have snapped right at the top of the body tube. I had broken the inside edge of the tube with some sand paper so it wasn't sharp, but it didn't matter in this application.

Unfortunate series of events. For future flights, I will be using different altimeters. I had relied on a barometric unit as I was using an older version of a popular accelerometer, but it appears that I had it backwards.

Mongoose_54_Apogee_Screen_shot_apogee.jpg

Semi-bad day. Blew the piss out of my Bad Attitude with a 6000 blue. This motor was supposed to be more conservative than my 2550 yesterday.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1404006798.736002.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1404006810.938351.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1404006824.855261.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1404006848.596837.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1404006866.043517.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1404006886.198287.jpg

Also, a local recovered my Mongoose booster, less a foot of tube or so from the lawn dart. All in all, I'm 90% whole again.

Nice pics though!
I put up my Dark Star on a Kosdon East M 2240.
The 4" x 80" tall x 27 lb did 13,091 ft

JD

Did my L3 yesterday. Scratch built 4 inch rocket went about 11,200 ft and mach 1.1 on an Aerotech M1500 G. Thanks to Mike Dutch for L3CC cert duties.

Dan and mark- I know for sure I got some photos of your flights. Amazing weather.

Personally I put up my darkstar on a K805G to about 6850'. Best felling in the world is seeing a chute pop open out of no where. Unfortunately it landed in an irrigation ditch, and Gary and a recovery guy saw it blowing down the creek with the. Chute fully inflated. Guy said the floating NC looked like a beaver chasing a jellyfish. The electronics are sitting in rice. I'll try those in a couple days.

After that I lost a small blue 2.54" rocket in the trees behind the flight line on an F23 of all things. Got frustrated so I pulled out the old reliable Optima for four flawless G powered flights.

All in all I'm having a ton of fun. And once I get electronics sorted out, I'll put the wildman up on the K1100 next month.

Photos should be posted within the week, I'll put links here.

Dan and mark- I know for sure I got some photos of your flights. Amazing weather.

Personally I put up my darkstar on a K805G to about 6850'. Best felling in the world is seeing a chute pop open out of no where. Unfortunately it landed in an irrigation ditch, and Gary and a recovery guy saw it blowing down the creek with the. Chute fully inflated. Guy said the floating NC looked like a beaver chasing a jellyfish. The electronics are sitting in rice. I'll try those in a couple days.

After that I lost a small blue 2.54" rocket in the trees behind the flight line on an F23 of all things. Got frustrated so I pulled out the old reliable Optima for four flawless G powered flights.

All in all I'm having a ton of fun. And once I get electronics sorted out, I'll put the wildman up on the K1100 next month.

Photos should be posted within the week, I'll put links here.

David,

Apologies that we never crossed paths. I had my wife with me and did my best to juggle keeping me happy and keeping her happy. That meant getting to the field by 10, making a flight, recovering, and then heading to one of the Finger Lakes for dinner and a relaxing evening. Not complaining, it just shifted priorities to 50% launch, 50% happy wife. She had fun and so did I, so it was a success!

Looking forward to the pictures. Based on what I've seen in the past they will be spectacular.

Thanks to URRG for the great time. Seriously great launch. I won't need onions on my sandwiches for a while!

Happy wife is very important. And the finger lakes dining isn't too shabby. I couldn't hear the announcer too clearly in the field, didn't realize Bad Attitude was your flight. I've got some VERY interesting shots of that flight.

Happy wife is very important. And the finger lakes dining isn't too shabby. I couldn't hear the announcer too clearly in the field, didn't realize Bad Attitude was your flight. I've got some VERY interesting shots of that flight.

Unfortunately it was. Not really sure what happened on that motor. The motor in the Bad Attitude (76-6000) was significantly more conservative than the 54-2550 that I had put in my Mongoose 54 on Friday. The Mongoose's motor performed perfectly, while the Bad Attitude CATO'd. I didn't recover any portion of the motor, so it's almost impossibe to discern what occurred. Based on the onboard video the motor suffered a fore end failure and promptly evacuated from the rocket, which has a bulkhead above the motor that kept the rocket from separating when it CATO'd. You can clearly see the AeroPack retainer still on the motor in screen shot 3 that I posted previously. Chalking this one up to a bad forward snap ring groove, but I will never know for sure...

I'm in the process of tossing some videos together and putting them on Youtube.

WWOOOWWW...
That was one incredible weekend...
My wife and I both had a fantastic time....
Everyone of you guys are the reason,,,
There were so many insanely cool flights,,,,
It was one right after another,,, for 3 days......
I got 2 flights in that were really important to me.......

My 3" fiberglass scratch "Green Hornet"
went for a long ride on an Aerotech K 480 W to 11,373 ft.....
Recovery was at the back of the field almost to the far road....

My 54mm minimum D "Altitude Seeker"
went up on an Aerotech K 550 W and made 9615 ft.
and landed in the same area....
Thank you to the guys that found it first... lol

I am truly enjoying the Big Red Bee ham based tracker....
It was quite frustrating in the beginning,,,
Now it's half the fun of the flight.....
I find I am flying higher, with more confidence now that
I am following the tracker right to the rocket...

Connor,,,
What a nice young man you are,,, what a great head you've got on your shoulders.....
My heartiest congratulations on your level 1 cert......
You are certainly going to put up some super cool flights in your rocketry endeavors.....
And you will most definitely succeed in anything else you put your mind to in life....
You parents are sure proud of you as well......

May you make all the right choices in life Connor.....

Teddy

Great time this weekend. Nice meeting some new people and catching up with the others.

8 flights - 3 research Dual deploy, and 5 commercial top poppers. Lost a little rocket that the sky swallowed. Brought home the gifted remains of a big one to try to rebuild.

Unfortunately it was. Not really sure what happened on that motor. The motor in the Bad Attitude (76-6000) was significantly more conservative than the 54-2550 that I had put in my Mongoose 54 on Friday. The Mongoose's motor performed perfectly, while the Bad Attitude CATO'd. I didn't recover any portion of the motor, so it's almost impossibe to discern what occurred. Based on the onboard video the motor suffered a fore end failure and promptly evacuated from the rocket, which has a bulkhead above the motor that kept the rocket from separating when it CATO'd. You can clearly see the AeroPack retainer still on the motor in screen shot 3 that I posted previously. Chalking this one up to a bad forward snap ring groove, but I will never know for sure...

I'm in the process of tossing some videos together and putting them on Youtube.

Thought the case hit by the end of the flight line.... what was left of it.... or was that another rocket?

Thought the case hit by the end of the flight line.... what was left of it.... or was that another rocket?

I actually chased that down and it was a part of the liner. I didn't see where the actual case went!

I actually chased that down and it was a part of the liner. I didn't see where the actual case went!

Yep. started with the case and kicked out of that too.... ouch.

14353688329_6a1270d6f3.jpg
14538800314_d32033aa72.jpg
14538800234_7b38b66262.jpg

WWOOOWWW...
That was one incredible weekend...
My wife and I both had a fantastic time....
Everyone of you guys are the reason,,,
There were so many insanely cool flights,,,,
It was one right after another,,, for 3 days......
I got 2 flights in that were really important to me.......

My 3" fiberglass scratch "Green Hornet"
went for a long ride on an Aerotech K 480 W to 11,373 ft.....
Recovery was at the back of the field almost to the far road....

My 54mm minimum D "Altitude Seeker"
went up on an Aerotech K 550 W and made 9615 ft.
and landed in the same area....
Thank you to the guys that found it first... lol

I am truly enjoying the Big Red Bee ham based tracker....
It was quite frustrating in the beginning,,,
Now it's half the fun of the flight.....
I find I am flying higher, with more confidence now that
I am following the tracker right to the rocket...

Connor,,,
What a nice young man you are,,, what a great head you've got on your shoulders.....
My heartiest congratulations on your level 1 cert......
You are certainly going to put up some super cool flights in your rocketry endeavors.....
And you will most definitely succeed in anything else you put your mind to in life....
You parents are sure proud of you as well......

May you make all the right choices in life Connor.....

Teddy

Thank you Teddy. It was great to finally meet you. I wouldn't have been able to do it with out you. From helping me with my certification to helping me figure things out and borrow a motor case. This was a great launch with many great flights.

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

Simple video of my Mongoose 54 taking off with the GoPro pad cam set at 120 fps. Doesn't show much, but cool nonetheless.

[video=youtube;oKqrkQpgRcw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKqrkQpgRcw[/video]

Wow Dan,,
Doesn't show much???
That is a seriously cool video...
You got the angle of the camera AND the distance from the pad perfect...
The rocket stayed in frame for the whole boost,,, for the whole video...
And the smoke trail obscuring the sun,, the dirt kicking out...

Perfect...

Teddy

Another awesome URRF launch, and fantastic weather to boot!

Here is a shot of the launch site from my Competitor 5 on Friday flying on a 98/12500 Slow White Lightning load to 18K.

Specter_URRF2_18Kft_2.JPG

Here's a snapshot of the valley from 3,800'. Video to follow (as soon as my Mac cooperates...).

Screen Shot 2014-06-29 at June 29, 20148.02.26 PM.jpg

Video finally loaded to Youtube.

Many thanks to Andrew Diehl (landru) for the camera shroud and Mobius recommendation. I recommend that you check out www.additiveaerospace.com and get one for yourself!

[video=youtube;wJAFiGFK_gE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJAFiGFK_gE[/video]

Last edited:
Nice video, great view of the farm. That fly wanted to go for a ride...

Red-necked and sore. Had a great time at a well organized launch.Thanks to Billy-Bob Clune and the Clune Clan and everyone at URRG and supporting clubs. Looking for Photos of My (black w/silver stripes and red cone) Competitor 5 on a CTI L1410 launched on Sunday (as well the 6 grain case that pooped out the back end during the recovery) but really photos would be great at this point. I could really go for a lemonade right about now.

Now for the fun video...where my Bad Attitude pukes its 76-6000 motor, never to be seen again...

[video=youtube;p-KJCeNiFn4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-KJCeNiFn4[/video]

Wow. that thing was moving. The video made one of my twins start crying from across the room.... then she toddled over to watch.

First and foremost kudos to the folks who made the event happen!

How they arranged the weather I will never figure out, but if they can bottle it, sign me up for a couple of gallons!

Second, Karen and I went grocery shopping this evening and when she picked up a bag of onions, I thought I was gonna faint. You would have had to have been there to understand.

Karen had a bang up time burning thru old AT stock I have had laying around, she can post for herself what she flew...I lost count.

I managed to fly my Little Dog, which had been laying around prepped for about five months on a 2000 vintage H238, the King Viper (Yes Steve Heller, that one) on 3 X I-180 Skid, The 5.5" Skeeter on an I-215R which fouled the main and still will live to fly (need to fix a tube-end crunch), The 54mm Stealth on the new J long-burn Skid, the Patriot after dark, and Real Men Fly Pink Rockets on the M1679PK to 6673'.

I spent way too much time on Saturday fighting with my 2 Stage Thunder and Lightning, never was quite happy and gave up. I'll fly it in July @ Metra.

I did learn I need to do a way better job on mounting my batteries for night flight rockets. The shock at ejection just dislodged both batteries. Will try again at the CTRA invitational if they launch after dark.

P.S. The Miami Motel in Canandaigua is absolutely the place to stay if you are not camping out.

First and foremost kudos to the folks who made the event happen!

How they arranged the weather I will never figure out, but if they can bottle it, sign me up for a couple of gallons!

Second, Karen and I went grocery shopping this evening and when she picked up a bag of onions, I thought I was gonna faint. You would have had to have been there to understand.

Karen had a bang up time burning thru old AT stock I have had laying around, she can post for herself what she flew...I lost count.

I managed to fly my Little Dog, which had been laying around prepped for about five months on a 2000 vintage H238, the King Viper (Yes Steve Heller, that one) on 3 X I-180 Skid, The 5.5" Skeeter on an I-215R which fouled the main and still will live to fly (need to fix a tube-end crunch), The 54mm Stealth on the new J long-burn Skid, the Patriot after dark, and Real Men Fly Pink Rockets on the M1679PK to 6673'.

I spent way too much time on Saturday fighting with my 2 Stage Thunder and Lightning, never was quite happy and gave up. I'll fly it in July @ Metra.

I did learn I need to do a way better job on mounting my batteries for night flight rockets. The shock at ejection just dislodged both batteries. Will try again at the CTRA invitational if they launch after dark.

P.S. The Miami Motel in Canandaigua is absolutely the place to stay if you are not camping out.

Don't even get me started on the onions:):)

Wow Dan,,
That was another cool video...
What was the projected altitude if everything went correctly ???
Must have been pretty high...

Dave,,
It was super cool to finally meet you...
That's one of the things I enjoy most,,,
meeting someone you've typed with for so long...

Onions,,, Onions,,, and more Onions...............

I cleaned my truck out twice...
The mini onion tornado's blew the onions into every nook and cranny in my truck..... lol

Teddy

Back