Upscale Mach 10

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I got the bug to try to do some tube forming and do an upscale of my mach 10 upscale....Full build thread is here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1769788

64" wingspan, 36" tube length of wound 3mm depron, 26 ounces dry weight..

Here's a few pics....More in the build thread on rcgroups. Idea is the wing will attach in the middle of the fuse/tail profile and the tube will be slotted and slipped over the front, and the fuse will act as a sort of a splitter, air will flow straight through the tube to reduce frontal drag. Hope you enjoy it!

I've included a shot of my 4" version for 24mm.

WP_000467.jpgWP_000464.jpgWP_000469.jpgMach10.jpg

Last edited:
Nice!

Be sure to make a video of the flight. It should be interesting to watch :)

I like this a *lot*!! If you can control the boost well, this should be quite fantastic to see, I can't wait!!

Yes, upscale RC Mach 10 models are neat.

[YOUTUBE]uuy2shK-ut0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]1chAihW6Ze4[/YOUTUBE]

DSCN5584.jpgmach10.jpg

kj

Last edited:
Quite a bit more progress yesterday. Wing loading will be about 5.8oz/sq foot and 43 ounces rtf with a G-40 or G-38.

WP_000475.jpgWP_000476.jpgWP_000477.jpgWP_000478.jpg

KJ is right, upscales of the Mach10 are neat. Here's a link to my 4" version before I removed some nose weight to help the flare. This is on an E-6 motor and no balast is dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtvfFoQ7tz4

Frank

Looks great! I really need to try some of this foam-- I rather like the idea of really big gliders on small motors!

I like this a *lot*!! If you can control the boost well, this should be quite fantastic to see, I can't wait!!

How did you form the tube on the great big one (was it LOC Magnum-sized, or a I remembering wrong?) you flew last moth on an E12? Wasn't that one just rolled foam sheets?

I used a loc 7.5" sized tube, but a phenolic version, that was custom made that I had from my 7.5" pershing build. Loc magnum is 5.5" so is smaller diameter.

Re: the last month flight, are you talking about a Mach 10? I didn't fly that plane last month, however my version used a bt-101 tube, and I used E-6 RC motors. Maybe you are remembering a different one that I flew.....
Maybe you were referring the question to Astron Mike....

Frank

Last edited:
I have seen one at a launch a guy did with a 4" main tube. he made it R/C so he could fly it back.

The rear elevator was set so during boost it was straight during boost, then when he wanted it to glide it pitched up to give the extra lift needed for the glide. Very well thought out and done.

I look forward to seeing yours built and flying! should be awesome no matter what!

Looks great! I really need to try some of this foam-- I rather like the idea of really big gliders on small motors!
How did you form the tube on the great big one (was it LOC Magnum-sized, or a I remembering wrong?) you flew last moth on an E12? Wasn't that one just rolled foam sheets?

That one was just 1mm Depron rolled in like a 6" circle, with a tad of overlap, since the internal stuffer tube and C-rings had all the support. As you saw, it flew OK, a wimpy charge did not help though.

Now, for *this* month, BWAHHAHAHAHHAHAA!!

A bit more progress, did some of the trim, did chrome on the bottom for visibility and to give some landing protection to the depron, made some fake gear doors, etc, waiting for the stars and bars.

WP_000482.jpgWP_000479.jpgWP_000483.jpg

Frank

Did a bit more detail work, added some leading edge slats, rudder, and air brakes with a sharpie, and some nose numbers/nasa decals as well as a glare shield on the nose.....Just waiting for the stars and bars....should be here tomorrow.

Frank

WP_000502.jpg

Well, I was worried about wing flex and that turned out to be the right thing to be worried about:) Unfortunately the weight came out so that I couldn't fly it on anything smaller....I'd have had to use ribs and sheeting or do a foam core and sheeting with this long a span to prevent the twisting that happened. Here is the video, you can see on the slow motion version that the ends of the wings go almost 90 degrees before failure.........This ones for you guys who wonder if everything I make works perfect first time out....

At least the boost was straight, so no offset drag or thrustline issues till it failed. I learned something in the construction of the tube, and now I have some parts to put into a spaceship one. As Von Braun once said, if you don't have a failure, you aren't learning anything new:)

Enjoy, If you put it on 1080p it's not bad.

https://youtu.be/gBGUov7jGoY

Frank

Last edited:
You can't see it on full speed but in slow motion --- WOW that was crazy flex --- Sorry for the quick ending :(

At least you got a video of it. I've always said if your going to crash you at least need a pic or video to preserve the memory.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the model. The video is very instructional. Thank you for posting it, and for your analysis. We learn as much from failures as from successes--thank you for helping us learn.

Ari.

Latest posts

Back