Ultimate Wildman build - Space Fire Edition

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smapdiage9

Reaction score
Let’s do this!

It all starts with bath time:
Tf376r5l.jpg

And now that it’s clean, let’s make the entire room dirty by roughing up everything with a power sander:
5sVhVPUm.jpg

ChiqdBbm.jpg

My harbor freight cordless oscillating tool is, once again, the best rocket building thing I have ever purchased.
One of the first lessons I had to learn on this build is that the flanged aeropack retainer does not overlap the MMT at all. It’s on you to center it over the tube precisely and then it secures only to the aft centering ring. I don’t have any 98mm cases, but a 4” tube (or, in my case, a 3” motor with an aeropack 98 to 75 adapter shimmed with masking tape into the center of the MMT) sufficed to line things up. Once it was aligned I drilled, tapped, and installed screws one at a time. I accomplished this with the aft CR tacked into place using CA.

48feXP8m.jpg

C6vKYQvm.jpg

The balancing act here is lining up the MMT, aeropack screws, recovery bridle, and fin slots to where nothing interferes with anything else. My first interference was with the screws sticking out of the aft centering ring, and I made some space using the cutting blade on my oscillating tool which went through the screws like butter. I totally ended up not needing this at all, which goes to show you: test fit more times than you think you need to!

0jsAwVum.jpg

I removed and greased the screws, reinstalled them one by one backed by nuts (since the provided threaded inserts are designed for a wooden CR not a fiberglass one) and then slopped rocketpoxy all over everything. I cleaned it up a little better than this, so once it was dry I had a structural fillet between the CR and MMT, with epoxy-retained nuts acting as further thread purchase behind the thin centering ring, and all the screws are still removable meaning I could swap or replace this retainer.

9GCilGDm.jpg

Once all the fin slot positions were traced out I blocked them off with white masking tape then slathered on another big goopy mess of rocketpoxy to retain the Kevlar bridle in the gaps.

2lWzVNAm.jpg

The next piece of interference to work out is backing up the rail button screws. I positioned one above the forward CR location (so no interference with anything) and one just forward of the aft CR location. These positions meant I can take the assembled MMT with CRs and insert it diagonally to avoid needing to notch the forward CR to get past the aft tee nut. I originally bought rubber well nuts to do this but I couldn’t make them fit with the screw size I had for the 1515 buttons I had on hand, so I ended up using steel tee nuts with a fillet of epoxy retaining them in place. Greased screws once again made everything line up perfectly but still be removable.

AaWpEgXl.jpg

The Kevlar bridle has to be treated carefully during assembly to avoid soaking in epoxy or suffering wear points. The only portion where it is encapsulated by epoxy are several inches down the end of the tube so pulling forces are relatively straight by the time it reaches the epoxied portion, and the rest is covered by masking tape to prevent any further glue from touching it. Two rounded notches were filed into the forward CR and sanded smooth to avoid wear points.

Lined up:
Q2Szxjmm.jpg

B6e1394m.jpg

Alright so once that MMT was inserted in place I began tacking fins with rocketpoxy. The same method I used for my Extreme Wildman worked well here: use angle iron to make a bracket that holds the tube in place with the working fin slot exactly on the top of the tube, then secure a level to the fin and use tape to hold it in place until the tacking glue is dry. It would be a lot faster to just use a fin alignment jig but this is easy and works too.

2H7XvyVm.jpg

WEx6ydBl.jpg

Time for epoxy mess! I did injected internal fillets with syringes, with 10ml syringes in four evenly spaced holes along each fin root edge. Rocketpoxy mixed with chopped carbon fiber. Note for future: 10ml syringes are WAY too small, whatever size your syringes are you probably won’t be able to get it totally full which means you’ll end up filling them over and over. I did each set quickly, so that I could tilt the tube to let it flow forward and backward along the fin root and connecting to each centering ring.
Translucent tube makes it easy to see your coverage: I used undyed rocketpoxy (white) on the fin root edge for tacking, then black rocketpoxy for the fillets so you can see the difference. The peaks are because I spaced the injection holes a little far away from the fin slot, except that large peak on the left which is actually the fin can bridle attachment point.

fbCUONBm.jpg

Once all that mess was over, it was time for the outside mess of external fillets. Alcohol covered PVC cap was used to make fillets. Note for future: fill in the injection holes before you make external fillets, so you don’t end up with four big divots that have to be filled in later.

Q0js6SJm.jpg

My nosecone came with a wooden bulkhead and U-bolt. I roughed and cleaned everything up and then just slopped epoxy to secure it into the nosecone. I run my trackers inside the avionics bay, and this avbay is gigantic which means I really don’t have any need to put anything in the nose. If I want to add weight later I’ll just drill a hole and pour in an epoxy/lead slurry, there’s plenty of real estate.

v2QvBqhm.jpg

The ultimate comes with aluminum bulkheads. Everybody loves these because they are slick but I have always been annoyed by them because they’re harder to drill holes in, way heavier than fiberglass or wood, and almost impossible to sand if they don’t fit properly. For mine I made two holes for the allthread, one for the giant shouldered eye bolt, one for primary and alternate match leads to go through, two for charge holder screws, and one for the tracker antenna.

3sZEm0Im.jpg

sQneun1m.jpg

TJsSdadm.jpg

I used two schurter rotary switches to disconnect arming power for my Eggtimer TRS and Featherweight Raven 3. The image of the sled is a test fit; I fully encapsulated the brass tubes with epoxy to hold the sled in between them, then use a piece of laser cut blocking wood on either end held in place by nuts so that for/aft forces are transmitted directly through the sled/wood/nuts to the allthread.

The recovery system doesn’t have any pics yet. Here’s what I’m using:
120” Top Flight main chute
24” Sky Angle Cert 3 drogue
½” tubular Kevlar throughout, except 1” flat Kevlar fin can bridle.
5/16” steel allthread and hardware
3/8”x1-1/4” machinery eye bolts

The payload tube is secured to the avionics bay/coupler with steel 4-40 screws and pem nuts epoxied inside the coupler.
The main compartment separation and drogue compartment separation are retained from early separation by 3x 4-40 nylon screws acting as shear pins. Burnout deceleration simulates to about -2.7Gs. Burnout mass of the nosecone, bulkhead, and parachute is 1497g, then adding recovery harness and wrap estimates totals 1750g times a 3G max deceleration = 5250g or 11.5lbs of decel force. Three 4-40 screws provide a shear resistance of 92-138lbs which means a minimum 8-9 times safety factor above the simulated deceleration forces to prevent premature main chute deployment. Convention has other rocket builders using their maximum acceleration as a target retention need assuming a worst-case instant stop; for this flight (M1350W) that is 9.5G, or 36.6 lbs so either way three 4-40 pins is sufficient. This is all based on conventional shortcuts since a real answer would involve the drag difference between the forward and aft portions of the rocket and their relative weights but let’s not worry about that!

Starting to realize that this is a big damn rocket:

aHMfA5Xm.jpg

I really dislike painting and finishing. Stickershock23 came through again for me on this one: my pink fractal Extreme Wildman was my first wrap and it came out so well I knew I’d do it again on this one. I said “I want fire on the front and outer space on the back!”

Painting the fins black:
zplurvom.jpg

Wrapping the nosecone and payload:
4BCC05Wl.jpg

The completed wrap:
1TsvJmwl.jpg

lcu1mHHl.jpg

jyMn4Kgl.jpg

Last edited:
Let’s do this!

It all starts with bath time:
Tf376r5l.jpg

And now that it’s clean, let’s make the entire room dirty by roughing up everything with a power sander:
5sVhVPUm.jpg

ChiqdBbm.jpg

My harbor freight cordless oscillating tool is, once again, the best rocket building thing I have ever purchased.
One of the first lessons I had to learn on this build is that the flanged aeropack retainer does not overlap the MMT at all. It’s on you to center it over the tube precisely and then it secures only to the aft centering ring. I don’t have any 98mm cases, but a 4” tube (or, in my case, a 3” motor with an aeropack 98 to 75 adapter shimmed with masking tape into the center of the MMT) sufficed to line things up. Once it was aligned I drilled, tapped, and installed screws one at a time. I accomplished this with the aft CR tacked into place using CA.

48feXP8m.jpg

C6vKYQvm.jpg

The balancing act here is lining up the MMT, aeropack screws, recovery bridle, and fin slots to where nothing interferes with anything else. My first interference was with the screws sticking out of the aft centering ring, and I made some space using the cutting blade on my oscillating tool which went through the screws like butter. I totally ended up not needing this at all, which goes to show you: test fit more times than you think you need to!

0jsAwVum.jpg

I removed and greased the screws, reinstalled them one by one backed by nuts (since the provided threaded inserts are designed for a wooden CR not a fiberglass one) and then slopped rocketpoxy all over everything. I cleaned it up a little better than this, so once it was dry I had a structural fillet between the CR and MMT, with epoxy-retained nuts acting as further thread purchase behind the thin centering ring, and all the screws are still removable meaning I could swap or replace this retainer.

9GCilGDm.jpg

Once all the fin slot positions were traced out I blocked them off with white masking tape then slathered on another big goopy mess of rocketpoxy to retain the Kevlar bridle in the gaps.

2lWzVNAm.jpg

The next piece of interference to work out is backing up the rail button screws. I positioned one above the forward CR location (so no interference with anything) and one just forward of the aft CR location. These positions meant I can take the assembled MMT with CRs and insert it diagonally to avoid needing to notch the forward CR to get past the aft tee nut. I originally bought rubber well nuts to do this but I couldn’t make them fit with the screw size I had for the 1515 buttons I had on hand, so I ended up using steel tee nuts with a fillet of epoxy retaining them in place. Greased screws once again made everything line up perfectly but still be removable.

AaWpEgXl.jpg

The Kevlar bridle has to be treated carefully during assembly to avoid soaking in epoxy or suffering wear points. The only portion where it is encapsulated by epoxy are several inches down the end of the tube so pulling forces are relatively straight by the time it reaches the epoxied portion, and the rest is covered by masking tape to prevent any further glue from touching it. Two rounded notches were filed into the forward CR and sanded smooth to avoid wear points.

Lined up:
Q2Szxjmm.jpg

B6e1394m.jpg

Alright so once that MMT was inserted in place I began tacking fins with rocketpoxy. The same method I used for my Extreme Wildman worked well here: use angle iron to make a bracket that holds the tube in place with the working fin slot exactly on the top of the tube, then secure a level to the fin and use tape to hold it in place until the tacking glue is dry. It would be a lot faster to just use a fin alignment jig but this is easy and works too.

2H7XvyVm.jpg

WEx6ydBl.jpg

Time for epoxy mess! I did injected internal fillets with syringes, with 10ml syringes in four evenly spaced holes along each fin root edge. Rocketpoxy mixed with chopped carbon fiber. Note for future: 10ml syringes are WAY too small, whatever size your syringes are you probably won’t be able to get it totally full which means you’ll end up filling them over and over. I did each set quickly, so that I could tilt the tube to let it flow forward and backward along the fin root and connecting to each centering ring.
Translucent tube makes it easy to see your coverage: I used undyed rocketpoxy (white) on the fin root edge for tacking, then black rocketpoxy for the fillets so you can see the difference. The peaks are because I spaced the injection holes a little far away from the fin slot, except that large peak on the left which is actually the fin can bridle attachment point.

fbCUONBm.jpg

Once all that mess was over, it was time for the outside mess of external fillets. Alcohol covered PVC cap was used to make fillets. Note for future: fill in the injection holes before you make external fillets, so you don’t end up with four big divots that have to be filled in later.

Q0js6SJm.jpg

My nosecone came with a wooden bulkhead and U-bolt. I roughed and cleaned everything up and then just slopped epoxy to secure it into the nosecone. I run my trackers inside the avionics bay, and this avbay is gigantic which means I really don’t have any need to put anything in the nose. If I want to add weight later I’ll just drill a hole and pour in an epoxy/lead slurry, there’s plenty of real estate.

v2QvBqhm.jpg

The ultimate comes with aluminum bulkheads. Everybody loves these because they are slick but I have always been annoyed by them because they’re harder to drill holes in, way heavier than fiberglass or wood, and almost impossible to sand if they don’t fit properly. For mine I made two holes for the allthread, one for the giant shouldered eye bolt, one for primary and alternate match leads to go through, two for charge holder screws, and one for the tracker antenna.

3sZEm0Im.jpg

sQneun1m.jpg

TJsSdadm.jpg

I used two schurter rotary switches to disconnect arming power for my Eggtimer TRS and Featherweight Raven 3. The image of the sled is a test fit; I fully encapsulated the brass tubes with epoxy to hold the sled in between them, then use a piece of laser cut blocking wood on either end held in place by nuts so that for/aft forces are transmitted directly through the sled/wood/nuts to the allthread.

The recovery system doesn’t have any pics yet. Here’s what I’m using:
120” Top Flight main chute
24” Sky Angle Cert 3 drogue
½” tubular Kevlar throughout, except 1” flat Kevlar fin can bridle.
3/8” steel allthread and hardware
3/8”x1-1/4” machinery eye bolts

The payload tube is secured to the avionics bay/coupler with steel 4-40 screws and pem nuts epoxied inside the coupler.
The main compartment separation and drogue compartment separation are retained from early separation by 3x 4-40 nylon screws acting as shear pins. Burnout deceleration simulates to about -2.7Gs. Burnout mass of the nosecone, bulkhead, and parachute is 1497g, then adding recovery harness and wrap estimates totals 1750g times a 3G max deceleration = 5250g or 11.5lbs of decel force. Three 4-40 screws provide a shear resistance of 92-138lbs which means a minimum 8-9 times safety factor above the simulated deceleration forces to prevent premature main chute deployment. Convention has other rocket builders using their maximum acceleration as a target retention need assuming a worst-case instant stop; for this flight (M1350W) that is 9.5G, or 36.6 lbs so either way three 4-40 pins is sufficient. This is all based on conventional shortcuts since a real answer would involve the drag difference between the forward and aft portions of the rocket and their relative weights but let’s not worry about that!

Starting to realize that this is a big damn rocket:

aHMfA5Xm.jpg

I really dislike painting and finishing. Stickershock23 came through again for me on this one: my pink fractal Extreme Wildman was my first wrap and it came out so well I knew I’d do it again on this one. I said “I want fire on the front and outer space on the back!”

Painting the fins black:
zplurvom.jpg

Wrapping the nosecone and payload:
4BCC05Wl.jpg

The completed wrap:
1TsvJmwl.jpg

lcu1mHHl.jpg

jyMn4Kgl.jpg

Wow. That is a fantastic wrap and a great job....

Thanks! And thanks again, forum, for continuing to ignore the rocket construction mess I keep on the dining table.

uuihIzKl.jpg

I really didn't realize how big a 6" rocket is. It doesn't seem like much over the couple of 3" rockets I've got, but here is a 3" fincan and the 6" fincan together. Huuuuge difference!

3/8" hardware!!! :eyepop:

I originally built mine with 5/16" and realized right away that it was overkill. I have 20+ flights on 1/4".

3/8" = unnecessary added weight.

I 100% agree. But I fly under a low waiver with trees all around, so heavy is better. If that wasn't the case I woulda just stuck an M in my 4" wildman and called it a day. :)

Also it's way more satisfying to use the gigantic wing nuts on 3/8" hardware, hehe. [edit] actually I think my wingnuts and allthread are 5/16, and just the eye bolts are 3/8. Still huge wingnuts!

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

I built the M1350W DMS, which was super easy and went together in like five minutes:

boy9fxEm.jpg

But then I realized I've been sitting on this two pack of F-42s for a couple years and I need to get rid of them. With enough adapters, anything is possible:

R6sYXBxl.jpg

Great build, I’m not trying to hijack your build thread but I just wanted to point out a few tips so others reading this will know that you do not need to add any fillers (chopped carbon fibers) to ROCKETPOXY. This epoxy is already formulated as a high strength structural filled material and already has all the optimum fillers mixed in and is ready to use right out of the container.
I know this is a hard habit to break sometimes because many of the other epoxies sold by some rocket vendors have little to no fillers in them and require add ins (fillers) to increase their strength, but this is not the case with ROCKETPOXY.

Also one advantage of using ROCKETPOXY when using a colored fiberglass tube ( Red tube in your case) is you can easily mix in colored pigments to match the tube color. You could do your fin fillets in red to match your red tube. Also even when epoxying items inside the translucent Red tube if you mix the ROCKETPOXY with the red pigment you will “hide” the epoxy inside the translucent red tube for a very nice clean looking finish. I realize in your case you just wrapped the complete rocket with stickers (which also looks great) but I was mostly giving this advice for builders who plan on using colored airframe tubing without painting or stickers as this is a big advantage for using the colored airframe tubing.
Note: Red pigment for coloring ROCKETPOXY (and other colors) are available from most distributors who sell ROCKETPOXY.

Last edited:
Good points. My use of chopped CF is only to fulfill the requirements of the classic Wildman warranty, which hasn't been updated in a while, not because I believed the rocket would fail without them. They told me a long time ago over email that Rocketpoxy was an acceptable epoxy (only west, proline, and aeropoxy are approved in writing) but I didn't think to ask about not using chopped cf.

I did my fillets with black pigment to match the black fins, knowing that the red tube would be covered. :)

Thanks!

I dunno yet if I'll make it to the April launch, but if I do it'll just depend on whether the second TAP is available. No rush, we'll get it done in the next few months. :)

Wrapping up some finishing touches:

The giant box my v2 came in was handy for charge testing without any scuffs. Big box full of newspaper with a yoga mat catch pad worked out perfectly.

3fLVsbHm.jpg

t5boChNm.jpg

Well my digital scales no longer have the capacity to handle weighing these big rockets; by the people scale it came in at 42 pounds on the nose. The M1350W and adapters were a little over 10lbs, so 31lbs and change without a motor but otherwise pad ready. The weight of all stock parts and the chute was 25.3lbs. Drogue, sled/electronics/batteries, 60ish feet of 1/2" tubular kevlar, D rings, epoxy, paint, and vinyl wrap make up the difference.

Last edited:
The 1350 DMS motor. How do they do the thrust ring on that motor? Hope its more than glued on?? I would guess its part of the motor case?

The thrust ring is integral to the case from the factory. I don't know the exact method of connection (I've read machined, but that would mean they turned down a really thick composite tube so it's probably something else?) but what you get from the factory is basically a composite case with the thrust ring, nozzle, and liner all put together already. You throw a few propellant grains and some o-rings down in there, then stick the aluminum forward closure in the top with a couple of o-rings and pour down epoxy all around the forward closure. The inside of the case around the forward closure has grooves machined into it so the epoxy has something to form into.

I've read zero accounts of the M DMS failing and a few of it working perfectly (though one with small case burn throughs found post flight) so I'm not worried. Here's someone else's thread detailing assembly: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?70602-Aerotech-M1350W-DMS-Assembly

The orange ruler in my picture of the motor is a 24" ruler. It's pretty big for a single use!!

I think it is machined or turned down. I have not heard any problems with the 1350. I hope the rest of the DMS line goes to the same thrust ring method.

L3 flight complete, couldn't have been easier. Thanks to both the Jims and Gary of TTRA for their help during build, launch setup, and recovery. Big rockets with big wraps are crowd pleasers, I think every single person at the launch today said something to me about it. Thanks to Stickershock23 for that!

8Ava7YAl.jpg

Wv7iQXBl.jpg

kXSt8XBl.jpg

rnpujIql.jpg

JWwr0Uwl.jpg

pRTABNRl.jpg

Winds were pretty stout today, but we angled it pretty well. The M1350W DMS performed flawlessly, with a big flame and nice ~4 second burn up to just shy of 7k. I did everything prep-wise the same way I do on my 4" Wildman, so no deployment bag, just a burrito wrap, and everything came out great. The fincan touched down next to some trees and the payload/nc/chute drifted over the top of them so we had to tug a little to get it free but it all came down without issue.

Thanks all!

Recording flight details for future forum searchers:

4F black powder charge sizes used for the flight
Drogue 4.5g Pri 6.0g Backup
Main 4g Pri 5.5g Backup
I gave in to cowardice and oversized all of these by a gram. Other people's builds used up to 6g in both sides; I had successful separation as low as 3-3.5g in testing.

I'm glad I considered switch placement in relation to the rocket on the pad ahead of time. I put them on the left side of the rocket as it sits on the rail which was a lot easier to reach when climbing up that side of the tower.

All connections were made with JST plugs. When you have two altimeters and GPS the number of plugs quickly becomes unmanageable; I use a labelmaker to attach matching labels to each side of a connection so that they're easy to assemble without worry, then a wrap of gaffer tape around the connected plug for paranoia's sake.

Eggtimer LCD controller for launch arming/status has made me spoiled. I found it difficult to listen to my Raven's status beeps given the wind noise, but I thought about that ahead of time and made sure to turn it on first so I wouldn't be fighting the other altimeter's noises.

The TRS GPS tracking had several seconds of gap after apogee deployment, probably a weird combination of interference from the giant aluminum bulkheads or hardware caused by the tumbling of the deployment. Regained telemetry somewhere between 4-5000 feet under drogue, and caught it visually just in time to see the main deploy.

For a flat sheet parachute like the Top Flight 120" I used, I continue to find success in flaking the gores and arranging the lines to one side of the triangular folded shape. With everything dressed tightly, I z-fold the chute, z-fold the lines on top of it, then roll the sides of the folded chute inward to form my burrito. This is a real pain in the ass with a ten foot chute, I don't have anywhere indoors that's big and flat enough to do it so I had to do it outside which sucks. The guy helping Jim and I pick up the rocket after we yanked it from the trees almost got pulled over when he grabbed the lines and the chute inflated!

Nice build and congrats on the flight. I found this thread very useful, I am building the exact same rocket using the exact same motor for my L3. Those powder charges do seem a little energetic compared to what I have planned but I am not to the ground test stage yet and more is definitely better than less.

Not being able to hear beeps is one of the reasons eGGtimer designed the WiFi switch and Quantum. .

I have started using JST SM 'waterproof' connectors for all but my batts which use the standard JST.

I use 4 pole JST SM for Altimeter connections and the 2 pole JST SM for switch connection . They give a positive lock when connected.

I use a set of each 4p on each lid and a set of 2p on each switch...with plugs reversed on each other lid and switch ...so i dont have to label anything..they all only plug in one way.

You do have to make sure your aft designated lid is 'aft' and your forward lid is 'forward '.. i use Waycos way of using nylon lock nuts on the aft all thread retention and wing nuts on the forward lid.

Kenny

Nice build and congrats on the flight. I found this thread very useful, I am building the exact same rocket using the exact same motor for my L3. Those powder charges do seem a little energetic compared to what I have planned but I am not to the ground test stage yet and more is definitely better than less.

My first step in everything was to research what everyone else did, and lots of people were using 6G ejection charges which is super excessive. Here are some notes on charges, starting with other user's build threads:

Some of those were on 60" payload versions so the main ejection charge would be about double sized.

Shear pins: #4-40 = 115 pounds +- 7.6 pounds, +/- 3 sigma = 92 TO 138 pounds –BobKrech
REMEMBER: the purpose of shear pins is to retain the parts of the rocket under deceleration forces until the ejection charges go off. How much force is being exerted by deceleration on each part of the rocket?
Burnout decal simulates to about -2.7Gs. Burnout mass of NC+BULK+CHUTE = 1497g plus the recovery stuff plus trackers inside the cone plus paint figure 1750g max times 3G max = 5250g or 11.5lbs of decel force. So minimum 92lbs of retention force means 8-9 times safety factor. Other people use mass of the entire rocket or max acceleration as the retention G load assuming the rocket instantly stopped under burn. Realistically the portion of the rocket aft of the (main) shear pins is experiencing about 2/3 of the total burnout drag.

Last edited:
Back