U.F.T.Y.E.S. upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apburner

APBurner
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone has been following along in the U.F.T.Y.E.S. thread but I have been sorta kinda maybe building a distant cousin upscale of that rocket I loved the idea so I discuses it with Gary. He gave me his information on the design ( Thanks Gary ) and off I went. From the outset I was not going to make it exact. But the flavor is there. Still haven't painted it. But here is it in all it's naked glory.
Dscn0125 postable.jpg

Well I found out something about sona tube. Apparently it is coated on the outside with an epoxy impervious layer. The rocket was being painted and fell from only 1 foot and all 8 fins popped off. So I guess tube peeling is in order.

Ouch. Looked good for a while! I'd bet it will be back better than it started.

LOL. Maybe Tip To Tip glass is in order. I'd rather take some time and get it right.

I'm almost certain you should be able to remove the surface where the fins go to get epoxy to adhere. If it's epoxy resistant, how well does it handle paint?

The outside seemed to take the paint well. It did not peel off with the fins. But that being said. These tubes are designed to not stick to concrete. So I suspect they have an outer waxy coating that is the problem. I will peel it tomorrow and test. But can't do much got to get ready for Saturdays monthly launch here in Kentucky.

Last edited:
I peeled the outside paper off and as I did the paint on the outside just powered and popped off. No sticking at all.
So not only does the inside of the sona tube need peeling but so does the outside.

Oh man! That means your inner fins might end up being too short, unless you install some kind of suitable liner to replace what you remove.

No. I knew that the inside needed peeling. It's a concrete tube so concrete can't stick. So I peeled it before assembly

That would be my dyslexia messing with me again. I thought it read. "so not only does the outside need pealing, so does the inside"

sigh.....prolly a really good thing that I'm not an employed numbers cruncher.

Back