Tripoli Vegas Springfest 2015 what are you bringing?? 7.5x upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well by now We have usually heard about a date for this launch..

Anyone heard anything.. We have a BIG project going and would like to set a date!

Our project is an Interesting one this year.. We are building it in 3 different locations.

Team elemental..

I am in southern Utah and will be building the fincan and motor mount.

the other 2/3rds of our team is in central California half of them will be building the middle sections with the electronics and the other half will be building the payload section or the top third..

Our plan is to meet on the lakebed the night before the launch and start the final assembly..

Ok what are we building??

a 7.5x upscale of the Estes Photon Disruptor! set to fly on a home brewed 4 grain 98 mm M motor!

Woo hoo hope to see you there!

photon-disruptor-3.gif

EDIT: just looked at Tripoli Vegas' website and it looks to be set for March 20 21 and 22 See you there
https://www.tripolivegas.com/

Click the launches link on the left!

How did I miss this thread? Nice project Mark!

Just ordered an M1780T for a second L3 attempt in "Jihad This" (Wildman DSE), and an L1000W for my Competitor 3. Hope for no to little wind!

Good luck.

Mark,

What happened to the first attempt?

Good luck.

Mark,

What happened to the first attempt?

Nothing but pure operator error! TAP Roy told me after the fact that it is actually good to connect the main with the rocket. Who knew?!

Luckily, no damage--landed motor first, on the drogue in a sand dune like spot. And, next time, all the Good Advice Fairies that compelled me before the first attempt to take the rocket apart a few times to 'check' things go stay right the heck away. I've got a checklist and used it the first time, but not each time I 'verified' a particular bit after someone told me their L3 failure story. Lesson learned.

I just got one step closer to being able to make it. It's actually looking pretty good (for once). This may be my only chance to fly at a club/event launch until probably November, so I really want to make it happen.

I won't be bringing anything unusual - just a few J/K/L "normal" rockets flying between 4,000' and 12,000'. If all goes well, I should also have my night rocket back from the grave and ready to fly again.

Which brings the question - who is planning to camp on the lakebed, and who is crashing in a hotel? I'd most likely camp myself, but that might depend on how many other folks are staying out there, and what the nighttime "scene" is looking like.

Also - Alex (aksrockets), you coming or not?

fingers double-crossed,
s6

Also - Alex (aksrockets), you coming or not?

fingers double-crossed,
s6
Boy do I hope so! The stars aligned and I don't have school that Friday, so I'm considering driving down with a friend Thursday, then camping out until Sunday. There's about a 65% chance I'll be there.
Not sure if I'll bring anything to fly. I might have some 54mm EX motors to burn or a 38 EX flying case, nothing too serious.
I'll mostly just be there to hang out and shoot video, so if you guys want someone to help you prep, recover, or get an extra nice video, let me know! I'll mostly be sitting around so I'll be glad for something to do.

Alex

Boy do I hope so! The stars aligned and I don't have school that Friday, so I'm considering driving down with a friend Thursday, then camping out until Sunday. There's about a 65% chance I'll be there.
Not sure if I'll bring anything to fly. I might have some 54mm EX motors to burn or a 38 EX flying case, nothing too serious.
I'll mostly just be there to hang out and shoot video, so if you guys want someone to help you prep, recover, or get an extra nice video, let me know! I'll mostly be sitting around so I'll be glad for something to do.

Alex

Cool Alex ,

Hope to see you there !

Kenny

There will be a raffle, exact details to be determined, and here are the prizes at this time (expecting/hoping for more):

Aerotech - Astrobee-D rocket kit (nice!)
Always Ready Rocketry - TBD
Balsa Machining (will attend) - two Aerotech I357T EZ reloads w/reload adapter ring & delay tool
Madcow Rocketry - one 2.6" Discovery kit w/chute protector, one 4" Squat w/chute & protector, and one 30" shock cord protector (wow!)
Missile Works - RRC2+ altimeter
OneBadHawk - two recovery harnesses
Spherachutes - one 18" chute, one 36" chute

Stickershock23 - two $40.00 gift certificates

Wildman Rocketry - $50 gift certificate

Thank You to all the vendors supporting the launch with raffle prizes!

And, yesterday's launch weather was darn near picture perfect--cannot beat southern NV in the "winter".

There will be a raffle, exact details to be determined, and here are the prizes at this time (expecting/hoping for more):

Aerotech - Astrobee-D rocket kit (nice!)
Always Ready Rocketry - TBD
Balsa Machining (will attend) - two Aerotech I357T EZ reloads w/reload adapter ring & delay tool
Madcow Rocketry - one 2.6" Discovery kit w/chute protector, one 4" Squat w/chute & protector, and one 30" shock cord protector (wow!)
Missile Works - RRC2+ altimeter
OneBadHawk - two recovery harnesses
Spherachutes - one 18" chute, one 36" chute

Stickershock23 - two $40.00 gift certificates

Wildman Rocketry - $50 gift certificate

Thank You to all the vendors supporting the launch with raffle prizes!

And, yesterday's launch weather was darn near picture perfect--cannot beat southern NV in the "winter".

Aw geez, is that all? Hardly worth even showing up for such slim pickings.

Wait, scratch that.....

What I really meant to say was - Great googly moogly, that's quite the haul! Pretty dang impressive bunch of swag there. VERY cool for all the vendors to be so generous - THANK YOU to them! One more element turning this into what should be a great launch to fly at. Hope to be there,
s6

This is Jim Waters member of Tripoli Vegas. SpringFest is on. We are not able to get our 17,000 ft. MSL call in windows because of the runway work in process mentioned below. Last Sat. 2-21 we got 10,000 MSL, 7200 ft AGL, for the first time, all day but did not try to get a call in window of 12,800 MSL 10,000 AGL The only thing I know for sure is you don't know what your going to get till you call in to start your launch at the "Las Vegas Terminal Radar Approach Control" There are not many happy people in there.

See you at SpringFest 2015

Jim

Las Vegas' McCarran International Airport has started work on a $67 million construction project that will convert the airport's longest runway from asphalt to concrete, a more durable material.

The project will force the airport to close the 14,505-foot east-west Runway 25R/7L for two 6-month blocks during the next two years. The runway, which closed Wednesday, will remain out of operation until May 2015. It will close again on Oct. 28, 2015, for a second phase of construction before reopening again on May 1, 2016. The runway is the last of the four at the airport that is not yet concrete.

This is Jim Waters member of Tripoli Vegas. SpringFest is on. We are not able to get our 17,000 ft. MSL call in windows because of the runway work in process mentioned below. Last Sat. 2-21 we got 10,000 MSL, 7200 ft AGL, for the first time, all day but did not try to get a call in window of 12,800 MSL 10,000 AGL The only thing I know for sure is you don't know what your going to get till you call in to start your launch at the "Las Vegas Terminal Radar Approach Control" There are not many happy people in there.

Well that changes things quite a bit.

Since I rarely get to attend club/event launches (once or twice a year), I was really hoping to use this opportunity to fly big/high. When I fly on my own, I can fly L1 motors/rockets to about 6000' or so all the time. But it's not practical for me to fly bigger motors or higher altitudes most of the time. And so, my plan was to fly mostly L2 motors/rockets and go for higher altitudes at this launch while I had the chance. I was planning on almost exclusively flying J/K/L motors to between 8000' and 15,000' for this event. In fact I only had one (or maybe two) flights planned that would be under 7000'.

Hmmmmmm. time to re-plan I suppose. I've got plenty of smaller rockets/motors to fly.

Still sounds like a great launch to attend, I and still am trying really hard to be able to make it there. But I'm disappointed that all my bigger motors and rockets will now likely sit idle until probably November (which is the next most likely chance for me to get to a club/event launch). Ah well, that's the nature of sport rocketry I suppose (at least in my circumstances).

Hope to still see you all there,
s6

Jim,
Thanks for the Head's Up on the waiver. Oh boy, are we Westerner's really spoiled. 10 K is huge for most flyers. Looking forward to punching holes in the sky!

To be sure, "we" are a bit spoiled. And 10K IS huge (and rare) for me! - which is why I was looking forward to being able to fly that high (and higher) at this launch.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, our effective waiver will be 7800', with no call ins for higher windows, yes?

Still lots of sky to have a blast in no doubt. I just had a bunch of bigger rockets/motors that THIS was my opportunity to fly'em at. Ah well, there'll be other opportunities someday, but for me probably not for many months at least. Heck, it's still not even sure I can even make it to THIS launch. But still wanting to come, still wanting to fly at Springfest, and I still think it's going to be great.

peace and rockets,
s6

I just don't know what we can get. We almost always get 5000' AGL, last launch we got 7200' AGL. Our plan for SpringFest is to request widows to 10,000' AGL, 12,800' MSL. When I try to go higher than that, they have a fit, saying they can't do it with the runway down.
Jim

Is that because with the runway down, they direct the planes on a path that is over the launch area?

Last edited:
You would never know it watching at the launch site for airplanes. I have no idea what the problem is, If there is an airplane pilot reading this you can add your thoughts anytime now. I had one tell me once that all the slow air traffic controllers are sent to Las Vegas because the weather is better than most other city's. Also remember their number one concern is Safety.
Jim

One airliner path goes *near* Jean, but visually appears to be 10+ miles away. Having talked to TRACON myself for waiver approval, there is an ignorance of the waiver/altitudes already granted, let alone call-in windows. Once pointed out, they were mostly helpful. I do not think this is a big problem, just something to be aware of and manage as much ahead of time as possible.

Does anyone know if there will be any TAP members at Springfest this year? I'm hoping to do my L3 at Springfest if I could just find a TAP member to witness.

Does anyone know if there will be any TAP members at Springfest this year? I'm hoping to do my L3 at Springfest if I could just find a TAP member to witness.

Talk to Roy P. He's planning to witness my L3 attempt.

Jim,
Thanks for the Head's Up on the waiver. Oh boy, are we Westerner's really spoiled. 10 K is huge for most flyers. Looking forward to punching holes in the sky!

Joe I never heard back..

are going to be bringing at least some reloads for sale?? or pre orders only??

My partner in this project also asked if there would be e-matches by the box available.. so if you can bring a box or two out.. I am sure at least ONE will sell

thanks so much joe.. anything I can do to help the new "endevor" just ask!

So the BALLS project was scrubbed for weather, that means I got a bunch of 54mm EX grains just waiting to burn. Anybody want to supply a rocket for a motor? I can do anything from single grain H115 to a 6 grain K750. Basic EX rules apply-no warrantees, you need to have electronics and be an L2.
PM if interested.

Two more pieces just fell into place - my possible attendance is looking better and better. As it stands AT THIS MOMENT (though some factors may change), I'm "go for launch". Yes!

I've been reworking my plans for which rockets/motors to bring and fly so that I can stay under 7200'. And, while disappointed not to be flying "bigger and higher", I've still got plenty enough options for some sweet/fun flights. I'll still bring a couple bigger motors/rockets for flights to 10-12'K just in case we get lucky and have the opportunity. Either way, it's going to be great.

getting anxious,
s6

Last edited:
You would never know it watching at the launch site for airplanes. I have no idea what the problem is, If there is an airplane pilot reading this you can add your thoughts anytime now. I had one tell me once that all the slow air traffic controllers are sent to Las Vegas because the weather is better than most other city's. Also remember their number one concern is Safety.
Jim

I'm not real sure what the deal is, as every time I've flown in to Las Vegas we landed going south, or going west. But if they are landing to the North one of the primary fixes is about 3 miles North West of the launch site at 7000 feet above sea level.

Then again I'm sure that lots of planes are coming from the Los Angels area and that would put them in our area.

Here are some links to see where it's all at.
Interactive "Flight plan" with the final 18 miles and a dogleg to the launch site.

https://skyvector.com/?ll=35.87241530247349,-115.26519012052311&chart=301&zoom=1&plan=A.K2.KLAS:F.K2.OGKIJ:F.K2.KRUDY:G.35.79336637718297,-115.25983428556181

Here is the chart a pilot can use to fly the last 20 miles to the Las Vegas runway 1 Left.

https://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1502/00662ILD1L.PDF

Thanks for the info. The maps are very interesting. Thanks again for taking the time to looking that up.
Jim Waters, Vegas Tripoli

Back