Tripoli BOD Election Results

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkABrown

Reaction score
3 positions were up for election. The winners were:

Dick Embry (incumbent)
Ken Good (incumbent)
Terry McCreary

President - Dick Embry

Bruce Kelly will not be returning.

I hope this means the quantity and quality of the HPR Mag will improve :)

I also see that next year's LDRS is going to be in Swimmer's back yard. ;)

They chose Argonia, KS for LDRS 2003.

2004 is open. 2005 is in Canada.

Originally posted by gothique_97
Where in Canada? Sullivan Lake, AB?
All I know is Canada. I'm kinda hoping that it is near Toronto. :D That's not too far from my hometown in NW Pennsylvania.

That's interesting. Argonia is a little too far unless I can take an entire week off but the Toronto area is fairly close to my home base in NE Ohio.

OBTW Mark where is you hometown? I fly with the Erie rocket club out in Wattsburg.

Ken

This is the first I've heard that Argonia KS has been chosen officially for LDRS 2003. Argonia is about an hours drive from my home. I spoke to one of the KloudBuster officers and volunteered to help in any capacity. I want to take advantage of the opportunity. Now listen. You all have a year to plan. It would really be neat to meet together with a bunch of you guys.

Swimmer

Originally posted by kgholloway
OBTW Mark where is you hometown? I fly with the Erie rocket club out in Wattsburg.

Ken
My hometown is a little town called St. Marys. It's probably about 2.5 hours from Erie mainly east/southeast. My brother went to Penn State - Berend Campus for about 2 years.

Originally posted by Swimmer
Now listen. You all have a year to plan. It would really be neat to meet together with a bunch of you guys.

Swimmer
How close is Argonia to St. Louis and in which direction?

Didn't Swimmer also put something in the chatroom about how everyone's welcome to stay with him while we're down there? :D

Argonia is a very small town south and west of Wichita KS. The launch site is 6 miles south and 1 mile east of Argonia.

KermieD, you are so funny!!

Chuck Meis, President of KloudBusters, has announced on that other forum that things such as landowner pemission will have to be worked out before LDRS 22 is an official event at Argonia KS. One thing I don't want to see happen is tick off the landowner where we fly and lose the flying area altogether. The KloudBuster organization is top notch and if the details are worked out you can bet that LDRS 22 will be a great event.

Swimmer

Originally posted by rstaff3
I hope this means the quantity and quality of the HPR Mag will improve :)

It looks like the new BOD has 'struck a deal' with Bruce Kelly regarding the mag. They will prepare an agreement under which the mag will be published on a regular timetable or they will consider severing the relationship. I guess there won't be 9 issues this year, but I think there are supposed to be 4 issues between now and the end of the year.

Originally posted by Swimmer
This is the first I've heard that Argonia KS has been chosen officially for LDRS 2003. Argonia is about an hours drive from my home. I spoke to one of the KloudBuster officers and volunteered to help in any capacity. I want to take advantage of the opportunity. Now listen. You all have a year to plan. It would really be neat to meet together with a bunch of you guys.

Swimmer

I went to two LDRS events in Argonia -- 93 and 94. It was nice to get out of the dry climate in Colorado, and go to Argonia, where the humidity brought such a nice, rich, moist glow back to my skin.

:D

The KloudBusters guys did a full scale PAtriot at the 93 event. My first witnessing of an Aerotech M1939. Oh, yeah! By the next year, we didn't look up to see a launch unless it was a K or bigger. By day 2, Ls and bigger!

I fondly remember the events and trip, despite the heat. I also remember the lady from the local newspaper asking me about my big black and purple rocket, lettered in gold pen "The Argonian Destroyer". I'm not sure I had a good answer for her about the name. She just kept saying "Uh-huh, uh-huh" while slowly walking backwards to put some distance between us. I think it kinda had her worried ...

;)

Lee, plan on coming back to Argonia. We'll try to have just as much heat and humidity as the last time. Unlike Colorado, you won't have to worry about trees, mountains, or things like that. Just the wide open spaces.

Swimmer

Good point Swimmer...Lee...those mountains really mess with a rocket that's weathercocking. Time to move. :D

Originally posted by rstaff3

It looks like the new BOD has 'struck a deal' with Bruce Kelly regarding the mag. They will prepare an agreement under which the mag will be published on a regular timetable or they will consider severing the relationship. I guess there won't be 9 issues this year, but I think there are supposed to be 4 issues between now and the end of the year.

I'm confused. I'm not a Tripoli member, nor do I subscribe to the magazine...is Bruce Kelly the publisher as well as the president?

Originally posted by KermieD

I'm confused. I'm not a Tripoli member, nor do I subscribe to the magazine...is Bruce Kelly the publisher as well as the president?
Bruce is the editor/owner of HPR magazine. He WAS the president of Tripoli also.

Ohhhhh...a lot of this is coming into focus now. Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by KermieD
Good point Swimmer...Lee...those mountains really mess with a rocket that's weathercocking. Time to move. :D

We actually did fly in the mountains in the late 90s! The FAA was nervous about us flying in eastern plains, since DIA had just opened. We were in a valley up near Walden (and not far from Rocky Mountain National Park -- at least as the crow flies). You could be 10 feet from your rocket, and it would be hidden in the scrub brush. A very scenic launch site, just not too practical. :)

We finally got permission to fly on the Pawnee National Grasslands. Then with the drought, we got shut down. The Grasslands got 3" of rain last week, so the Forest Service said our group could fly. Unfortunately, I had made other plans, figuring no flying at all this Summer. With the temperature back in the high 90s, and the typical constant wind (even if mild), I'm sure the Grasslands are bone dry and on fire restriction again -- maybe no flying until the first snow.

Argonia is starting to sound really good ...

Back