Tres mount, code-named Mallard

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geof

Reaction score
Here's a couple build photos of my next scratch build: a rocket that uses the Tres motor mount. My working name for the rocket is "The Mallard" but I'll probably change that before finishing. What you're looking at is the aft portion of the rocket.

The cone tail arrangement is partially inspired by Roadkill's various shark rockets, which I've always admired.

Geof

mallardaft1_web.jpg

mallardaft2_web.jpg

That's so cool! Did you get the mount from a Tres kit, or did you make it?

Looks like a way cool modification of our classic canted motor mount!

Keep us posted on the build and flight testing too.

jim

Looks cool Geof!:cool:

Hope that tail cone doesn't get too fried..Would a coat of CA help protect it?

I have flown my 'kitbash' of the "Deuce" with a "Big Bertha" style PNC-60 tailcone with No damage at all.

Geof, your Tailcone Is a little longer, but with the angle of the engine(s) mount, you should be fine. Sue (Roadkill) may be able to give her report on any 'tail damage'.

Good luck with the test flights! Let us know how the Mallard does.

I have seen at least 2 different designs using our Tres engine mount kit that featured a tail cone and *one* (of which I am in possession of, thanks to John Harland) of a Tres kit built with the engine mount at the TOP of the BT-60

In each case there was no noticeable damage to the tail cone or tube after multiple flights.

Also, a very kewl look during boost :)

Here's where I started with the Mallard's neck. The bt20 is double-walled.

neck_web.jpg

Getting a good edge where the fins join took a lot of sanding and filling, but I'm finally satisfied. Here's the final version of the tail, with primer.

mallardtail_web.jpg

Mostly done. Need to tie the shock cord to the nose, and of course I forgot the launch lug!

DSCN3448_web.jpg

DSCN3451_web.jpg

That's such a cool design! Its flight should be sweet (so should the smoketrail!).

Geof, you got so many projects - and they are all great looking! :)

Oh now that is simply beautiful! Very creative and a wonderful color too!

Please, oh PLEASE post flight pictures! :)

jim

Wow, that really came together. Good luck for a successful flight.

Um anyone thinking what i'm thinking???? THAT NEEDS AN UPSCALE!!! OH yeah and a kit!

Um anyone thinking what i'm thinking???? THAT NEEDS AN UPSCALE!!! OH yeah and a kit!

Sure. Start by convincing Jim to release a 24mm tres motor mount (and the 18mm to go with it)!

She's looking so pretty, I couldn't bring myself to put the lug on and finish her off today. Launch day is next Sat.

Geof

That is a WILD looking rocket! :surprised: I love it!

Since each is deeply recessed in a fin, is it hard to get motors into (and out of) the mounts?

Had two great flights today on 3 x C6-5. Here is a launch photo. Some of you have mentioned this already...if this rocket were kitted, would anyone be interested in buying one?

I've tentatively named it "Trion".

Geof

trionlaunch_web.jpg

triongrass2_web.jpg

holdingtrion_web.jpg

I would buy one too. BTW, great launch picture!

$20 - must buy for me
$30 - maybe goes on my xmas list
$40 - no

BTW: Until i saw this rocket, i had no interest in buying any more kits. Awesome design.

$20 - must buy for me
$30 - maybe goes on my xmas list
$40 - no

BTW: Until i saw this rocket, i had no interest in buying any more kits. Awesome design.

I agree with your pricing chart. The most I'd pay for this rocket would be $35.

Latest posts

Back