Total eclipse coming, 8 April 2024!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called the National Warplane Museum in Geneseo, NY (the MARS launch site) last weekend to see if they were planning anything. They told me that they had just started talking about it. I decided to make other arrangements, but if they do plan something, I might opt to go there, and hopefully, they will let me camp on their grounds (hotels are nearly impossible to find now).

I just rented a cottage via AirBnB on an island near Gananoque, Canada. Thus far, it's only me and my telescope that will be there, but I may invite some friends to come along. Feel free to message me If any of you rocket-folks want to join.
Wouldn't it be better if they don't plan anything? If you can go there and have no crowd around?

On launch weekends, there are always a few people camping over, so I doubt that will be a problem on the 8th.
1709731020673.png

I live on the edge of totality but I'm considering driving 50 miles away to have more time in totality. I've already got the glasses and camera filter. I need to test the camera filter in the next few days. I was thinking even a Home Depot parking lot would be good for viewing the eclipse but I wonder if the lights would come on during totality. If I drive 50 miles out it would be mostly farmland, probably easy enough to find a place to park off of the road.

I live on the edge of totality but I'm considering driving 50 miles away to have more time in totality. I've already got the glasses and camera filter. I need to test the camera filter in the next few days. I was thinking even a Home Depot parking lot would be good for viewing the eclipse but I wonder if the lights would come on during totality. If I drive 50 miles out it would be mostly farmland, probably easy enough to find a place to park off of the road.
it'll be worth the drive to get 3+ minutes instead of just 1 minute... if you don't get stuck in traffic!

i doubt streetlights will turn on, it's not that dark.

You made me go outside and try the filter we just got from B&H for our Lumix. Not so many sunspots today, but I did manage to get a couple of "OK" images. Will need to practice more before we leave next week.

I'm travelling many hours to south/central Texas (from southern Colorado), 10-12 hours driving in "normal" conditions.
And the weather is looking like it's going to be..................................................absolute crap, just awful.
Forecast for the last week or so, and getting worse every day, is for the entire state to be under thick cloud cover.
Yuck.

I'm still going for it, no change in plans.
Just going to take my chances (and brace for it to be a complete fail).

In practical terms there's no real way to doing anything but go for it and cross my fingers, or give up trying altogether.
Travelling further is not going to work...it's already "too far" as it is.
If I do try to watch the weather precisely and attempt to chase any holes in the sky, the traffic will likely make that pretty much impossible to do.
Ain't no way I'm going to find any other camping/hotel/etc. accommodations this late in the game, and even if I do they'd be way, WAY out of my price range. (Hobie1dog is correct...I've checked and anything at all that even might be available, even places to just pitch a tent, are going for that much $$ and more).

Wish me luck.....I'm very much going to need it.
s6

We're all in the same boat. At a minimum we should see a cloudy day turn just about nighttime for a few minutes, but I'm hoping we all get a break in the clouds at the right time.

Ain't no way I'm going to find any other camping/hotel/etc. accommodations this late in the game, and even if I do they'd be way, WAY out of my price range. (Hobie1dog is correct...I've checked and anything at all that even might be available, even places to just pitch a tent, are going for that much $$ and more

so what are you going to do?

Several users are going to miss it because of clouds. We had club members going to Texas, but the weather took over.

so what are you going to do?
Scrambling at the moment.

For right now, I'm planning on just going for it, no change in plans.
But seeing what my options might be.

There does look like a small window of possibly cloudless area in the bottom/east corner of Oklahoma....adding about 2 hours of driving for me, which is technically doable (14+ hours each way, as opposed to 12+). I'm scouring the internet to see if there are any camping/hotel possibilities in the area. There are some, but most are starting at about $350 and going up from there. I have found two that are cheaper (one by quite a bit) and I'm investigating further to see if they are actually available (and at the stated price). This is all of course assuming that the cloud cover forecasts are anywhere near what the reality is going to be on the day....but there's no way to actually know that until it happens. By which time it will be too late to change. So all I can do is trust in those forecasts and perhaps lessen my chances of the whole thing being a bust. Still looks like a crap shoot at best.

Either way, I start driving east/south tomorrow morning.
I'm bringing (as I always do) my fishing gear, so the worst case scenario is I drive a LONG way to a fish some stream or two I find along the way.

I'm still going to need all the luck I can get.

s6

Last edited:
spincast or fly fishing ? what is your favorite type of fish to catch?
I fish tenkara......call it fly fishing as it's the closest thing.
I'm very much a trout guy.
Smaller rivers and mountain streams is where I prefer to be (whatever's happening, or not, in the sky above me.).

s6

Yep, that's the area I'm targeting right now.
One might even say you're angling for it. ;)

Best of luck getting to some clear sky, and best of luck with the fishing too.

For various reasons, I won't be making it out of DFW, so all I can do is ignore the forecasts that I can't do anything about anyway and just see what comes on Monday.

We’re staying home and watching from the porch. I’ve seen estimates between 100-200k people coming to VT for the eclipse. Not sure how many will actually show, but I’m pretty sure traffic is going to be insane. Clear skies forecasted here for now though, so hopefully that holds up and we get a good view of it.

We’re staying home and watching from the porch. I’ve seen estimates between 100-200k people coming to VT for the eclipse. Not sure how many will actually show, but I’m pretty sure traffic is going to be insane. Clear skies forecasted here for now though, so hopefully that holds up and we get a good view of it.
You are supposed to have great weather...clear skies.

My brother & family will be among those travelling up your way (from Connecticut)....he will be staying with my cousin who lives in Burlington, and or other family in St Albans, Enosburg, Swanton, or Richford (my ancestral home).

And yes, be grateful and do NOT leave your home....the traffic will be amongst the worst you've ever witnessed in your entire life.

s6

We have a good chance of clear skies. My neighborhood is a few miles north of the edge of totality, but I have to work. The airfield I'll be at is about 30 miles North which I hope is still a decent show assuming we aren't flying during it.

There sure are a lot of dire warnings on You Tube. Kind of like Y2K.
When Y2K finally "hit", of course the vast majority of all the doomsday warnings just fizzled.

Based on the traffic during the 2017 eclipse....which I "experienced" in a relatively open, sparsely populated region on both big highways and smaller roads....I bet the predictions are going to actually miss the mark of how crazy it's going to be next week. It was unbelievable.

s6

This thread got revived. Cool. Last eclipse went right over my backyard.
This time I'll be in Arkansas camping with some relatives.
Pic is me during 2017 eclipse. Hope the weather is just as good here and now as it was then.
IMG_20170821_103302.jpg

Back