TLP AIM-7F Sparrow Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in the process of papering the fins still. Got one done and then put the project on the shelf for the last month or so. I had other projects to get ready for our first club launch, namely a Wildman V2.

I am building a Rocketarium Daedalus now, but having issues, so I haven't posted in that thread in a week or 2 either. I will try to get updates posted soon. This guy is almost done.

Well, there wasn't a whole lot left to show. Should have done this ages ago=P

I finished papering the fins and it was ready to paint. Waited for a good weather day and got a few coats of a silver-ish gray Krylon that was on ridiculous sale. Came out better than anticipated.

The Orafol vinyl decals were a pleasure to work with. I only used the 4 stripes and the brown bands with the lettering. Wasn't sure where the rest went =P

Lastly, I added some yellow vinyl tape and sharpie'd the forward fin gussets to give the effect of them being able to pivot. A few vent holes and rail buttons later and voila:

IMG_20160611_201456.jpg

It flew this weekend on an Aerotech G-40 single use. I will have a take-off photo once our club president / resident photographer gets them on the website.

Happy Monday!

BC

Reviving this thread from page 3 one more time with the promised takeoff photo on the G40 SU.

It looked great on liftoff, but gave one good spiral after a few hundred feet or so. It was recovered, but two of the lower fins had partially separated from the tail cone, presumably due to landing impact.

After a quick repair, it flew again at OROC's "Summer Skies" launch last weekend on a G64 reload. Less spiraling, but did not go straight up, making sort of an erratic looking turn (again around 200' altitude) down to about +70° pitch traveling away from the wind. Recovery was fine.

I don't know if the stability margin isn't as good as the sim says, or if the wings are just too out of alignment to allow for a straight flight, but either way, I think I'm going to hang it up. I'd rather not cause damage to someone or something, and its kinda pretty, so I'd prefer it not end up a pile of saw dust on the desert floor.

If anyone reads this build, I would recommend my 29mm upgrade in terms of components and materials. I would go on to recommend you take more care cutting fin slots (if applicable) and aligning the fins than I did, especially the forward wings.

Silverton-5.jpg
Photo: Gary Goncher

Fly safe,

BC

Last edited:
I've seen both of his flights, it's very odd, very straight to about 200 feet then it angles off sharply. Normally as the speed goes up and motor burns you would think it would get more stable. It's not a wind thing either. I'm wondering if the large mid fin paper humps are causing some perturbation of airflow around the lower fins at higher speed...that's the only thing I can think of.

Latest posts

Back