Tiny Pterodactyl?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richalex2010

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a PML Tiny Pterodactyl, mainly for it's ability to fly on F and G motors. Is this a good idea, considering that this is my first HPR-capable rocket? Or should I go for something else? It's also a good bit under $70, which is my limit, so I can get a motor to fly it on, as well ;) Thanks, beforehand :)

PS (and EDIT): Is it safe to fly on E motors? Thanks, again.

E motors - probably not. H motors - bring binoculars. Overall, it is a good choice, able to take F through small H motors. You do have the RMS 29 40-120 case, right? That will come in handy while flying this rocket.

That's my next RMS purchase... I've already got the 24/40 one, though. The local Hobbytown USA (just opened, had the grand opening last weekend) has them, so it'll be easier to get. Thanks!

If you can stretch your budget, consider the Mini-BBX

Build it stock and fly it with F - H motors

or
  • Add the CPR3K for some real screamers on the Big 29mm H and even the Ellis I69
  • Add the Terrier booster for a great introduction to HPR staging

It's a great L1 certification rocket

It's also a reasonably easy to make real close to scale.

Another couple you might want to consider are the
  • LOC Weasel29
  • LOC Legacy

my son flies his Ptiny Pterodactyl on F40-4, F52-6, G64-7. it's built stock and it's incredibly sturdy, but heavy. definitely won't go on any E motor or anything lower thrust than the F40. it would require nose weight for an H motor.

Paul Brooks flew his Tiny Pterodactly at UKRA 2004 on a Pro38 J360 - hit about 9700ft, I got a photo, the flame's longer than the rocket :) He'd also flown it at the same event on an I240 to just over 8000ft

Needless to say it wasn't built stock! IIRC the paintjob alone cost £80

That's not a tiny pterodactyl anymore - it's too long.

My son won one at a launch dinner raffle a couple of years ago. We've made numerous flights on it with F20-4 econojets. Great flights every time. If you fly over hard ground, I'd use a bigger chute. The rocket can handle hard landings, but the paint won't. Ours is built stock, except for two part foam in the fin can, T nuts for retention, and rail buttons instead of lugs.

Thanks, again. Where did you get the 2 part foam?

Also, does anyone have (or could you make it?) a Rocksim (one that I can open with the demo version 5) file of it?

astrowolf; If you'd gotten it from a vendor directly (or just from PML), you can get a 'chute upgrade for hard surface landings (from 18" to 24").
I fly in Va, in a grassy field (locally) or in a soybean and corn farm (I hate walking through the soybeans in Fall, because they tear up your legs... :eek: ), so I fly on plenty soft ground.
I may get an upgrade from Neil, though, since we may need to change our launch site soon (Hanover County doesn't like us flying there, although they let us--as soon as they get a complaint, we'll be kicked out)

Originally posted by richalex2010
Can you fly it on F24 RMS motors (for the 24/40 casing)?

Although PML doesn't list any 24mm motors on its Motor recommendation chart, it does list the 29mm F22, F40, & F52 as viable motors for the Tiny Ptero. A full F motor (80Ns), is a full F regardless of the diameter of the casing... You'd just need a 29-24mm motor adapter!

If forgot to mention that if you're going to use an F motor, make sure that it has an average thrust of 22Ns since the F22 is the minimum recommended motor!

HTH,

Check the review, and flight logs on www.rocketreviews.com. There are flight logs with motors as small as the 24mm E28's. I would think the F24's would be a great little motor for the rocket.

I got my 2 part foam from a local hobby shop. It's NHP brand, but is the same as the PML, or Giant Leap. The foam is a bit of overkill, as long as the bond of the fin tabs to the motor mount is good. If I've got some foam laying around, chances are, I'll use it even if it's not needed :D

Originally posted by lalligood
Although PML doesn't list any 24mm motors on its Motor recommendation chart, it does list the 29mm F22, F40, & F52 as viable motors for the Tiny Ptero. A full F motor (80Ns), is a full F regardless of the diameter of the casing... You'd just need a 29-24mm motor adapter!

If forgot to mention that if you're going to use an F motor, make sure that it has an average thrust of 22Ns since the F22 is the minimum recommended motor!

HTH,

Although the F24 is NOT full - it is only 55n/s. It would work, but wouln't give it as much altitude (1000-1200 feet compared to 1600 feet on a full F)

My dad is getting an AT Initiator, which I think comes with a 29-24mm adaptor, but I will get a LOC one just to be safe. Do these come with motor retention? Or do I need to get that seperatley*? Thnks for the feedback

-Jake

*Yes, I do know that is spelled incorrectly. Tha's oky, thogh. I'm a rkocit sicnteist. ;)

F24 is a small F, it's only 48 Ns. I doubt Tiny Pterodactyl would get much over 600' with one. rocksim says barely 11 meters per second - about 25 MPH - off the rod. not enough to be flying, really. so yeah, try it, not in any wind, and tell us how it works!

I like my Tiny P... And have flown it a number of time on E28's. It is a good flight for a small field. But wait until you put an EconoJet "F" into it.... nice.

Regards,
Nick

My dad got a few F and G SU motors and an RMS reload for the 29/40-120 casing that we got last night, along with my kits (a couple of LPR Quest kits, and an AT Initiator--we spent $300+ on rocketry stuff last night, including our NAR memberships)

I would go with the Public Enemy Performer. Its only 58 dollars and shipping is 10 dollars. I'm probably gona get this kit too. But first I have make sure I have enough money left over to reloads for the Aeronauts launch out at Black Rock, NV.

www.publicenemyrockets.com

Already ordered it, but I will keep the Performer in mind... it looks pretty cool.

Originally posted by cls
F24 is a small F, it's only 48 Ns. I doubt Tiny Pterodactyl would get much over 600' with one. rocksim says barely 11 meters per second - about 25 MPH - off the rod. not enough to be flying, really. so yeah, try it, not in any wind, and tell us how it works!
I would think it would go higher than that - it only weighs 18oz. My post earlier was optimistic (I'm not sure why I guessed that high), but I would think at least 800-900' (on a VERY calm day). Use a 6' rod, and tell us how it goes.

Have fun with the Tiny Pterodactly. It flies great on an AT F40-4W. If you want to do a real neck snapping launch put an H128 in there. But if you want to fly it on H motor I suggest getting a second nose cone to have one weighted for H motors and one unweighted for F and G motors. I wish I could the Performer right now too but I need moeny for motors. No point in having rockets if you don't any motors to fly them with.

I have a tiny pteradacty.I only flew on g-40's and 64's.My only gripe is fitting all the goodies in.I used steel leader and 1/8th inch bungie and a 18" loc chute. It's a tight fit.It's a nice and sturdy rocket tough.

It'll be here Wed. and I plan to launch it on the 17th, first on an F24, then an F40 and maybe a G64, later on. I'll drag race my dads' Initiator, if we both have good flights, and 2 launch rods of the correct sizing. Should be fun.

F24-4 max liftoff weight 16oz. So I wouldn't try the F24-4. I would go with the F40-4 for its first flight then a G64-7.

Where is it that you find the max liftoff weight? I can't find it anywhere... Thanks

Flew mine for the first time today-

On an AT G-79W. Rock and roll, bang, see ya. :) I did have an issue with either my knot holding the nose cone on failing, or the nose cone failing, perhaps both. Either way, I've got the airframe, parachute, motor, and all the shock cords- no nose cone! Oh well, better than the other way 'round!

I did have to add a bunch of nose weight to offset the motor.

Next time around I'll use a G-77R load, with probably about the same effect!

N

What casing is the G77 for? I love Redlines, just don't have enough money to get the HPR stuff yet...

The only two MPR redline loads are the G77R, for the AT/Dr Rocket 29/120 case (not to be confused with the 29/40-120) and the G67, for the 38/120 case (a stubby little 1 grain case)

Originally posted by richalex2010
Where is it that you find the max liftoff weight? I can't find it anywhere... Thanks

Its on the Aerotech Motor matrix. You download it from the Aerotech website.

Latest posts

Back