Thunderstruck 5 Updates - check your badge / PARKING

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveyfire

Piled Higher and Deeper
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
March 30th Update

We had our cleaning party recently in Tom McFee's pole barn. Here's Curtis and Gus cleaning some rails, and Sam/Bill cleaning clips. We're almost there!
photo 2.JPGphoto 1.jpg

Badge List
SUPER IMPORTANT. Here's a list of all pre-registered adult flyers we have -- check to make sure your name is spelled right, because this is what's feeding the badge generating script. (BTW it has a toUpperCase() on the name field; sorry to disappoint all the ee cummings fans out there.) If you're not on there and you expected to be, shoot me a PM or an e-mail. If you are on the list and didn't expect to be... uh, no clue there.

Registration
Pre-registration is now closed, but if you missed out, you can see Jenny and Ginny on the field to get hooked up with a badge/t-shirt/DVD/raffle ticket. If you did pre-register, they'll have your swag ready, plus you won't have to give them any money :D

The Field
It's been raining here for the past few days, so the field will be muddy. Bring boots, you're gonna need 'em. We have straw for the high-traffic areas around RSO, pad assignment, and LCO, but after you're on the range, it's up to you. This is also another gentle reminder to never, ever drive in the fields. We like our landowners and they like us, and we'd rather not screw that up.

Parking
Parking is always the trickiest part of this launch. We'd love to park in the fields but, as mentioned above, we can't drive in them. To alleviate some of the crunch this year, we wanted to let you in on a secret: there's an alternate way to get a closer parking spot. Here's a map of the roads around the field:
FieldMap.png
(a PDF is available here)

Most everyone enters the site via northbound SR 43/River Rd, eastbound 900 N, and northbound Harrison Rd to E 1300 S/County Line Rd. This is the default option, but leads to a long line of cars stretching westbound from the launch site along County Line Rd.

Option 2 is to continue east on E 900 N past Harrison Rd to N 475 E. Turn left (NORTH) and then left (WEST) on E 1300 S. You'll pass McFee's trees on the right, and the launch site will be ahead of you.

Option 3 is to continue north on SR 43 and turn right (EAST) on E 1250 S. Turn right (SOUTH) on S 200 E, and right (WEST) onto E 1300 S. The launch site will be ahead of you.

We'll have signs up to remind you of the options, but if you come prepared, you can get there quicker. Speaking of which, for the love of rockets and all that is holy, 5 MILES PER HOUR IN THE PARKING AREA please. The mud is enough; we don't need dust and gravel, too. Plus, you know, kids and stuff. As Neil says, "slow down, you're already here."

Our PA reaches pretty far down the flight line, but tune to FM 89.3 when you're approaching the site to catch the LCO broadcast. If you bring a portable radio with you, you can even listen in while you're out recovering.

Volunteering
Volunteer signups are still on at https://www.indianarocketry.org/thunderstruck/volunteer -- we'd love to have you step in for a stint at safety check or pad assistant. Meet cool people, see cool rockets, and work with one of the best range teams out there.

Thanks everyone. We'll see you on the field!

TS5FlyerSingle.jpg

More information at https://www.indianarocketry.org/thunderstruck/ . Same great field, awesome waiver, massive range, great PA, and fantastic flyers coming to put up some serious impulse. We welcome all flyers and all vendors to come on down and enjoy.

In case you forgot, here's a small sample of what we flew last year:
[YOUTUBE]0H9CohYMUxM[/YOUTUBE]

and the year before:
[YOUTUBE]dLisoDI5UWo[/YOUTUBE]

along with a few previous Thunderstruck threads. Yeah, this is where we flew the hobby's first N10000, and the first P8000 (two, actually)... what'll be new this year?

Come find out. Registration is open now. We'll see you there!

Last edited:
My daughter and I are waiting on IRS to name a new treasurer so we can join. Then we'll register.

Gus has been no help since running off to Canada. He just mumbles something about Canadian Beer, US Customs probing and that he may be married to an RCMP.:)

Gus has been no help since running off to Canada. He just mumbles something about Canadian Beer, US Customs probing and that he may be married to an RCMP.:)

Au contraire *Von* frere..... Phone number is still the same, text's do work and, the internet comes in from a string run too a telephone pole across the road.......
If lost or in doubt look for the tree farm on top of the hill......two miles due west of Malfunction Junction Indiana.....:rolleyes:

Now, too the matter at hand.....

The reason i've been soooooo quiet, is that i've been running hard up and, down the highways of the Midwest with my little Semi trailers filled too the gills with all kinds of neat little junk and, toys for you little rotten Gentile boys and, girls.:D
See, we have this account with "Something called Amazon" ( I hear their pretty big...eh) and, along with some other customers who i may not mention.....they have been keeping me very, very busy.
Now my nights are filled with sweet dreams of trailers filled full of toys, games, books, cd's, dvd's, tv's and, MY personal favorite! *Adult S*x Toys*

:surprised: WOW.....Check this out guys! A skid of industrial vibrators with saddles on top! :surprised: Tried one once....just made my butt checks red.:mad:

And, YES it is true my recent vacation DID NOT go so smoothly as i had planned....I now share the distinction for being *Kicked out of TWO countries without being incarcerated.....*

Score TWO!;)

Along the way i learned a very valuable lesson.:eek:

*********The Legal Stuff************

All opinions expressed by Gus Piepenburg are just that....opinions expressed by "The Gus" NOT that of Indiana Rocketry, may....be some members of The Chicago Rocket Mafia.....and, MOSTLY by the entity known as Public Enemy Aerospace of which Mr. Piepenburg is wholly and, solely the only member of....;)

Eric? This is where you keep your children AWAY from the internet as i DO NOT want them too think any more than highly of *Uncle Gus* as he proceeds on.:D

Hold onto your chair......REAL hard.

Canada.....

Canada is a beautiful and, mostly calm and, peaceful country that borders the northern most half of the even more spectacular country known as "The United States of America."

I have MANY good friends in the previously said beautiful country of Canada.....
I LOVE Canada!
I like too occasionally visit "said country" of Canada.....
Canada.....is home too roughly 29,999,999 happy people....except for one.

With passport in hand....i attempted to enter the country, legally, peacefully.....and, with NO:no: harm too anyone in said country.....UNTIL i ran into HER.

Previously mentioned "Her" needs too sit on a pile of *Oil Spill Containment Snakes*.......

Now, i'm NOT being a woman hater here.....my penchant for all woman (especially tall, skinny redheads with looooong legs and, BIG racks is almost mythically well know in these parts....)

"Without long legs, it would just be b**b's and, butt's on the ground....that ain't right"...:p

Well, anyhow she kicked me out, thought i was lying too her and, said that over and, over again.......Guess she didn't believe i was really going too do what i legally came to pick up....
Sad story....:sigh: I wasn't able too see my friends and, complete a *Contractual Obligation* of which i could legally do and, administer.

No :no: Further :no: Discussion :no: is required.

I feel bad that it worked out this way.....but, i am slowly starting too get my "Mojo" back and, each and, every day goes much smoother since.
I have ONLY one thing too say about the incident....:D

Y'all SUCK at Hockey!

Go BLACKHAWKS!:eek:

Someday i SHALL return.........

Last edited:
Au contraire *Von* frere..... Phone number is still the same, text's do work and, the internet comes in from a string run too a telephone pole across the road.......
If lost or in doubt look for the tree farm on top of the hill......two miles due west of Malfunction Junction Indiana.....:rolleyes:

Now, too the matter at hand.....

The reason i've been soooooo quiet, is that i've been running hard up and, down the highways of the Midwest with my little Semi trailers filled too the gills with all kinds of neat little junk and, toys for you little rotten Gentile boys and, girls.:D
See, we have this account with "Something called Amazon" ( I hear their pretty big...eh) and, along with some other customers who i may not mention.....they have been keeping me very, very busy.
Now my nights are filled with sweet dreams of trailers filled full of toys, games, books, cd's, dvd's, tv's and, MY personal favorite! *Adult S*x Toys*

:surprised: WOW.....Check this out guys! A skid of industrial vibrators with saddles on top! :surprised: Tried one once....just made my butt checks red.:mad:

And, YES it is true my recent vacation DID NOT go so smoothly as i had planned....I now share the distinction for being *Kicked out of TWO countries without being incarcerated.....*

Score TWO!;)

Along the way i learned a very valuable lesson.:eek:

*********The Legal Stuff************

All opinions expressed by Gus Piepenburg are just that....opinions expressed by "The Gus" NOT that of Indiana Rocketry, may....be some members of The Chicago Rocket Mafia.....and, MOSTLY by the entity known as Public Enemy Aerospace of which Mr. Piepenburg is wholly and, solely the only member of....;)

Eric? This is where you keep your children AWAY from the internet as i DO NOT want them too think any more than highly of *Uncle Gus* as he proceeds on.:D

Hold onto your chair......REAL hard.

Canada.....

Canada is a beautiful and, mostly calm and, peaceful country that borders the northern most half of the even more spectacular country known as "The United States of America."

I have MANY good friends in the previously said beautiful country of Canada.....
I LOVE Canada!
I like too occasionally visit "said country" of Canada.....
Canada.....is home too roughly 29,999,999 happy people....except for one.

With passport in hand....i attempted to enter the country, legally, peacefully.....and, with NO:no: harm too anyone in said country.....UNTIL i ran into HER.

Previously mentioned "Her" needs too sit on a pile of *Oil Spill Containment Snakes*.......

Now, i'm NOT being a woman hater here.....my penchant for all woman (especially tall, skinny redheads with looooong legs and, BIG racks is almost mythically well know in these parts....)

"Without long legs, it would just be b**b's and, butt's on the ground....that ain't right"...:p

Well, anyhow she kicked me out, thought i was lying too her and, said that over and, over again.......Guess she didn't believe i was really going too do what i legally came to pick up....
Sad story....:sigh: I wasn't able too see my friends and, complete a *Contractual Obligation* of which i could legally do and, administer.

No :no: Further :no: Discussion :no: is required.

I feel bad that it worked out this way.....but, i am slowly starting too get my "Mojo" back and, each and, every day goes much smoother since.
I have ONLY one thing too say about the incident....:D

Y'all SUCK at Hockey!

Go BLACKHAWKS!:eek:

Someday i SHALL return.........

Next trip leave the John Lennon sunglasses at home. Things may go better.

My daughter and I are waiting on IRS to name a new treasurer so we can join. Then we'll register.

Richard Cash is still our highly valued treasurer until the new board convenes on Jan 5. Don't believe any thing he says to the contrary. :wink:

Gee Gus, I was just kidding…

Tried one once....just made my butt checks red.:mad:

I LOVE Canada!

I attempted to enter the country, legally, peacefully.....and, with NO:no: harm too anyone in said country.....UNTIL I ran into HER.

I dunno Gus, kinda sounds like I wasn’t too far off. You may not be married to an RCMP, but it sounds like you should be married to some gal at Customs anyway.

Ohhhhh.....:eek: Gus finally learned how to "Multi-Quote".

Sorry Gus!!

Shoulda left that hat with all the bells in the truck...

1. Forgot to bring my "Happy Hat", maybe next time.;)

Next trip leave the John Lennon sunglasses at home. Things may go better.

2. I did.....had my RayBan Clubmasters on board that morning.....Makes me look older and, MORE sophisticated.;)

Umm......... What about us honorary members??

3. Your ALSO welcome to participate my good friend Stevemeister!:D

Let me make it a little more personal though......

Someone....can kiss my 1/2 German, 1/4 Irish, 1/4 Cherokee Indian *Americanized Buht-tocks* and, please...above all "Suzy" make sure your wearing some Chapstick....

Suzy Chapstick...
Suzy Chapstick...

I just got off the phone with Manny and, almost had a heart attack from what i heard...

Pretty soon, somewhere on this forum our little buddy will be posting a short story on how we ALMOST lost him....last night.
I want ALL of you too support him and, offer up kind words for him and, his family this Christmas....

He will explain.

Apologies if I am missing something.
I will need a room for the weekend and had thought someone had made suggestions or recommendations here. Can't find it now of course.
Anyone use the same lodging each year? Looking for something hobby friendly as I usually have something to finish (repair) at night.
Thanks in advance

Apologies if I am missing something.
I will need a room for the weekend and had thought someone had made suggestions or recommendations here. Can't find it now of course.
Anyone use the same lodging each year? Looking for something hobby friendly as I usually have something to finish (repair) at night.
Thanks in advance
Gus kindly started a thread for this: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?62992-Best-Motels-for-Thunderstruck-5 -- hopefully you can find some recommendations there!

We're happy to confirm the following contests for Thunderstruck this year:

• Thunderstruck Mach Madness We've been doing this for three years now, and the rules are simple: (1) fastest rocket wins. (2) don’t break the waiver. Judging will be based on the accelerometer-derived velocity recorded by a calibrated on-board flight computer–barometric velocity measurements are too inconsistent for us to use. The entry fee is $20, payable at registration; one fee covers as many flights over the course of the weekend as you’d like to put up.

• SuperJart Drag Race: A Wildman Kentucky production, this race features 5″ Jarts with 75mm mounts on 2-grain 75mm CTI L910CS motors. The package is $370 (Jart + hardware + reload), or $250 if you already have the Jart. Contact Darryl Hankes at [email protected] or (270) 325-4510 to get one! (This is a SCREAMING deal, folks. That's $80 off the kit, $20 off the hardware, and you get the reload for free!)

• EZI-65 Drag Race: Sponsored by Countyline Hobbies, this race pairs the classic LOC 4″ kit with either a DMS I140W, I280DM, or I65W (pending availability), with the motor available at half price. For more information, contact Bob Jablonski at (574) 767-0660.

• For youth flyers, we will again be awarding the Lorraine D. Garrott Trophy. Mrs. Garrott granted Indiana Rocketry permission to fly in her field outside of Ash Grove, and was incredibly passionate about ensuring the next generation of children engaged fully in their education. This trophy is given each year in her memory to the youth flyer who shows the most growth in the hobby and puts up the most memorable flights over the course of the weekend.

If you're missing an excuse to build a new rocket, here's three (and maybe four) reasons to do it!

Hoping to get the ezi 65 dual deploy by TS but it may not happen . With the nip- 22 and the banshee builds with the finishing up on the super evil minon . Both the banshee and the nip is DD 54mm min dia with adapters for 38& 29mm the nip loaded with a j230 is 3.5lbs . This one is in R&D with the manufacturer. Hope to be in production by the summer

Back