Thoughts on a cylinder oddroc???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would make a nice Star Trek Original Series Dooms Day Machine.

Glue on some googly eyes, put some sharp teeth fins up front and make a scary monster tube worm rocket! Dune; Shai Hulud!

A wind sock rocket. A USA flag wind sock rocket. A squid (KRAKEN) rocket
IMG_20141115_113538196.jpg

Tube rockets with tractor motors rule! :)

I just flew my Flying Stovepipe scratch build last weekend. Flew like a champ.
Awesome. I am curious about the flight characteristics.

Did the cylinder spin all the way down?

Did the descent have a horizontal trajectory (did it move FORWARD, like a glider, or just come down smoothly horizontal, like either Horizontal Spin Recovery or BellyFlop)?

I was thinking of upscaling this with an Oatmeal Carton ring, using a D core, maybe rear eject with a streamer and pod, @lakeroadster style. Does this sound viable?

DO YOU HAVE VIDEO!?

No spinning; the cylinder glides forward like a glider. I expect it would belly normally, but the added rings, used for mount points on the booster, causes the cylinder to pitch forward just enough to provide a controlled glide. The guy who thought this one up was a genius.

It could have used a shorter delay (I used an A8-3). It had started to arc over before the ejection charge went and the torque caused a couple of the booster fins to come loose. The fins need to be epoxied on with decent fillets and I'll use a B4-2 on the second flight.

No video. This club has you bring your own pads, so I was RSO, LCO, spotter and videographer. Video loses in that scenario.

I remember an oddroc flown over 50 years ago in the midwest. It was made from a large cylindrical ice cream container like you might find at a Baskin Robbins. The bottom was cut out leaving three spokes of cardboard to a central three 18mm motor cluster. It had three small fins, not for stability, but to point out to RSO that it has fins. There might have been a thin metal lip on the forward end, but probably not. It did fly. It boosts up, lolls around a bit, and belches distinctively. The three ejections are not perfectly in sync and have throaty sound from the big cylinder. Recovery was tumble or feather weight.

Back