Spool rocket, minimum size ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tractionengines

Jack of all trades, Master of... (oh never mind)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well....I need a evaluation of a "typical" Oddroc.

As I was disposing of the empty spool of line from making my 700 # kevlar harnesses. I noticed the length is about the length of an 18mm motor AND the bore is just slight larger than an 18mm motor tube. A few minutes later I had done this... add CRs, an engine block, and an Estes 18mm motor retainer. There was even an 1/8" hole on one end that worked for the launch rod, all I did was add one on the opposite end.

So...to those of you who have flown spools;
1) What do you think? Flyable, maybe, don't.
2) What motors are better for spools? High thrust, or mid thrust, or low thrust. (B6, B4, C18, C12, C6, D20, D16...minimum delay, and/or remove ejection charges from Q-Jets. All available.)

Other Thoughts?
20240325_214415.jpg20240325_214443.jpg

As I was disposing of the empty spool of line from making my 700 # kevlar harnesses. I noticed the length is about the length of an 18mm motor AND the bore is just slight larger than an 18mm motor tube. A few minutes later I had done this... add CRs, an engine block, and an Estes 18mm motor retainer. There was even an 1/8" hole on one end that worked for the launch rod, all I did was add one on the opposite end.

2) What motors are better for spools? High thrust, or mid thrust, or low thrust. (B6, B4, C18, C12, C6, D20, D16...minimum delay, and/or remove ejection charges from Q-Jets. All available.)

Other Thoughts?
View attachment 637193View attachment 637194
Send it from the mid power pads first time, then if it flys good with with regular motors sized for its weight work up from there.

I did the same.
Named it "Emma's Dilemma".
Also scratched a 13mm spooler from another kevlar spool.
You can see their flights at the 11:03 and 11:23 marks here:

Both stable flights with tumble recovery.
Emma's Dilemma went up on a C6-0.
Edit: Forgot about the third scratch spooler named Wire to Wire (at the 12:51 mark).
Cuz it held speaker wire.
Launched on a C6-0 as well.
Also a good stable flight with tumble recovery.
Laters.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tag @BEC. I epoxied two kevlar spools and stock a block in the end. It flies well on a single engine, or with the boosted, as shown. Typically I use a C6-0 to an A8, but it would prolly fly on anything. It's too small to get a very good video with my iPhone. But you'll have to take BEC's word for it that it works. Um, when I remember to put a fresh engine in it, instead of a used one....

Attachments

• spooler.jpg
    spooler.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Thanks. For the record, I reinforced the slightly crimped body tube with thin CA and flew the model after that — with the sustainer motor in the correct way around! It was a nice flight (data HERE), and that model is prepped for another flight on the next trip up (again with the sustainer motor oriented correctly).

For the morbidly curious, HERE is data for the prior sustainer-didn't-light-because-the-motor-was-in-backwards flight.

Other Thoughts?
View attachment 637193View attachment 637194
Ca 4 penny's onto the top plate for stability. These scoot on C6 motors

Back