The PainKiller 3 rocket thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea why the photos are not coming up, and I can't figure it out, I'll keep taking photos of the build but not post them till I can figure this out.ill try reposting an earlier photo to see if it does the same thing.

Just more clicking involved,, no biggee, pic's look great.

Gary, should I epoxy the nose tip on or just leave it as is?

Totally up to you but what I do is:

Remove the Tip.
Take the washer and drill 4 holes at 12,3,6 & 9 O'clock
Re assemble the tip on the NC
Wrap a piece of electrical tape around the outside seam
Pour some epoxy into the NC, you may have to tip it side to side so air can escape and the epoxy flows through the holes

This will keep your tip centered no matter what.

Last edited:
Well it looks like things are working again with TRF. Not much building today on the rocket, I'm finishing the epoxy fillets on all the parts that were CA glued on. I'll start on the av bay sled and how I'm going to mount the electronics.

Totally up to you but what I do is:

Remove the Tip.
Take the washer and drill 4 holes at 12,3,6 & 9 O'clock
Re assemble the tip on the NC
Wrap a piece of electrical tape around the outside seam
Pour some epoxy into the NC, you may have to tip it side to side so air can escape and the epoxy flows through the holes

This will keep your tip centered no matter what.
Thanks for the advice.

Why do you wait so long in between drilling the holes?

Just want to make sure I drill in the right spots. Like in my other builds I change my mind constantly when building a rocket. There is no reasoning behind it, it's just the way I do things when building a rocket.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403290293.861676.jpg
Put grease in the holes so the epoxy won't clog them up
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403290407.088872.jpg
Putting epoxy inside of tube for the motor mount
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403290503.532435.jpg
Top of the forward CR with epoxy fillet
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403290563.617702.jpg
Put the fins and retainer on to keep the motor mount in place while the epoxy sets

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403362386.753553.jpg
This did not work. Had to do a redesign
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403362431.606997.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403362449.784258.jpg
This design works, not done yet still need to mount the altimeter
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403362560.240938.jpg
The fins are sanded and ready to be tack on
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403362613.040701.jpg
Drilled 1/8 holes by each slot to inject internal fillets

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403371009.829976.jpg
Got all the fins tacked on, need to get a syringe to inject epoxy for internal fillets

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403384378.451304.jpg
Inside the MMT, you can see where the fins and shock cord are attached

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403454715.467447.jpg
So the 1/8 hole was a bit small and had to drill 11/32 holes to fit the syringe. Doing the forward CR fillet.

11/32!!!! Holy schnikees! How big a syringe did you get? One o them 50cc jobs we used to use on the cattle?

Adrian

Yes I know the holes are big, I went to 10 different stores and this is the smallest syringe that I could find, but the holes can be filled in with epoxy, this is the reason why I drilled the holes next to the fins.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403530506.912251.jpg
Injecting the first internal fillet
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403530544.620813.jpg
This is why I like fiberglass rockets you can see the fillet.
One internal fillet done 5 more to go.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403530839.449751.jpg
This is the epoxy that I'm using for this build, there are others you can use but I like using Aeropoxy.

The last few days I've been doing internal fillets, nothing too exciting. Got two more sets to do. I've been racking my brain on what colors to paint this rocket, any suggestions are welcome. I've been thinking dark blue and light blue.

Metallic blue would be cool.

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

What! your not going to make it like the model??? LOL JK.. Paint it whatever color you like. I also have an all Black Profusion one with fluorescent Yellow vinyl, pretty cool.

PS, Anyone wanting a PK3? I'll be at URRF II with a few on hand, come say hello.

What! your not going to make it like the model??? LOL JK.. Paint it whatever color you like. I also have an all Black Profusion one with fluorescent Yellow vinyl, pretty cool.

PS, Anyone wanting a PK3? I'll be at URRF II with a few on hand, come say hello.

Since you put up a sales pitch on this thread, do I get a percentage of the sales? Lol
Every one, these are very nice kits, I recommend you pick one up and use it for your L1 and L2 certs, and if you have your L1 and L2 certs, pick one up anyway and use it for your workhorse.

I'm painting mine to look like a pain pill if I can get the design right...

I should have had all the internal fillets done a few days ago but as we all know life sometimes gets in the way of building rockets, I still have one set left to do. I did get some small U bolts to attach to the av bay bulk plates, once I start on that I'll post some pics.
I have decided on paint colors, for the main body tube it will be navy blue, and for the fins and nose cone will be a deep blue but that's far a way and I might change my mind from now till then.

Latest posts

Back