The Jet Freak is fun, simple, and cheap

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, just print at 100% and patterns are good. I put a 13mm motor tube on the 100% version.

I also print at 50% scale then put a 6mm motor mount for MMX motors.
Both sizes are lots of fun and if trimmed well will flu away.

Great flyer for such a simple design. Here's my original, which got destroyed on its 2nd flight from a CATO:

jet freak color.jpg

I subsequently built a 1.45X upscale in 1/8” polystyrene foam sheet with two elevon tabs on the wing trailing edges raised about 1/16". It flies even better than the original (probably better wing loading).

Jet Freak 1.45 Upscaled.JPG

@J Blatz

Newbie to rocket gliders questions..0

Does the motor get ejected at apogee? To achieve a better balance/gliders? Or does it stay with the glider?

What steps ...if any ..are taken to keep the motors flame from burning through the 1/16 Balsa.

The Greens and I are going to build some with our grandkids.

Tony

@J Blatz

Does the motor get ejected at apogee? To achieve a better balance/gliders? Or does it stay with the glider?

What steps ...if any ..are taken to keep the motors flame from burning through the 1/16 Balsa.

Tony
I believe it ejects its motor, otherwise it's too nose heavy. Mine only works if it dumps that extra weight.

Self-adhesive aluminum tape works well (the thicker stuff used for HVAC ducts, not the thin decorative stuff).

@J Blatz

Tony
Plans noted ejecting motor case - as rktman said, to lighten it for gliding.

In his upscale, he created a pop-pod for the motor with a red streamer... very nice! :) 👍

@J Blatz

Tony
Hey Tony

Yes, motor is ejected at apogee. I suppose a person could tape a short piece of streamer to it to slow its descent and make it more visible on the way down.

Mine is built with the wings papered with that adhesive paper stuff people use for shipping labels. I did that just cuz I’m lazy about sealing/ sanding. One of the other posters here has put some aluminum duct tape in the area subject to the most exposure to exhaust. I don’t think either is necessary given the minimal amount of surface damage on mine.

I’ll try to post a pic later today.

I used an A8-3 for my first flight. Great boost, straight and high. The glide portion was epic. It cleared the telephone pole at the edge of my field by 100' and sailed off into our neighborhood.

Hey Tony

Yes, motor is ejected at apogee. I suppose a person could tape a short piece of streamer to it to slow its descent and make it more visible on the way down.

Mine is built with the wings papered with that adhesive paper stuff people use for shipping labels. I did that just cuz I’m lazy about sealing/ sanding. One of the other posters here has put some aluminum duct tape in the area subject to the most exposure to exhaust. I don’t think either is necessary given the minimal amount of surface damage on mine.

I’ll try to post a pic later today.
Copy...
I looked for 1/16 Balsa locally with no luck..(I like at least looking locally before going online) I did find..and buy 1/16 Basswood..
Thanks again to all for the info..

Tony

@J Blatz

Tony
Yes, motor ejected. This is to move the CG from Launch to Glide balance (not to lose weight as others stated). If the motor stayed in then it will NOT glide but come straight down.

If flying NAR competition then the ejected motor MUST have recovery (streamer) like

Rktman showed is Post #8. If sport flying then recovery of motor is not required.​

Here are the Jet Freaks I still have with a 1/4A and an MMX motor.

Attachments

• IMG_2151 (Large).JPG
    IMG_2151 (Large).JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 0
Found this Upscaled Jet Freak instructions:
You might want to check out the construction notes from my build thread from post #21 above: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/1-45x-upscaled-jet-freak.168993/post-2193728 to help make things easier and faster.

1/8” polystyrene foam sheet is no longer available, as the company that sold it (Great Planes) got sold off to Tower Hobbies. If you can locate a source, please let me know, I'd really appreciate getting my hands on a bunch!

I have flown mine once and it was poorly balanced. I found it hard to get a decent test glide on a manual test glide. Did you have to add weight on your build and if so where? I could use a starting point t as a guide.

Agree, these are a bit harder to trim.
I do add some weight on the nose. Then adjust for good glide.

I did have a very hard time on the first Jet Freak. Moving CG just slightly waas too much.
What I did (1/2 scale, MMX) was sand the bottom of the trailing edge to create a turned up bottom surface. Then trim with nose weight was easier.
One could warp the trailing edge up a little. This is needed to have a 'positive' acting force to hold main wing angle of incidence.

When trimmed I can throw these up are about a 70° angle hard and it will transition into a glide.

I have flown mine once and it was poorly balanced. I found it hard to get a decent test glide on a manual test glide. Did you have to add weight on your build and if so where? I could use a starting point t as a guide.
In both my original-sized and upscale versions, I found tail weight was necessary. That said, I think a lot of it is dependent on how dense the balsa for your parts is, whether you use a hollow plastic or balsa NC, etc. It'll make a difference in your overall weight distribution. When hand-trimming, add nose weight if it stalls. If it nose dives, then add weight to the trailing edge of the rudder.

Being new at this, I'm trying to understand.
After the boost, the rocket turns nose down towards the ground, then the ejection charge ejects the motor case.
Now the nose is lighter, but what causes the glider to pull out of the dive?

Being new at this, I'm trying to understand.
After the boost, the rocket turns nose down towards the ground, then the ejection charge ejects the motor case.
Now the nose is lighter, but what causes the glider to pull out of the dive?
change in the CG location...?

Tony

Last edited:
Back