The "Christmas Star" Conjunction

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Info from a combination of sources. Start watching not long after sunset because they won't be above the horizon for long. :

In the northern hemisphere, just after sunset, look in the southwest sky and you'll be able to see the two neighboring lights above the horizon. For many Americans, by 7-8 PM local time, the two lights will disappear below the horizon. While looking in the SW sky, Jupiter will be on the left and Saturn will be on the right.

Jupiter and Saturn will be about 0.1 degree away from each other, making them appear basically as one bright light in the sky. For perspective, the width of the full moon is about 0.5 degrees.

The conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn takes place roughly every 20 years. However the last time these two came within a 0.1 degree of each other, was back in 1623. They could not see this conjunction as well because the two planets aligned near the sun, blinding them from any chance of seeing it.

5d8958a7-a0c4-4018-ab75-355436a730b4_1140x641.png

One of my roommates and I have a telescope ready to go and will try and photograph it. They are already close together and can see them both in one shot with a low magnification.

I'd love to see it, but as usually happens around here, it'll either be cloudy or raining on the date.

I got this shot tonight 12/18 with a 1000mm lens. You've got to be a real astronomer to get excited about two blobs in an eyepiece.

Attachments

• DSC_0105a.jpg
    DSC_0105a.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 67
I have been watching them for months. I have an 8 inch dobsonian. I can make out the colors on Jupiter and the ring around Saturn. I told my buddy about it and that he should take a look. That is a once in a lifetime event. And he said , so what do they do. So yes, you already have to be a sky watcher to get excited about this. Here is my picture.

Attachments

• 20201217_180535[137].jpg
    20201217_180535[137].jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 64
Clouds all day here in Williamsburg, but just in time it cleared off (mostly) and we were able to get a decent view (Swift spotting scope (65mm objective lens IIRC)). Should have ventured out sooner as it was not long before they were obscured by trees.

I didn't get the telescope out, but did use the 20 x 80 binoculars. So, I can see the two planets, but not much more. The conjunction is near the horizon and I am looking through a lot of atmosphere and we had air pollution today.

Like almost everything else in 2020... it was way over hyped. Clear as could be here, just looked like a bright star, with a not so bright star close to it.

I saw it very nice. 38000ft over southwest Oregon just after sunset. We could clearly see Saturn and Jupiter.

Very cool!

manixfan, Great photos!

Saw it with naked eye and binocs. Not good enough to make out the moons or rings, but still pretty cool!

Back