The Best CA Glue... Ever?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majordude

Swimsuit Model
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this CA glue demonstrated at a trade show a few weeks ago. I have never tried it but it looks better than most CA glues. It's from Germany and they guarantee a 3 year shelf life.

[video=youtube;zzBRL4lXlMA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzBRL4lXlMA[/video]

From their site:

MXBON is engineered in Germany and manufactured to the highest standards. Each bottle is poured in the factory, not shipped overseas in bulk containers and bottled in facilities full of airborne contaminants. Keeping the original formula safe from contamination leads to a faster setting, stronger bonding glue.

We don't recommend the use of "kickers" or catalyst sprays to accelerate cure time. With MXBON it is unnecessary and only weakens the final bond.

We have been offering the product for over 12 years. We have been able to test hands on with many different materials. We can confidently say along with our long time customers "This stuff will glue nearly anything!" It is great for metals, woods, ceramics, stone, glass, and excels when used on rubbers and plastics. The 424 version of MXBON was formulated for use with porous objects like: balsa wood, foam, and various cloths and leathers. The 424 is also useful when extra set time is needed to make small, last second adjustments.

Each bottle of MXBON glue comes date stamped with the year of production. The glue will hold in the container for years, even after the bottle has been opened. It isn't uncommon for a bottle to last upwards of 5 years! We have had customers send in 1st run bottles from over 10 years ago with useable glue still in the container. The secret in the glue lasting for such a long time is in the formula. No additives, solvents, or fillers to save money. We only use the good stuff and it shows in our product's performance.

Every bottle we sell comes with a no questions asked guarantee.

• We guarantee it won't dry out in the container within 3 years of purchase. If it does, we send you a new bottle.
  • We guarantee it will work as well as we claim it does. If you aren't satisfied, than we aren't either. 100% full refund. No questions asked.
  • We guarantee customer satisfaction EVERY time. It doesn't matter if it works or not. If you are not happy with our product, we will send you full refund and a return envelope.
More info here: https://www.mxbon105.com/Articles.asp?ID=253

What if you needed to glue baking soda to a sheet of plastic? It didn't seem to work at all!

Its available in 454g bottles. It looks thin. Open time seems very short.
I'll order some and see how it compares to the Gorilla Glue CA that I've been using.

Last edited:
LOL!

Well, I saw the demos at the show and I just tried to duplicate them, as well as use my "go to" CA (Hot Stuff) tonight to build a kit, and the Hot Stuff would only kick off (semi-instantaneously) if I used Zip Kicker. This stuff looks superior... but then I am a sucker for carnival barkers.

I'm going to assume it is pretty good stuff, unless you're bonding steel to steel. The demonstrator seemed to be deliberately gentle with the two nuts rather than trying to sever the bond.

I tried my best to word that in a way that it wouldn't sound like a joke. Really.

I'm going to assume it is pretty good stuff, unless you're bonding steel to steel. The demonstrator seemed to be deliberately gentle with the two nuts rather than trying to sever the bond.

I tried my best to word that in a way that it wouldn't sound like a joke. Really.
Probably just the opposite. CA is best bonding 2 clean flat metal surfaces together. The thinner the gap, the stronger the bond.

Bob

Tried this years ago. Price per use is iffy, given the relatively short life of an opened bottle. I have used CA for a long time-since it was Eastman 910, so I consider myself conversant on the handling, storage and uses of CA. Of primary importance is keeping humidity out of the bottle, as the bond is triggered by available ions to catalyze. I know some people swear by keeping Ca in the refridgerator, but this is actually a carry over from industrial paint, sealant and adhesive cribs/storage areas that usually had moisture or dissicant traps to prevent contamination. CA can be stored perfectly well at room temp. My trick is a rubber gasketed Mason Jar with a dissicant pak (dri-sorb, etc.) I keep on the workbench to throw my tubes and bottles in. prior to that i was good to get the full use of a 3 oz. bottle. MXBON is good, no doubt, but a purer product is more sensitive and may result in a premature paperwight.

You're saying you think he should have tried harder to separate the nuts?

You're saying you think he should have tried harder to separate the nuts?

Considering he only gently tossed them onto the wood, I don't think he proved the bonding strength of the cyanoacrylate. While generally a bad practice to be too vigorous, I think he should have been for the demonstration.

This thread can go in any number of directions now. While I know they are all hilarious, I hope it stays family friendly!

Considering he only gently tossed them onto the wood, I don't think he proved the bonding strength of the cyanoacrylate. While generally a bad practice to be too vigorous, I think he should have been for the demonstration.

This thread can go in any number of directions now. While I know they are all hilarious, I hope it stays family friendly!

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Setting the nuts aside for a moment, it seems like this MXBON Gap-Filling CA would be good for glueing your junk together.

I know some people swear by keeping Ca in the refridgerator, but this is actually a carry over from industrial paint, sealant and adhesive cribs/storage areas that usually had moisture or dissicant traps to prevent contamination. CA can be stored perfectly well at room temp. My trick is a rubber gasketed Mason Jar with a dissicant pak (dri-sorb, etc.) I keep on the workbench to throw my tubes and bottles in. prior to that i was good to get the full use of a 3 oz. bottle. MXBON is good, no doubt, but a purer product is more sensitive and may result in a premature paperwight.
I've been keeping my various CA types in the fridge because of what I've read over the years, but I'm going to switch to your method of sealing in a wide mouth jar (I use empty peanut butter jars for all kinds of storage) with desiccant. One thing I figured out about why I once ended up with a solid block of not very old CA - if you don't let your refrigerated CA warm to room temperature before use, moisture from any air sucked into the bottle during application will condense, turning your expensive liquid into a solid.

I talked to one manufacturer who said one of the biggest problems in having CA set up too quickly (in the bottle) is directly related to how close you keep the accelerator to the CA. I used to store them right beside each other on the shelf. This manufacturer said they don't even like to ship them in the same box. Then I went to my flight box and rocket range box and sure enough. There is the thin and medium CA along with a bottle of accelerator all rubber banded together and all four bottles of CA were as hard as a rock.

He also validated fyrwrxz's statement about the refrigerator. It stores best at room temp. YMMV.

Seems like a good idea to store desiccants with... everything. Motors, glues... and it's not like it's gonna hurt cardboard or balsa. Probably would prevent micro-corrosion on x-acto blades too.

LOL!

Well, I saw the demos at the show and I just tried to duplicate them, as well as use my "go to" CA (Hot Stuff) tonight to build a kit, and the Hot Stuff would only kick off (semi-instantaneously) if I used Zip Kicker. This stuff looks superior... but then I am a sucker for carnival barkers.

Hello Brian,

I'm pleased to hear that Hot Stuff is your go-to glue, and thank you for mentioning it. I want to address your comment. I am guessing that your bottle of Hot Stuff is past its shelf life, because Hot Stuff reacts very quickly with baking soda, acclerator, your fingers, etc. My father and grandfather were telling people about using baking soda with Hot Stuff decades ago when they were introducing CA glue to free flight and RC modelers. You most definitely do not need to use an accelerator when applying it to baking soda if the bottle is fresh- it will harden in just a few seconds.

About this 3-year shelf life- the actual quote is "We guarantee it won't dry out in the container within 3 years of purchase. If it does, we send you a new bottle." It's not quite the same as having a 3-year shelf life. Our glue takes 3-4 years to harden in the bottle. However, the usable life is shorter- The shelf life on our 2oz bottles is a year. That is a conservative estimate- many customers keep and use their bottles for considerably longer, and if you store unopened bottles in the freezer, you can at least double the shelf life. As cyanoacrylate ages, it slowly thickens and begins to cure more slowly. I don't know what the usable life of the MXBON would be, but I highly doubt that it is three years.

It is a nice video, but I don't see anything there you couldn't do just as well with Hot Stuff. If you would like to PM me your address, I'll be happy to send you a fresh bottle of Hot Stuff and you can do another test. Thank you for using our products.

I talked to one manufacturer who said one of the biggest problems in having CA set up too quickly (in the bottle) is directly related to how close you keep the accelerator to the CA. I used to store them right beside each other on the shelf. This manufacturer said they don't even like to ship them in the same box. Then I went to my flight box and rocket range box and sure enough. There is the thin and medium CA along with a bottle of accelerator all rubber banded together and all four bottles of CA were as hard as a rock.

He also validated fyrwrxz's statement about the refrigerator. It stores best at room temp. YMMV.

Hello Joe,

Contamination by accelerator can definitely be a problem. One mistake people often make is applying some glue, putting the bottle down, then spraying accelerator near the bottle. This can exacerbate clogging and shorten the shelf life if the glue bottle is not capped.

However, cold storage can be very good. The key is to just put unopened bottles in cold storage (preferably the freezer). If you do that, you can keep a bottle for years, and it will still be fresh when you take it out. If you are taking a bottle in and out of cold storage constantly, the shelf life will be shortened by the moist air inside the bottle condensing. Winston's comment just above your post is applicable there.

fyrwrxz's comment about storing in a jar with dessicant is right on. That is the best way to store a bottle that has been opened.

You are very welcome, Brian. Loyal customers like yourself are the reason we are still in business, and we are very appreciative.

Back