The Avionics Bay Thread...Post your Photos!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
V3.1 is done and it’s ready to fly! I made a few modifications to the layout and got the battery box just right. It’s been like 2 weeks of CAD and 3D printing but it’s all put together and this will be the one the flies.

View attachment 608262
View attachment 608263

The closures took some perfecting as well. Since the coupler tube is a BT-60 cut lengthwise and then fiberglassed back together it wasn’t perfectly circular it took some trial and error getting the fit just right.
View attachment 608264

Hope this helps somebody! If you want to print one for yourself let me know and I’m happy to share the CAD files.
That would be nice. I think a few of us would use them.

Following on from post #208, I finally sorted out the main AV bay.
AVB1.jpg

Marsa 54 & 33HLD both with Marsanet.

AVB2.jpg

Double Eagle CO2 Ejection pushing out the main chute via piston.

AVB3.jpg

1600mA hardcase LiPo's. Twin pull pin micro's.

You may query no aft ejection. That is being taken care of by the interstage AV bay in post #208.
Cheers,
Mark

Following on from post #208, I finally sorted out the main AV bay.
View attachment 608385

Marsa 54 & 33HLD both with Marsanet.

View attachment 608386

Double Eagle CO2 Ejection pushing out the main chute via piston.

View attachment 608388

1600mA hardcase LiPo's. Twin pull pin micro's.

You may query no aft ejection. That is being taken care of by the interstage AV bay in post #208.
Cheers,
Mark
doesn't get any better than that
ADvH9Sy.gif

Nice bay. Why the WiFi switch and the 3 pull-pin switches?

I do this too, so I tell you my reasons.

WiFi uses quite a bit of battery power. With the micro-switch there is no power draw, and I can use smaller batteries (or get longer life). Then the WiFi of the Quantum or MiniSwich allow me to turn it on remotely, after it is vertical on the rail, without climbing on anything.

Last edited:
I do this too, so I tell you my reasons.

WiFi uses quite a bit battery power. With the micro-switch there is no power draw, and I can use smaller batteries (or get longer life). Then the WiFi of the Quantum or MiniSwich allow me to turn it on remotely, after it is vertical on the rail, without climbing on anything.
So are you using the WiFi in series with the pull pins? I assume you pull the pins just before raising the rocket on the pad, and then use the WiFi to actually activate the altimeters. That about right?

So are you using the WiFi in series with the pull pins? I assume you pull the pins just before raising the rocket on the pad, and then use the WiFi to actually activate the altimeters. That about right?
Yep. Pull pins are a "master disconnect" To save battery.

Pulled at the pad while everything is easy to reach. Then after raising and other checks, armed and verified thru WiFi; just before, connecting starter leads, and leaving the area.

Yep. Pull pins are a "master disconnect" To save battery.

Pulled at the pad while everything is easy to reach. Then after raising and other checks, armed and verified thru WiFi; just before, connecting starter leads, and leaving the area.
Sounds like a good way to do it. I don't have anything I launch that really needs the WiFi distance, but I have a similar setup in my av-bays. I have a screw switch in series with the pull pins. Lets me turn everything off while prepping without the pull pins and flags getting in the way. Last assembly step is put in the pull pins and turn on the screw switches. Pull the pins once it's upright on the pad.

I'm working on a taller 2 stage and might have to use your method on the sustainer. Might include the screw switches for the prep area, pull pins for at the pad and the WiFi for final power up.

Thanks...

My first avbay, after reading the manual's, i chose a RRC2 and a RRC2L so i could get a 2 sec delay on the drogue. Alt on each side of board, both alts have there own switch and battery.

Attachments

• IMG_4706.JPEG
    IMG_4706.JPEG
    4.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4707.JPEG
    IMG_4707.JPEG
    4.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4708.JPEG
    IMG_4708.JPEG
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4709.JPEG
    IMG_4709.JPEG
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
dmaaero,
Nice AV-bay. Please specify where you got the push button switches and if the manufacturer tested its viability at 50G and tested at what vibrational frequency.

Thanks,
Fred
Level 2
ICBM, SC
KG4YGP

The first bay I built was not for deployment electronics nor tracking, but for a GoPro for my Super Big Bertha.
This was my first mid-power rocket and I wanted to see video from it.
As far as cameras go there are many lighter and better options for rocketry but that's what I had on hand, and it ended up working out pretty well.

First cut an additional section of BT-80 to use for the camera module.
Then I made a cradle to securely hold the camera.
IMG_8377.jpegIMG_8378.jpeg

That then slides down into the tube section and is stopped by a wooden ring that is glued within the tube below the window cutout. Then a wing nut from the bottom holds the cradle within the module.
Camera power is turned on by removing the nosecone and using a bit of dowel to press the power button through a hole cut into the top end of the camera cradle. Recording is started via smartphone app connection.
9216FA8B-9140-46FD-A50E-B220A7DCFE78.jpg

Not pictured is the windshield I made from a bit of very thin polycarbonate.
Here is the SBB with the camera module next to the smaller Berthas.
IMG_9262.jpeg

And a couple screen grabs from the video:
GPTempDownload.jpg
GPTempDownload.jpg
And here is liftoff on an F42:
IMG_2012.PNG

This avbay transition fits in my Estes Argent. Built in November 2013, It has forty documented flights on it.
avbay and transition.jpg
Stratologger SLCF, Featherweight magnetic switch, external speaker on aft avbay lid.

It started out with a RRC2+:
009.JPG

Back when it was new:
011.JPG

Forward end:
fwd ematch pull test.jpg

Forward end loaded and taped:
fwd lid finished.jpg

Aft avbay lid:
aft ematch.jpg

aft end loaded and taped:

aft lid finished.jpg

This avbay transition fits in my Estes Argent. Built in November 2013, It has forty documented flights on it.
View attachment 617563
Stratologger SLCF, Featherweight magnetic switch, external speaker on aft avbay lid.

It started out with a RRC2+:
View attachment 617564

Back when it was new:
View attachment 617565

Forward end:
View attachment 617566

Forward end loaded and taped:
View attachment 617569

Aft avbay lid:
View attachment 617567

aft end loaded and taped:

View attachment 617568
Thats awesome, thanks for sharing this. I'm here to learn and doing just that. Thank you, very cool!

54mm AV-bay, 4.5" long. BlueRaven +FW GPS. Using as a test bed for the new BR and software. MAC Zodiac launch vehicle. Test flights this Sat at Snow Ranch if the rain holds off

View attachment 623423
All the best for the test flight. However, I hope the BlueRaven has a high level of immunity from the tracker’s RF signal. That antenna is very close to that altimeter.

54mm AV-bay, 4.5" long. BlueRaven +FW GPS. Using as a test bed for the new BR and software. MAC Zodiac launch vehicle. Test flights this Sat at Snow Ranch if the rain holds off

View attachment 623423
William --

Nice AV-Bay !

I love the Additive Aerospace Simple Circuit.

I see that you've wired a switch into it.

What are you using for a switch in your AV-Bay ?

Does a single switch control power to the Blue Raven as well as the GPS ?

Thanks !

-- kjh

1000006468.jpg1000006470.jpg1000006471.jpg
Avionics bay for the sustainer of a two-stage project I'm working on.
Eggtimer Proton for primary deployments, sep charge, and air start. Eggtimer Quantum for redundant deployment charges.
Eggtimer Telemetry Module connected to the Proton.
Pull-pin switch completely disconnects power from the Proton channels.
Labrat bulkhead terminals for deployment charge connections. Sep charge and air start connections use ring terminals and 4-40 screws (connection to the e-matches will be a modified JSTs - the ring terminals are just to ensure that the bulkhead wire leads don't get pulled off during separation).

Great job! I really like the connectors on the bulkhead, it must make removing that bulkhead and getting the sled out of the coupler very straightforward.

I have a ton of questions about this (if you don't mind...)
What diameter did you fit this all into? It looks narrow (relative to the 30.8mm Proton) and you made terrific use of the space.
What material is the sled printed in?
What material are the bulkheads?
Have you had any issues or concerns with supporting the ETM antenna? I've seen a number of other designs that make efforts to do this and was curious if it was really an issue.

Thanks,
Jay

View attachment 623675View attachment 623676View attachment 623677
Avionics bay for the sustainer of a two-stage project I'm working on.
Eggtimer Proton for primary deployments, sep charge, and air start. Eggtimer Quantum for redundant deployment charges.
Eggtimer Telemetry Module connected to the Proton.
Pull-pin switch completely disconnects power from the Proton channels.
Labrat bulkhead terminals for deployment charge connections. Sep charge and air start connections use ring terminals and 4-40 screws (connection to the e-matches will be a modified JSTs - the ring terminals are just to ensure that the bulkhead wire leads don't get pulled off during separation).

Great job! I really like the connectors on the bulkhead, it must make removing that bulkhead and getting the sled out of the coupler very straightforward.

I have a ton of questions about this (if you don't mind...)
What diameter did you fit this all into? It looks narrow (relative to the 30.8mm Proton) and you made terrific use of the space.
What material is the sled printed in?
What material are the bulkheads?
Have you had any issues or concerns with supporting the ETM antenna? I've seen a number of other designs that make efforts to do this and was curious if it was really an issue.

Thanks,
Jay
Thanks!
I like the connectors too. Only caveat is that they are SMALL. Wear your reading glasses when fitting the e-match leads into them!
This is all inside a 65mm airframe.
The sled is PETG. Probably does not need to be for an AV sled, but it's pretty much what I print all my rocketry parts with.
The bulkheads are G10 fiberglass.
I have had at least 12 flights in various rockets with the ETM. I have a "clip" that I can attach to support the ETM antennae, but I've found it to be unnecessary. there's just not enough mass in that antennae to result in any significant dynamic forces. The only reason a support may be necessary is for regular handling (charging batteries, connecting deployment leads, connecting power cables, etc).

Back