Texas dairy farm explosion kills 18,000 cows

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the bummer; beef is already expensive enough.
It will have no effect or should have no effect on the price of beef, dairy cattle are not fed to fatten like a beef for slaughter, they are fed a specific diet to maximize milk production, and dairy cattle are very very lean. They might sell the meat for some other purpose but a dairy cows entire life is producing milk, as such they really aren't too suitable for human consumption if as they get near the end of that life. I live in an area with lots of large dairies and feed lots and have both worked around dairies (not as an employee of the farm but doing construction for the farmer). Dairy cows are fed a diet thats high in protein, cows for slaughter a diet high in carbs, the same thing happens to cows that happens to humans on similar diets, one gets you slimmer the other makes you bigger. I am being very general because my knowledge in the area cattle is limited by conversing with the farmers and ranch hands on places we worked.

Sorry about that the cows, but I can't help but think back in the day there would be a Monty Python sketch in there somewhere. Supply your own dialogue and plot line. I have and it's hilarious, but that's ok, that's just me....Mr. Medium Well to my friends...

It will have no effect or should have no effect on the price of beef, dairy cattle are not fed to fatten like a beef for slaughter, they are fed a specific diet to maximize milk production, and dairy cattle are very very lean. They might sell the meat for some other purpose but a dairy cows entire life is producing milk, as such they really aren't too suitable for human consumption if as they get near the end of that life. I live in an area with lots of large dairies and feed lots and have both worked around dairies (not as an employee of the farm but doing construction for the farmer). Dairy cows are fed a diet thats high in protein, cows for slaughter a diet high in carbs, the same thing happens to cows that happens to humans on similar diets, one gets you slimmer the other makes you bigger. I am being very general because my knowledge in the area cattle is limited by conversing with the farmers and ranch hands on places we worked.
All that is true, but "retired" dairy cows still get sold at the livestock auction. They won't be USDA prime but they'll still get used for hamburger or dog food or something.

The cows know when it is time to milk, some twice a day, other will three times. They will walk into this rotary milking parlor, put themselves in a stall, some have a robot to clean the teats, others a person will. this goes on for 22 hours a day. the other 2 hours are spent cleaning to live up to the grade rating. Most will have viewing area above the parlor.

Sorry about that the cows, but I can't help but think back in the day there would be a Monty Python sketch in there somewhere. Supply your own dialogue and plot line. I have and it's hilarious, but that's ok, that's just me....Mr. Medium Well to my friends...
Don’t even need to stretch it to a fully Monty Python bit, it’s a perfect dark bit for a SNL weekend update.
“In other news, an explosion at a dairy farm in Texas killed 18,000 cows this week. When reached for comment, the farmer’s father observed that it was an udder disaster.”

Okay, the bad pun door has been opened, so y'all better hide as I horn in on some of that action.

As a vegetarian*, I don't have a steak in this story, but leather or not one is a meat-eater, the suffering of animals on such a massive scale risks putting one in a depressed mooed. It certainly has me feeling a little low, and gives me a beef with the negligent owners. I'm thinking they must be at least a little jerky. Dairy me, when I think of all those poor cows hoof ound themselves in the middle of a hellish inferno!

* I lied in order to milk more bad puns from the situation. My sincerest apologies.

Okay, the bad pun door has been opened, so y'all better hide as I horn in on some of that action.

As a vegetarian*, I don't have a steak in this story, but leather or not one is a meat-eater, the suffering of animals on such a massive scale risks putting one in a depressed mooed. It certainly has me feeling a little low, and gives me a beef with the negligent owners. I'm thinking they must be at least a little jerky. Dairy me, when I think of all those poor cows hoof ound themselves in the middle of a hellish inferno!

* I lied in order to milk more bad puns from the situation. My sincerest apologies.

I think you're milking this for bad puns.

You butter knock that off before this whole thread curdles.

The cows know when it is time to milk, some twice a day, other will three times. They will walk into this rotary milking parlor, put themselves in a stall, some have a robot to clean the teats, others a person will. this goes on for 22 hours a day. the other 2 hours are spent cleaning to live up to the grade rating. Most will have viewing area above the parlor.

Do we really want to live in a world where robots are cleaning teats?

Don’t even need to stretch it to a fully Monty Python bit, it’s a perfect dark bit for a SNL weekend update.
“In other news, an explosion at a dairy farm in Texas killed 18,000 cows this week. When reached for comment, the farmer’s father observed that it was an udder disaster.”

This skit sounds totally cheesy.

Lest anyone get the wrong idea about my sentiments, I am truly horrified at the scale and level of suffering those cows endured. This should be a national scandal which changes how we treat the animals in our factory farms. Sadly it will more likely be just a temporary bump in the news cycle.

But I am also a mean hand with gallows humor and in general a terrible man for a pun in any circumstance.

About 1990. A place called Pepcon blew up. They made rocket fuel IFIRC. Look it up on You Tube. Looked like a nuke went up. Kind of looked like the Texas explosion. People from here told me the shock wave blew out windows and buckled garage doors miles away. The You Tube video is filmed from a small mountain a few miles away from the plant.

I hate to say its legal to keep and eat roadkill., in my state.
There is a legend at my old firehouse about a crew that hit a deer on the way to a call, threw it on the truck and cleaned it after the call was over. Of course, the responsible parties were conveniently long retired or deceased when the story was told. It is believable....

Camp Ripley in MN. a deer wandered onto the live fire range when they were training with the .50 cal. I am told was not much left to even teel it was a deer.

Back