Tell me something about yourself that is Amazing, Unbelievable, Surprising or Odd. =)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hobie, not in one yet, but the tread is wearing off the OEM issued equipment and the shocks are going bad.
this is my outdoor chair.
Zs3uBUK.jpg

I converted it over from having out board leg rest, to a Central single footplate.
pXRt2hy.jpg

jdPQtdc.jpg

W24JrMU.jpg

I installed a 90's Suburban seat just like the one I Had in my Suburban that I owned for 25 years as it was one of the most comfortable seats I can find after losing all the cushion in my rear end. I also replace the front tires with scooter type tires has it made the red 100% better, But I see where there are guys who are taking segways ,the X2 off road model, and instead of having it to where you stand up, they adapt over a seat on it and shorten up the handle and then they have an off road power chair.

this is my outdoor chair.
Zs3uBUK.jpg

I converted it over from having out board leg rest, to a Central single footplate.
pXRt2hy.jpg

jdPQtdc.jpg

W24JrMU.jpg

I installed a 90's Suburban seat just like the one I Had in my Suburban that I owned for 25 years as it was one of the most comfortable seats I can find after losing all the cushion in my rear end. I also replace the front tires with scooter type tires has it made the red 100% better, But I see where there are guys who are taking segways ,the X2 off road model, and instead of having it to where you stand up, they adapt over a seat on it and shorten up the handle and then they have an off road power chair.
I am so getting you on board to customize a chair if I ever need one. That looks like an engineering tour-de-force. Looks really comfy too! My buddy has MS and I fixed his arm rests after the factory guys failed to figure in lateral torque as he gets in and out of it when they "repaired" it. Once a mechanic, always a mechanic.

Okay,buckle up, buttercup. This goes back a bit to the Great Pandemic Lockdown.
... I'm a military brat.

Yep, confirm all above reports of being a military brat! You do move around the world a lot. I'm a military brat born at Warner Robbins AFB in GA in 1963. Never been overseas, but have lived in the North, South, East, and West of the USA.

Some good points about moving a lot; you get to see the countryside, and you get good at meeting new friends! :)

My fav place to live was Elmondorf AFB in Alaska. As a kid, there wase so many things to do OUTSIDE! The Christmas I got a wood Toboggan sled was a great winter! You could get 3-4 kids on that thing!

1682177387258.png

I also started my 'Rocket Scientist' career in Alaska - I got many 'hand-me-down' (read broken) rockets from my older bro. I remember when 'Pong' came out. It was a table top version at the base golf course's club house. For 1 quarter, I could play all day long (free game if you beat the PC), or until someone else wanted to play.

I remember my parent playing in the 'Midnight Golf Tournament'. The base course was beautifully lined w tall pine trees down the entire fairway... 😍

And THEN, the fishing! King, Pink, Silver salmon. Halibut. King Crab. Clam diggin. Those were the days... Highly recommended! :p 👍

Yep, confirm all above reports of being a military brat! You do move around the world a lot. I'm a military brat born at Warner Robbins AFB in GA in 1963. Never been overseas, but have lived in the North, South, East, and West of the USA.

Some good points about moving a lot; you get to see the countryside, and you get good at meeting new friends! :)

My fav place to live was Elmondorf AFB in Alaska. As a kid, there wase so many things to do OUTSIDE! The Christmas I got a wood Toboggan sled was a great winter! You could get 3-4 kids on that thing!

View attachment 576596

I also started my 'Rocket Scientist' career in Alaska - I got many 'hand-me-down' (read broken) rockets from my older bro. I remember when 'Pong' came out. It was a table top version at the base golf course's club house. For 1 quarter, I could play all day long (free game if you beat the PC), or until someone else wanted to play.

I remember my parent playing in the 'Midnight Golf Tournament'. The base course was beautifully lined w tall pine trees down the entire fairway... 😍

And THEN, the fishing! King, Pink, Silver salmon. Halibut. King Crab. Clam diggin. Those were the days... Highly recommended! :p 👍
Holy crap! That's the base! I remember the middle school was called '"Rumble", next to the high school. Did you live in base housing off South Davis? I was born on March AFB in '52. How cool is this? Damn. What a podunk little town. We got excited when they built a K-Mart fer crying out loud.The paper mill just made it more special with the heat and humidity. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times! But there were rockets!

When I was a youngster I started experiencing so many occurances of ESP that at some point I had to question if I was making things happen. It was simply too much for my young mind to deal with and I instead decided to turn to logic and science to try to explain everything possible.

I still get really weird "beyond the odds" things happening in my life. I just see them as blessings and surprises that makes life not so boring. :)
Oh buddy, didn't see my post response. The hotel internet is flakey here. I think that's the most mature attitude I've heard from a "gifted" person. So you kinda embrace what I call spooky, but my wife calls synchronicity. I don't get many odd coincidences in my life, but these have been the biggest for me. Stay amazed at the world, it's the best we have so far. Peace, love and Rockets!

Rumble was still there in the 90's when I was in & around Warner Robins.
The world gets smaller. Outstanding! Is it still a "little" town? Obviously the economy was built around the base, but the locals achieved an independent measure as the cold war wound down and Vietnam ended. One of my buddies sent me pics of the now civilian housing where we used to live. All the trees are bigger! I played in my very first band at Rumble.Thanks for posting. Good times, good times!

Okay, just thot of this. I have TWO pairs of cuff links worth $930,000 per pair. No diamonds, just enameled pot metal. When you work for a company, usually you have NDA's and give all patent rights away. I re-designed the aerodynamic panels on the engine strut mounts of the 767. My boss took it up the food chain and came back with them as "the best I could get". It saved a ton of rework at this dollar value. I was working at GenDyn at the time, not at Boring until years later. And yes, they stuck me on the 747/767 team. A little surreal seeing the completed item you built as a subassembly a thousand miles away on the airplane you are standing under and another case of synchronicity. I don't even know where they are right now.

The world gets smaller. Outstanding! Is it still a "little" town? Obviously the economy was built around the base, but the locals achieved an independent measure as the cold war wound down and Vietnam ended

It’s a little more spread out, but small by most people’s standards. “Town” is still largely defined by Watson Blvd and Russell Pkwy, the two parallel roads running east to west. It’s spread west to US41 now, and a few miles south.

The base is still primary, but the town would probably survive without it at this point. My brother still has an office there.

The Super Sod farm on Hwy 96 was the site of many HPR launches through the 90’s, though (I think) that came about through activity on Super Sod’s fields in central and east GA. There are at least a few fliers on TRF that flew that field.

Coincidentally, if it weren’t for those launches, it’s doubtful I would be on TRF to have this conversation with you.

Mom had me tested to see if I was a genius. This involved whatever brain scans they did in the early 70's, EEGs maybe. They also took me to psychologists and therapists to find out what made me tick. My reading scores were off the chart, but my math scores trended the other way. Turns out I was just an ADHD kid who happened to read very well. If they'd have asked me, I'd have told them. I hate to think of how much money they spent only to find out that I was mostly harmless.

My first rocket was a 16' 8", $250,000, US ARMY HAWK.
After his return from Vietnam in 1968, my father was stationed at Fort Bliss, Texas, near White Sands Missile Range. At a Family Appreciation Day event, we watched Nike Hercules, Nike Ajax, and other SAMs take out drones. When they flew the Hawks I got to fire one. And yes, I hit the drone I was aiming at, not the mention all those with the ground crew and radar installation. ;-)
That got me hooked, and I started building Estes model rockets. Now I've got my TRA Level 2 Certification and I'm thinking of building a Hawk for my L3 someday.
...and now you know The Rest of The Story.HAWK SAM.jpg

My first rocket was a 16' 8", $250,000, US ARMY HAWK.
After his return from Vietnam in 1968, my father was stationed at Fort Bliss, Texas, near White Sands Missile Range. At a Family Appreciation Day event, we watched Nike Hercules, Nike Ajax, and other SAMs take out drones. When they flew the Hawks I got to fire one. And yes, I hit the drone I was aiming at, not the mention all those with the ground crew and radar installation. ;-)
That got me hooked, and I started building Estes model rockets. Now I've got my TRA Level 2 Certification and I'm thinking of building a Hawk for my L3 someday.
...and now you know The Rest of The Story.View attachment 579006
Abso-frikkin'-lutely outstanding!

The police had me locked up in a holding cell when I was 5.
Here is the full story....

The school where I went to kindergarten was right beside the police station. One day we had a field trip to the police station, and when they showed us the holding cells. Someone asked if they every actually locked anyone up in there (this was a very small town so crime was pretty much unheard of) and the officer said 'Yes, we had a real bad customer locked up in this cell last night. He scratched his name into the wall at the end of the bunk, go see'. So we all went in looking for the name but couldn't see it. Then we heard a big clang behind us. The officer (or perhaps the teacher) had locked the whole class up in the holding cell. Our teaching was laughing her head off. We played along, ran to the bars protesting our innocents, we didn't do it, please let us out. He unlocked the door and we carried on with the tour. It was all in good fun but if anyone did that today I'm sure somebody would get fired.

Well, I had family friend I called Uncle Tony. He was AKA Fat Tony Salerno. I had a Great Horned Owl and a Screech Owl for pets. I became friends with Tex Hill & Charlie Bond of the Flying Tigers. I am now retired, which allows me to travel around & shoot for aviation magazines.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-19 212228.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-08-19 212228.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 0
  • coversummer2022.jpg
    coversummer2022.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 0
  • page0047 (1).jpg
    page0047 (1).jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Web capture_4-10-2022_85010_.jpeg
    Web capture_4-10-2022_85010_.jpeg
    559.6 KB · Views: 0
Well, I had family friend I called Uncle Tony. He was AKA Fat Tony Salerno. I had a Great Horned Owl and a Screech Owl for pets. I became friends with Tex Hill & Charlie Bond of the Flying Tigers. I am now retired, which allows me to travel around & shoot for aviation magazines.
How frickin cool is that?

I may be responsible for next great archeological debate. Long story short, I dropped a Roman coin in a gravel parking lot of one of the innumerable road side diners in Nebraska. It literally came from the sands of Turkey. No, Windy, Romans did NOT discover Nebraska. They would have kept on going. Especially if they were looking for food...

Growing up, I actually didn't know how to burp (I would do a series of really small burps that was quite uncomfortable).

However, around my teens I suddenly learned to release the burp all at once and it was quite impressive imo. 😆 I would also say the word "BURP" so it would be a bit more entertaining and wouldn't be as gross.

I once snuck up on my bestie and let out a massive burp. He jumped forward very startled and kept saying that he felt it like a light slap on his back. 🤣

Needless to say, this "skill" was quite fun for an adolescent. 🙃

Latest posts

Back