Tabasco sauce rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Barney

Reaction score
so im a fan of all things hot, and I love tabasco sauce, so I figgure... Why not fly one!
tbascorocket.JPG

the body tube will be a 5" oatmeal tube, glassed with 1 layer of 4oz and 1 layer of 2oz veil. fins and CR's will be 1/8" ply 38mm motor mount mostly flying on a G67R and H148R with a max of an I218 wich would be pushing it(of course you gotta do redline with a HOT SAUCE rocket)
'transition and cap' will be made out of foam and fiberglassed lightly. the neck will be made of 2.56" tubing

I dont want to make this too heavy as its just basically a fun oddroc.

I take my time building rockets, so this is just a teaser that I'll be working on inbetween my L3 building time (thread on that to start as soon as I get the final approval to start mixing epoxy)

Should be fun :p

Brian:
I love making Flying food and other containers fly! I'm Sure if you look around you'll find a Texas Pete or tabasoc bottle that's convertable:) I'd also strongly suggest IF you build it, use clear polycarbonate fins so as to reduce the distraction for the ssubject:)

I've made a few rockets from Coca-Cola bottles. The original Smoka-Cola Mk 1 (in the picture) flew several years ago, Mk2 and Mk 3 were flown to destruction, and the Mk 4 is about to be retired having flown several times on both sides of the Atlantic. The airframe for the Mk 5 will be emptied this weekend!

One day I'll get around to writing up a set of instructions for building one.

Originally posted by Phil
I've made a few rockets from Coca-Cola bottles. The original Smoka-Cola Mk 1 flew several years ago...
Ugh...now that I've seen that, my first odd-roc may have to be a Coke Zero bottle. That looks sweet.

It wasn't too hard to build, but you have to be careful about which glues you use. Its worth experimenting a bit.

Basically, you build a BT50 rocket inside a bottle with the top as the nosecone. Transparent fins were TTW mounted to the BT50. To make it look full I sprayed the inside with Tamiya paint 3 parts brown to 1 part black.

If there are kids at the launch I ask them to shake it to make it go higher....

One of the guys at SWARM in the UK took this nice lift-off shot of the Mk1's first flight.

...and this is a shot of the Mk 4 at NARHAMS last October.

You might have noticed that my avatar is a rocket propelled pig, but's that's another story....

My two favorite "bottle Odd-Rocs" in the flying food series or
Coffee, Cream & sugar, & PB&J sandwich.

As Phil mentioned they aren't very difficult to construct. BT-50
tubes almost alway fit with just a little dremel widening at the mouth of the bottles, I don't use TTW fins they are epoxy rivit attacted to the bottom itself. Clear Lexan or stryene fins in side the CA soaked Sugar and SweetNLow paper packets are attached in that way, the Bread slices are 3/16" Foamcorm board attached the same way, Epoxy rivit to both the fin and peanut bottle. plastic spoons (all facing the same direction) and knifes just add to the overall theme. Spoons do help spin the model on the way up:D

Originally posted by Brian Barney
so im a fan of all things hot, and I love tabasco sauce, so I figgure... Why not fly one!
tbascorocket.JPG

the body tube will be a 5" oatmeal tube, glassed with 1 layer of 4oz and 1 layer of 2oz veil. fins and CR's will be 1/8" ply 38mm motor mount mostly flying on a G67R and H148R with a max of an I218 wich would be pushing it(of course you gotta do redline with a HOT SAUCE rocket)
'transition and cap' will be made out of foam and fiberglassed lightly. the neck will be made of 2.56" tubing

I dont want to make this too heavy as its just basically a fun oddroc.

I take my time building rockets, so this is just a teaser that I'll be working on inbetween my L3 building time (thread on that to start as soon as I get the final approval to start mixing epoxy)

Should be fun :p

sounds like it will really go !

I'm interested in how do you plan to do the label ?
sounds like a printed wrap would be perfect,and really simple to do if you could find some nice big graphics;)

https://www.tabasco.com/arts_pavilion/wallpaper/pictures.cfm

https://www.tabasco.com/arts_pavilion/label_ads/index.cfm

Back