Super Neon Mosquito Bash

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wanted to add some "color" (well, black) lower down. Painted the launch lugs.

It was my first attempt to use an airbrush - the paint ran under my masking tape real bad :cry:
Not feeling motivated again.........:sigh::sigh:

bad1.jpg

When it comes to sanding down paint runs and respraying, the only thing that works is pulling yourself up by the boot straps. Think of the Gunnery Sergeant Lee Ermey yelling in your ear all that tough love and it will whip you right into shape. Nothing soft and cuddly, just cold turkey and harsh sandpaper here.

Well - a bit more sanding to do

Also tried to add some stripes (also using an airbrush)
decided to go light
hit it with a hair dryer between coats
Did like 8 coats before it covered
removed the tape and ..... :facepalm:

Not sure if it is the paint or the tape, but....
I'm going back to rattle cans

bad2.jpg

Well - a bit more sanding to do
Also tried to add some stripes (also using an airbrush) decided to go light hit it with a hair dryer between coats. Did like 8 coats before it covered
removed the tape and ..... :facepalm: Not sure if it is the paint or the tape, but....I'm going back to rattle cans

I can tell you right now, that it's the tape. If you're using that regular blue painters tape, you'll have worse luck. Try using Tamiya tape or that yellow Frog tape. I quit using the blue stuff except for fill masking. For nice clean lines, you can't go wrong with these two suggestions. Also, make sure you firmly seat the tape edges. It appears yours were loose. Even when I used to use the blue tape, I didn't get runs like that.

Most vendors carry the Tamiya tape in a few different widths. I keep the 1/4" and the 3/16" for around the fins and such, the 1" wide Frog for bigger applications.

I really like the yellow Delicate Surface FrogTape. Thin and kind of stretchy and adheres really well but will not pull up paint. One method you can use to prevent bleed thru is to seal the edge of the tape by spraying it with the base color and letting it dry before using a 2nd color.

So sanded off the color. Saw that the white was "stained", so hit it again with more white
Let it dry, remasked and repainted.

Pulled the masking off and voila!
This was done with rattle cans and the normal blue tape. I will have to look into different tape if I try the airbrush again.

Also painted the other fin. Waited, and added a golden sun symbol

And while I was waiting I also painted the "engines" I left an unpainted section in the middle for gluing

Hmmm - pictures loaded in reverse order....

engines.jpg

good2.jpg

good1.jpg

I have had paint bleed like that when using craft acryllics and blue tape. Very frustrating. Had to paint my Partizon 3 times. Ive had no problems with rattle cans and blue tape though. I will try some better tape next time myself.

Got to fly the rocket at LDRS (before the rain)

Here it is on the launch pad. Unfortunately, I missed the launch shot

Beautiful flight - nice and straight

On landing the joint for two of the "fins" from the body to the pod separated. A little epoxy and good as new!

super neon launch1.jpg

Back