Summer Project 54mm 16 Fins o my

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gagreen

Reaction score
been messing around on rocksim for a while now trying to come up with a visually appealing rocket that looks like it is breaking the law just sitting there that will also eventually fly :D so here is the general idea i have now. i still need to come up with a dual deployment system integration without messing up the lines of the rocket. Im still new and will have to get my lvl 1 this spring before i could fly this thing but who doesnt want a piece of ballistic art sitting around the house lol.

rockpreview.jpg

Your centering rings seem to be in odd places. Are you going to try doing a TTW (thru-the-wall) fin design. If you are I would suggest moving the rings to the Leading edge and Trailing edge of the fins.

Looks good to me.I like the military look ,kind of Nike Hercules and SA-2 Guidelind looking.....and that`s a great look.

I look forward to seeing this built ,would be very interesting ! Your CR`s should be OK if using TTW on the fins.

Paul

i am kind of experimenting with tang design and ill be doing some small scale trials with alot of the design elements of this rocket, kind of the reason i have the cr's in an odd configuration.

my main concern with the rocket design is integrating a dual deploy chute system, never used anything but motor ejection before. i have checked into the avionics which seem pretty easy and straightforward, i was an integrated avionics journeyman in the usaf for 5 years, my problem comes with how the main chute would blow out properly.

from what ive seen the dual deploy systems use 2 charges to blow the drouge then main. the initial chute would blow at apogee from the nose cone simple enough. my dilemma comes with the main deployment. the charge from what ive seen seems like it would blow the chute down into the main tube into a bulkhead ontop of the mmt ideally i would want the charge to blow forward pushing the chute upward. I realize that the shock cord between the tubes should pull the chute back out to properly deploy but if i could get the blast blowing upward out of the mmt bulkhead that would be ideal. i guess i just need to look around get a good altimeter and mock up some ideas. thats what this project is all about anyway. thanks for the feedback keep it coming

my dilemma comes with the main deployment. the charge from what ive seen seems like it would blow the chute down into the main tube into a bulkhead ontop of the mmt ideally i would want the charge to blow forward pushing the chute upward.

If I'm following you right, you've got the main in the lower section.

This is backwards from normal.

At apogee the rocket splits in half, fincan connected to payload with shockcord,

Small drogue attached a few feet down shockcord from the payload.

Then as if falls the drogue keeps the payload above the fincan.

When main fires it blows of NC and deploys chute out the front, keeping everything from getting tangled.

No worries about blowing the main into bp on top mm.

Design looks good.

I understand not going full tang, keeps weight down in rear, where you don't want it.

Taking another look at your design:

I see it might be advantageous to separate at the transition, rather than NC.

A little trickery and it will Work. I did it with a LOC Norad Pro Maxx, which has a transition like yours, when I converted it to DD.

Taking another look at your design:

I see it might be advantageous to separate at the transition, rather than NC.

i have been thinking of making the transition tube the top half of the avionics bay. and thanks for the better explanation of the dd system i really need to see a dd rocket and how its rigged before i take this rocket off of paper and into construction. I joined nar today so hopefully someone will have them 1 or 2 when launch season comes around that i can check out in person.

Really like i said before tho, im a total rookie to rocket design and any technical advice is welcome. keep it coming, and if anyone is interested ill post up my .rkt file after i polish it up and make sure the length and weight of the components is as close to real as it can be.

Please do post the rocksim file as this is sweet design. I have a hand turned 3 inch nosecone I got for $2 at LDRS which would could work with this. It would whistle like crazy due to the fin design.

I am about to start sourcing the parts for this project once i get my pml mystic and my two flis mmx kits done so if you were willing to part with the cone id start it early haha. ill get the rocksim up once i pull the file off of my netbook later tonight.

Here is the rocksim file its not the polished finished version i have a few weights, the dd sys, and other misc things to redo but im tired and that can get done tomorrow lol

View attachment GBTBravoI.rkt

Latest posts

Back