Stupid question about batteries

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duodenumnums

Reaction score
I feel dumb asking this but…will it drain a 9V battery if I keep it hooked up to the connector but don’t actually have the switch armed?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
The answer is it depends. It is possible to have a small leakage current if the circuit is complete, but turned off. For example, I have a battery powered window shade that eats batteries even though I rarely use it. There is some leakage current in that system. Sort of like the low current used to determine continuity in launch systems.

If in doubt you should physically disconnect something so that no power can flow.

The answer is it depends. It is possible to have a small leakage current if the circuit is complete, but turned off. For example, I have a battery powered window shade that eats batteries even though I rarely use it. There is some leakage current in that system. Sort of like the low current used to determine continuity in launch systems.

If in doubt you should physically disconnect something so that no power can flow.
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess when I think about it, it’s only taking about half a minute of my time lol

I feel dumb asking this but…will it drain a 9V battery if I keep it hooked up to the connector but don’t actually have the switch armed?
The only dumb question is the one you don’t ask!
In your case, if the switch is between the battery and the avionics, AND the switch is not faulty, then you’re fine not having to disconnect. If in doubt, disconnect.

Believe it or not, I have a headlamp which drains batteries when it's off, slowly. Of all the devices to have an idle current..... And no, it's not a "smart" headlamp.

By far the best way is to simply take the battery out of the circuit, i.e. take the connector off the battery. Which is what you intend to do anyway.

As was mentioned above, some devices - not saying yours does - have leakage current that slowly drains a battery. In a case such as this, it is best to fully disconnect the battery from the circuit.

The other way to completely disconnect the source is to use a 2-pole, single throw, switch. Both the (+) and the (-) will each get connected to a pole and when the switch is opened, the battery is isolated. Miniature 2-pole switches are generally no bigger or not much bigger at all than a single-pole switch.

Having had a hangar full of rather large RC aircraft I can tell you with all certainty that just having the (-) of the battery connected in a circuit can lead to corrosion if left unattended for extended periods. It can destroy electronics. For short periods of time, it shouldn't be an issue though.

Back