Streamer recovery question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vigilante_A-20_DEMON

Reaction score
So, i'm a BAR that recently got back into the hobby. Question is, what is the lowdown on rockets that use a streamer recovery system instead of a parachute? I ordered the Estes Goblin and found out it's has a streamer instead of a parachute. I went to YT and saw some videos of the Goblin in flight. The Goblin was coming down pretty quickly, and seemed to come down MUCH faster than if it had a parachute. I was wondering if i should attach a chute instead. I'd hate to bust fins off the thing so soon, it could land on concrete, who knows, or should i trust the streamer method? This is my 1st rocket that uses a streamer, and i'm not quite sure about it. Basically have you guys had any rockets damaged because of a badly unmatched steamer. The Goblin seems like it should have a chute. My Twister has a chute and it's a much smaller rocket, i can see a chute on a small rocket like that, but not on one the size of the Goblin. Maybe just my paranoid inexperience.

Last edited:
Sounds like a small enough rocket, should be fine on a streamer. At least for grass and dirt. If you fly on concrete, I hate to let any of them land!

The terminal velocity on most LPR rockets is so low that adding a parachute is perfunctory. Streamers aren't really even necessary, but they do provide some flutter and added visibility.

The Goblin uses streamer recovery because, when flown with a parachute and the recommended D12 motor, there is a greater than zero percent chance of a looong recovery walk or losing it to the wind altogether. Yes, it comes down quicker on the streamer and yes, I've popped a fin or two when flying it; a little super glue for a quick field repair is your friend here. The relatively long fin span almost guarantees that the fins will hit the dirt first and at an angle. The other recommended motor, the C11, will still put it up around 600-700 feet or so and any wind at all could send it well beyond your recovery area on a chute.

That said I have loved this little rocket ever since I got one free with purchase back in the day. I have successfully flown it with 18mm C6 motors and even a B6 during lulls in the Texas wind using a 4 foot launch rod (I did use a 12 inch chute for that flight). A very fun flyer.

In general, streamers are great model rockets up to 2-3 oz (just my numbers, not a rule), for small field flying and flying in windy conditions. And definitely avoid landing on concrete whenever possible ! :)

Last edited:
In general, streamers are great model rockets up to 2-3 oz (just my numbers, not a rule), for small field flying and flying in windy conditions. And definitely avoid landing on concrete whenever possible ! :)

+1 for streamers in windy conditions. Some years ago my son and I built an Estes Alien Invader, which is a great lightweight kit. We did multiple successful launches on C6-5 and C6-7 so it was going pretty high. As we were flying on a hill top, we substituted the poly chute with a 10:1 streamer made from mylar. The streamer worked fine landing on grass, and even on one occasion when it hit a surfaced road the damage was minimal - just a broken stabiliser stick (the Alien Invader has two projecting backwards from each 'ram tube').

So, i'm a BAR that recently got back into the hobby. Question is, what is the lowdown on rockets that use a streamer recovery system instead of a parachute? I ordered the Estes Goblin and found out it's has a streamer instead of a parachute. I went to YT and saw some videos of the Goblin in flight. The Goblin was coming down pretty quickly, and seemed to come down MUCH faster than if it had a parachute. I was wondering if i should attach a chute instead. I'd hate to bust fins off the thing so soon, it could land on concrete, who knows, or should i trust the streamer method? This is my 1st rocket that uses a streamer, and i'm not quite sure about it. Basically have you guys had any rockets damaged because of a badly unmatched steamer. The Goblin seems like it should have a chute. My Twister has a chute and it's a much smaller rocket, i can see a chute on a small rocket like that, but not on one the size of the Goblin. Maybe just my paranoid inexperience.

The Goblin is DESIGNED for Streamer recovery. It is a D powered Very High flying model. Even with a Small 8 --10" Chute it would almost certainly be a single Flight "Fly & Bye" model.

I've been flying Goblins since they were originally released back in the stone age 70's. My original was lost to a D13-5 Cato but my second one was semi-retired with over 130+flights to rebuild a new one using the original Nosecone, fins, customized shock cord, motor hook and Launch lugs. It like the original recover with a 2" x 120" crepe paper Orange streamer. All those flights on Grass, dirt and sometimes gravel or concrete landings only had one or two fins receiving minor damage.

130 flights on several 2" x 120" crepe Streamers. The streamer did get replaced several times over the years but it ALWAYS brought the Goblin back within the flying field.
Do yourself a favor: don't give in to the temptation to switch recovery methods from streamer to chute.. You'll be happier if you stick with the Streamer.

PS: The crepe paper streamers work great as long as the surface corrugation remains, when the rough surface has been crushed flat replace with a new streamer to keep bringing the Goblin down nice and gently.

Goblin-1-sm_1st Fleet b&w_04-03-71.jpg

Last edited:
The crepe paper, as mentioned, is a GREAT LPR streamer! You could always build it, then see what size streamer would be appropriate to give you the landing speed you're looking for...

Love the Goblin!
532524_10200159613058961_1580914989_n.jpg

Later!

--Coop

Back