Stratologgers Available????

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are people programming altimeters in the field?

Of course . . .

Newbies, last minute "deciders" rushing to a launch, university students, and people
realizing their settings won't let them properly fly the field, or the RSO suggests your
settings need a tad readjustment. Just naming a few conditions that crop up during
a launch season.

Of course . . .

Newbies, last minute "deciders" rushing to a launch, university students, and people
realizing their settings won't let them properly fly the field, or the RSO suggests your
settings need a tad readjustment. Just naming a few conditions that crop up during
a launch season.
Just seems like one of those things that can/should be avoided by preparing properly before heading to the launch site.

Eggtime quark... no programming, just 3 jumpers. Easy to setup 2 if redundancy is needed, too. Just wish there was another jumper to have 2 beep patterns, to tell them apart.
That sort of misses the point of just put it in your rocket and fly when you have to solder for 1-2 hours to assemble and then test it to make sure it works.

That sort of misses the point of just put it in your rocket and fly when you have to solder for 1-2 hours to assemble and then test it to make sure it works.
Ya' know, that's two precious hours you'd miss out on of yelling at the wife, kids and pets to leave you alone while soldering.

Just seems like one of those things that can/should be avoided by preparing properly before heading to the launch site.
Agreed, but sometimes conditions change and you have to make settings adjustments. For example, if the wind comes up a bit you may want to drop the main chute deployment altitude. Ditto (and especially true) for a two-stager... you may want to lower the sustainer ignition delay if the wind picks up.

I can throw a Quark together in 20 minutes, add 10 more for Christmas Light test, in a jar with vacuum; powered by lab power supply, so I can monitor power draw.

[ If you really don't want to spend the time, there are people who will build and test for you. So it is, just put it in and fly.... but you already know that. ]

I just realized/remembered the quark DOES change tone when you select the drogue as +1sec. So 2 together are different sounds

I need to go power up 2 of them and see what it sounds like.

Eggtime quark... no programming, just 3 jumpers. Easy to setup 2 if redundancy is needed, too. Just wish there was another jumper to have 2 beep patterns, to tell them apart.
Quantums are easy, too. Bluetooth connect to phone, web page rendered by the Altimeter, all options easily adjusted on the page. Everyone has a phone...

Last edited:
I miss the simple altimeters. You plug them up, and they work. I don't particularly appreciate pulling a computer out on the field to reprogram one. Perfectlite and Missileworks meet this want. I would not call it a requirement, but I can program the rest, but it is much less desirable in my book.
Amen Chuck.

True. Stratologger and featherweights used to be the only ones that worked with a Mac. Now we are down to the Blue Raven. Altus is available on IOS reportedly. I have never tried it.
Hello - I'm jumping-in a bit late here but just wanted to say that the Altus Metrum altimeters have software which runs on a Mac (64 bit - i.e. the latest versions): From their website: "AltosUI runs on Linux, Mac OS X and Windows. It's written in Java and offers the same functionality and interface on all three platforms. A small platform-specific library communicates with the USB interface on the Altus Metrum devices". (The iOS app from Altus is called AltosUI at $19.99 and is meant to be used with their full radio telemetry product line. I'll have to look into that).

Concerning Stratologger CF: I have written again several times this month (Oct 2023) to Perfectflite but no reply this time. Peter is a great guy and as people have written, the Stratologger CF is a workhorse that is rugged and reliable. BUT with the Perfectflite software for Mac still only 32 bit I have to run it on my 2010 MacBook Pro -- won't work on the new macOS's since Catalina (that's 5 years ago now).

So I'm trying an Altus Metrum EasyMini and so far it seems great. Software runs on my newest Mac and technical support is fast and very helpful. I do agree that the beeper sound could be louder -- I'll write to Bdale at Altus Metrum and suggest that they make the beeper louder (or get that stethoscope!!)

OK finishing my Terminator-5 rocket - it will be 30 lbs and first flight on a CTI Pro54 white thunder 5-grain (if it ever stops raining in northern Europe!)

Stephen on Wednesday 25 October 2023

I agree -- 64 bit software for Mac would be great. (I hear some computers running the Perfectflite Windows software are also having trouble running Perfectflite program on their computers…)

OTHER: When I recover a flight with a Stratologger CF it beeps out the maximum altitude (in feet) and the maximum speed reached (the manual says this is in miles per hour). BUT when I dig-out my 2010 Mac and run the Perfectflite software, the graph shows altitude in feet but SPEED IN FEET PER SECOND - fps. So I am a bit confused… Is the beep-beep speed reading upon recovery really mph or?? (or is the graph really mph and not fps??). Just seems a bit odd that they would use 2 different units.

Thanks for any comments anyone!

Stephen Wednesday 25 October 2023

I agree -- 64 bit software for Mac would be great. (I hear some computers running the Perfectflite Windows software are also having trouble running Perfectflite program on their computers…)
The Perfectflite software for Windows doesn't work on Windows 11. I can't even get it to work when I set compatibility mode back to Win10. It does run on a 6 year old laptop that isn't capable of running Win11 so was never updated.

I have no issues running the Perfectflite software on win 11. Win 11 seems to be a huge resource hog. I couldn't get my camera software to run on a Acer system with specs twice the performance of my 2014 laptop. Had to go to the very high end Asus Zenbook with an I9.

I have no issues running the Perfectflite software on win 11. Win 11 seems to be a huge resource hog. I couldn't get my camera software to run on a Acer system with specs twice the performance of my 2014 laptop. Had to go to the very high end Asus Zenbook with an I9.
Did you do anything special to get it to run on Win11. The software will run on my desktop on Win11, it just doesn't connect to any comm ports and if it does, it doesn't talk to the altimeter. It just seems like the USB/comm port connection is my issue. Is there a new driver that can be used?

Did you do anything special to get it to run on Win11. The software will run on my desktop on Win11, it just doesn't connect to any comm ports and if it does, it doesn't talk to the altimeter. It just seems like the USB/comm port connection is my issue. Is there a new driver that can be used?
Downloaded a new copy from the Perfectflite site. Installed without issues and recognized COM3. Downloaded the 2 flights from 3 weeks ago, also without any problems. Also recognized the (several hundred) files in my altimeter flight folder downloaded into my older Win 10 laptop that died. Replaced with new Asus Zenbook running Win 11. If you have problems, you can always go to the .exe file properties and set compatibility mode to Win 10.
The last good Windows was Win 7. Why does Microsoft keep changing it? Keep the good one and keep updating it! Use separate apps to add new features. Each new version does things just a little differently:mad:

Downloaded a new copy from the Perfectflite site. Installed without issues and recognized COM3. Downloaded the 2 flights from 3 weeks ago, also without any problems. Also recognized the (several hundred) files in my altimeter flight folder downloaded into my older Win 10 laptop that died. Replaced with new Asus Zenbook running Win 11. If you have problems, you can always go to the .exe file properties and set compatibility mode to Win 10.
The last good Windows was Win 7. Why does Microsoft keep changing it? Keep the good one and keep updating it! Use separate apps to add new features. Each new version does things just a little differently:mad:
It works so they have to break it.

I switched over to the Altus Mini and have never looked back. Lipo friendly by design and super easy computer interface.

Oh....and they're seemingly always available!
Hello -- I'm testing an Altus Metrum EasyMini for my new Terminator-5, all fiberglass 5" diameter, 8.6' tall rocket. I'll use this as backup with my Stratologger CF as the primary. Because the EasyMini software runs on a modern Mac (I'm MacONLY since 1989…) it's another reason why I'll be switching to them BUT as people in this discussion have mentioned, the voltage and continuity beeps are quiet so so so quiet… I can barely hear them in my garage during testing-- I've tried changing the beeper frequency but that doesn't increase the loudness. Just wondering if you or anyone has any thoughts here and YES I am seriously looking a stethoscope - Greluma Mechanics Stethoscope Engine Diagnostic Sensitive Hearing Tool for Cars, Trucks and Motorcycles is perhaps better than a "medical" one??

Well thanks for any comments - I've written to Altus Metrum -- they generally reply very quickly but with a possible launch soon I just want to get some ideas here. (I'll post what they say).

Steve on Wednesday 1 November 2023

Hello -- I'm testing an Altus Metrum EasyMini for my new Terminator-5, all fiberglass 5" diameter, 8.6' tall rocket. I'll use this as backup with my Stratologger CF as the primary. Because the EasyMini software runs on a modern Mac (I'm MacONLY since 1989…) it's another reason why I'll be switching to them BUT as people in this discussion have mentioned, the voltage and continuity beeps are quiet so so so quiet… I can barely hear them in my garage during testing-- I've tried changing the beeper frequency but that doesn't increase the loudness. Just wondering if you or anyone has any thoughts here and YES I am seriously looking a stethoscope - Greluma Mechanics Stethoscope Engine Diagnostic Sensitive Hearing Tool for Cars, Trucks and Motorcycles is perhaps better than a "medical" one??

Well thanks for any comments - I've written to Altus Metrum -- they generally reply very quickly but with a possible launch soon I just want to get some ideas here. (I'll post what they say).

Steve on Wednesday 1 November 2023

Sending you a PM so as to minimize thread drift...

I built an Eggtimer quantum recently which I will use in tandem with an SLCF + EggTimer wifi miniswitch so I won't be needing another one... I've gone over to "the EggTimer side"
So funny you say that, I plan to build a quasar and run with the SLCF as backup because I'm not confident in my soldering skills. 😂

So funny you say that, I plan to build a quasar and run with the SLCF as backup because I'm not confident in my soldering skills. 😂
I built two mini-switches for the two SLCF's I have first. Then I decided (since they both worked!) to do a quantum instead of trying to get another SLCF (that was over a year ago!).

For the people who have been waiting for the Stratologger CF to get back into stock and then snapped them up, what are your favorite features/qualities about this altimeter?

Latest posts

Back