Stratologgers Available????

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDramstad

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have used Stratologgers since I got into High-Power but have had no luck getting any this last couple years. Has anyone succeeded in getting any this year? Any word on when they may be available again?

I have used Stratologgers since I got into High-Power but have had no luck getting any this last couple years. Has anyone succeeded in getting any this year? Any word on when they may be available again?
They become available for an hour at a time every few months. From what I can tell Perfectflite is just making small batches, and they sell out quick.

With all the great altimeters out there at the same price point, where you get great customer service, constant firmware updates and software that works....why is people not moving on to someone who supports your purchase. I agree, they are rugged as heck, and just plain work. But support those that support thier products.

As I see its there are 3 options for altimeters, Perfectflite, Missileworks, and Altus Metrum. You can add EggTimer if you have good soldering skills. Perfectflite if tough to acquire and I have heard nothing to say this is going to improve.

As I see its there are 3 options for altimeters, Perfectflite, Missileworks, and Altus Metrum. You can add EggTimer if you have good soldering skills. Perfectflite if tough to acquire and I have heard nothing to say this is going to improve.
Don’t forget featherweight, the raven4 is pretty well proven and they’re raising the bar for functionality expectations with the Blue Raven.
https://www.featherweightaltimeters.com/

I did pick up a few of the Altus Metrum Easy Minis but the beeper is so quiet I can barely hear it.
Have you tried to change the tone, maybe a different range will make it easier for you to hear?

Have you tried to change the tone, maybe a different range will make it easier for you to hear?
That doesn’t help. I had several EasyMinis until I decided to sell them because I had trouble hearing them. It’s a very good altimeter, but the quiet beeper is a show stopper for me. Too many times I’ve had to mount a ladder and have my ear against the avbay to hear the beeps, particularly when using a redundant setup. I want to be able to hear them from solid ground.

Last edited:
I used to have a couple of SCFs but for some strange reason decided to sell them a few years ago. That wasn’t one of my smartest decisions! Yes, most of the other altimeters available provide the same or better functionality, but the SCF had an ideal size, functionality, reliability, price and very audible beeper. I’ve been trying ever since then to purchase another pair or two, but it’s near impossible. Almost makes me want to develop a clone!

Thank you. I do not know why that did not come to mind.
One reason comes to mind, they are not in the same or close to the price point of the Perfectflite Stratologger CF's, the Missleworks, Eggtimer, and the Altus metrum Easy Mini all straddle the price point of the Stratologger CF and have as good or better than functionality for the price.

That doesn’t help. I had several EasyMinis until I decided to sell them because I had trouble hearing them. They’re a very good altimeter, but the quiet beeper is a show stopper for me.

If hearing or interpreting beeps is an issue, the Blue Raven shows you continuity voltage for all the channels on your phone at the pad, along with the readings for all the sensors.

I used SLCFs for years and I do think they make an excellent product (especially at that price point), but, once the SLCF became almost unobtainable and I tried other altimeters, I quickly realized I don't miss the SLCF at all. My biggest pain point with the SLCF was updating it on the field. It was a huge hassle for me to hook it up to my laptop or try to figure out how to use the button (and beep codes) on the SLCF whenever I wanted to make a change to the settings. Most Eggtimer products and the Blue Raven can update/arm wirelessly using a phone app and the Missile Works RRC3 and RRC2L (very comparable to an SLCF) can be easily and quickly updated using their LCD device. Most of the Eggtimer products that can't update wirelessly have a pretty straightforward DIP switch config. At URRF this year, I had an older rocket with an SLCF in it that I had forgotten to set up at home and remembered how much of a pain it was to set it up at the launch. When I got home, I replaced it with an RRC2L.

I have very little experience with Altus Metrum products, so I can't really opine on them.

One reason comes to mind, they are not in the same or close to the price point of the Perfectflite Stratologger CF's, the Missleworks, Eggtimer, and the Altus metrum Easy Mini all straddle the price point of the Stratologger CF and have as good or better than functionality for the price.
True. Stratologger and featherweights used to be the only ones that worked with a Mac. Now we are down to the Blue Raven. Altus is available on IOS reportedly. I have never tried it.

All Eggtimer products will work with a Mac too. The UI's don't use an app, the current products either use a browser or jumpers (Quark), and the older ones used a serial terminal interface.

I switched over to the Altus Mini and have never looked back. Lipo friendly by design and super easy computer interface.

Oh....and they're seemingly always available!

I switched over to the Altus Mini and have never looked back. Lipo friendly by design and super easy computer interface.

Oh....and they're seemingly always available!
Sounds like a Reeses Peanut butter cup ..add.

Not Sorry!

Tony

I moved to missileworks rrc2+ and rrc3 altimeters. I got tired of waiting for new product from perfectflite.

Sharon and I have over twenty dual deploy rockets we fly on a regular basis. Most of them are redundant systems, but the primary altimeter in each and every one is a Stratologger. Some of them have never been programmed, still set for main at 700 ft. Never had one that didn't work. Can't say that about Missleworks, still fly them too. I've got a bunch of RRC-3's and RRC-2's that fly backup, but I wouldn't trust them as primary. Even have a couple of Altus Metrum products and a Blue raven that I haven't even tried yet, but they won't fly without a Stratologger as primary.
If you don't want to mess with your Stratologger, let me know, I'm always ready to pick up another one.
I still check the Perfectflite webpage on a regular basis, and have extra's for all my builds for at least another year or two.

You guys are gonna really make out when I die and Sharon starts selling stuff.....

I was going to standardize on Stratologgers back in 2020, snagged 2 and that was it. Since I want common components across my E-Bays, I'm now standardizing on Eggtimers (Quantums and Quarks, primary and backup). If you build them clean, they just work, and the price is right.

I miss the simple altimeters. You plug them up, and they work. I don't particularly appreciate pulling a computer out on the field to reprogram one. Perfectlite and Missileworks meet this want. I would not call it a requirement, but I can program the rest, but it is much less desirable in my book.

I miss the simple altimeters. You plug them up, and they work. I don't particularly appreciate pulling a computer out on the field to reprogram one. Perfectlite and Missileworks meet this want. I would not call it a requirement, but I can program the rest, but it is much less desirable in my book.

Eggtime quark... no programming, just 3 jumpers. Easy to setup 2 if redundancy is needed, too. Just wish there was another jumper to have 2 beep patterns, to tell them apart.

I'm 100% with you on that.

Eggtime quark... no programming, just 3 jumpers. Easy to setup 2 if redundancy is needed, too. Just wish there was another jumper to have 2 beep patterns, to tell them apart.

Another reason I liked the SL... Slave LEDs. I'm deaf so I wire in LEDs (epoxied to the wall of the airframe) for everything so I can see status without having to make out with my rocket.

There are people programming altimeters in the field? I just do that at home ahead of time... and preferably have the entire e-bay built up so that all I need to do is install the e-matches on the outside and load the charges, then I shut them down and download the data when I get back home.

I have a Raven3, three Stratologgers, and a Quantum in active use right now. I can't imagine making more than five dual deploy flights in a single day. If I need more altimeters in the future, I would go with more Quantums before waiting on more Stratologgers.

Another reason I liked the SL... Slave LEDs. I'm deaf so I wire in LEDs (epoxied to the wall of the airframe) for everything so I can see status without having to make out with my rocket.
Come on Mike, you don't like getting all warm and fuzzy with your rocket....... 🤣

Back